X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jasperjacko
    started a topic Drag race modoba

Drag race modoba

Hey all, My car is not a drag car. 1981 cordoba ls 360 904 2400 stall 484 mopar cam 2.21 open rearend . I took it to Norwalk ohio 2 weeks ago and ran my first 1/4 mile ever after reading DRAG RACE 101 ( thank you to the guy who posted that info) What a blast. My car ran a best that day of 14.176 @ 97.? Friends thought it wouldn't get out of the 15's, so I was very happy with it. I put the car together to be a comfy cruiser with some pep. I'm putting in a 3.55 sure-grip now and hope to be ready to go to dragway 42 on saturday to see what it will do. Hoping for a 13.5 or maybe better? I'll let you all know asap.

• jasperjacko
    replied
    Sorry no Norwalk report. Went there for the Monster show, but they said I had to pay 150 bucks to run the car. I said No. They were running a points series for the weekend, so even if you were running for fun for the day, you had to pay 150. I have since sold the drag radials and mag 500's. I prefer the look of the factory wheels. I'll continue to tweak the fuel/ignition and launch technique to improve it on the street tires. I picked up a innovate motorsports a/f moniter to check and tune the carb more precisely. I'll post the results when it gets a little warmer.

Leave a comment:

• Crizila
    replied
    Mine wasn't a drag car ether - at one time.Click image for larger version

Name:	cage seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	242185

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    No norwak report??

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    Waiting for results

Leave a comment:

• jasperjacko
    replied
    Tested the drag radials today.....Big difference. Between the spring mods and the sticky shoes, it feels like it might pull low 13"s. We shall see. Also put in a 120 gph fuel pump, just in case I run the juice in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Crizila
    replied
    Beautiful car. Approaching it right and having fun. Good for you. Won't be long before you will be approaching the line of "demarcation " - street car vs race car - and decision time.

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• jasperjacko
    replied
    Pics of Modoba with Magnums and drag radials. Still need to get center caps.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    Good for you? Stiffening the front part of the spring really works it is exactly what the ss springs do with an extra short on the rear pass on top of that. (why they sit a tad rear pass high) At this stage you should be fine with what you did.

Unclamping the rear of the springs (especially the back clamp) to let then fan out a bit helps too! Stiff front segment soft rear seems to be the ticket.

Leave a comment:

• jasperjacko
    replied
    Havn't had much time to go to the track this summer, but hoping to go to norwalk for the Mopar show in sept. I got the rear springs re-arched and added a 1/2 leaf to the front half and it seems much better. The car doesn't twist to the pass. rear corner anymore, it just stands up like a ss spring would act. Picking up some drag radials tomorrow and looking forward to a 13.5 or better?

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    8.25 ones hear
    http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/adpinsnib.html

Leave a comment:

• jasperjacko
    replied
    Well, the tracks are open again, and I hope get a few runs in soon. My brother has a set of 275-60-15 bfg drag radials on 8.5" rims he said I could try. Thinking about an ajustable pinion snubber. Does the 8.75 snubber work on th 8.25?

Leave a comment:

• Andy Closkey
    replied
    You are approaching this in a great way, I think. 13.70s for that heavy car is great performance. I'd keep tweaking that combo without making major component changes like intake and such, because I'm sure there are a truckload of parts you could throw at it to make it quicker. FWIW, my opinion is that Performer will work better than the 360 stocker intake. That port size difference actually has some performance advantages.
    Some ideas:
    I'd consider less timing to bleed off some bottom end.
    When at the track, run it with the vacum advance disconnected and set total timing
    You can undo the front sway bar for some weight transfer.
    Play with burnout / dry hops for best traction. May take a few runs.

I'd be shocked if you got that car below a 1.80 60' time, but all you need is a 1.90-ish to run low 13s.

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    torque convertor

Please also remember, convertor stall goes higher when the engine HP and torque does also.

All convertors actually have 2 different "stall speeds". The more you load the convertor against the brakes at the line, the stall RPM is actually LOWER than if you let the engine idle and floor it at the right time to obtain a "flash stall". Also remember that with the higher stall speed you go to, you LOSE convertor "lock up" if you will, and your MPH could also suffer. Hope this was a little for you to think about==Curt
    Last edited by hemisatellite; 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM. Reason: fergot sumpin

Leave a comment:

Working...
X