Drag race modoba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque convertor

Please also remember, convertor stall goes higher when the engine HP and torque does also.

All convertors actually have 2 different "stall speeds". The more you load the convertor against the brakes at the line, the stall RPM is actually LOWER than if you let the engine idle and floor it at the right time to obtain a "flash stall". Also remember that with the higher stall speed you go to, you LOSE convertor "lock up" if you will, and your MPH could also suffer. Hope this was a little for you to think about==Curt
    Last edited by hemisatellite; 11-19-2012, 11:09 PM. Reason: fergot sumpin
    Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
    "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
    I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

You are approaching this in a great way, I think. 13.70s for that heavy car is great performance. I'd keep tweaking that combo without making major component changes like intake and such, because I'm sure there are a truckload of parts you could throw at it to make it quicker. FWIW, my opinion is that Performer will work better than the 360 stocker intake. That port size difference actually has some performance advantages.
      Some ideas:
      I'd consider less timing to bleed off some bottom end.
      When at the track, run it with the vacum advance disconnected and set total timing
      You can undo the front sway bar for some weight transfer.
      Play with burnout / dry hops for best traction. May take a few runs.

I'd be shocked if you got that car below a 1.80 60' time, but all you need is a 1.90-ish to run low 13s.
      1970 Dart - 318 12.39 @ 109
      1965 Chevelle - 388 10.18 @ 128
      1994 Redline Jr Dragster - 10.22 @ 62
      1999 Dodge Ram - Cummins
      1986 Winnebago - Cummins

Comment

Well, the tracks are open again, and I hope get a few runs in soon. My brother has a set of 275-60-15 bfg drag radials on 8.5" rims he said I could try. Thinking about an ajustable pinion snubber. Does the 8.75 snubber work on th 8.25?

Comment

8.25 ones hear
          http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/adpinsnib.html

Comment

Havn't had much time to go to the track this summer, but hoping to go to norwalk for the Mopar show in sept. I got the rear springs re-arched and added a 1/2 leaf to the front half and it seems much better. The car doesn't twist to the pass. rear corner anymore, it just stands up like a ss spring would act. Picking up some drag radials tomorrow and looking forward to a 13.5 or better?

Comment

Good for you? Stiffening the front part of the spring really works it is exactly what the ss springs do with an extra short on the rear pass on top of that. (why they sit a tad rear pass high) At this stage you should be fine with what you did.

Unclamping the rear of the springs (especially the back clamp) to let then fan out a bit helps too! Stiff front segment soft rear seems to be the ticket.

Comment

Pics of Modoba with Magnums and drag radials. Still need to get center caps.
                Attached Files

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Beautiful car. Approaching it right and having fun. Good for you. Won't be long before you will be approaching the line of "demarcation " - street car vs race car - and decision time.

Comment

Tested the drag radials today.....Big difference. Between the spring mods and the sticky shoes, it feels like it might pull low 13"s. We shall see. Also put in a 120 gph fuel pump, just in case I run the juice in the future.

Comment

Waiting for results

Comment

No norwak report??

Comment

Mine wasn't a drag car ether - at one time.Click image for larger version

Name:	cage seat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	242185

Comment

Sorry no Norwalk report. Went there for the Monster show, but they said I had to pay 150 bucks to run the car. I said No. They were running a points series for the weekend, so even if you were running for fun for the day, you had to pay 150. I have since sold the drag radials and mag 500's. I prefer the look of the factory wheels. I'll continue to tweak the fuel/ignition and launch technique to improve it on the street tires. I picked up a innovate motorsports a/f moniter to check and tune the carb more precisely. I'll post the results when it gets a little warmer.

Comment

Working...
                              X