Drag race modoba

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag race modoba

Hey all, My car is not a drag car. 1981 cordoba ls 360 904 2400 stall 484 mopar cam 2.21 open rearend . I took it to Norwalk ohio 2 weeks ago and ran my first 1/4 mile ever after reading DRAG RACE 101 ( thank you to the guy who posted that info) What a blast. My car ran a best that day of 14.176 @ 97.? Friends thought it wouldn't get out of the 15's, so I was very happy with it. I put the car together to be a comfy cruiser with some pep. I'm putting in a 3.55 sure-grip now and hope to be ready to go to dragway 42 on saturday to see what it will do. Hoping for a 13.5 or maybe better? I'll let you all know asap.

Their all drag cars I once ran my 1980 Lebaron at a mopar day and lost in the 5th round semis just short of a trophy dialed at 18.88 LOL. Got cooler and suddenly went a 18.69 break out! :-) hotter than hell had a bee in the car for one run LOL try to concentrate on the tree when the bee lands on the back of your neck! and it was still fun not as much as my GTX that would run 12's at the time but was broken.

Comment

link to my car http://www.forfmjbodiesonly.com/clas...4108#post14108
      Last edited by jasperjacko; 09-27-2012, 06:51 AM.

Comment

You definitely short shifted and let off before the end of the 1/4 not enough to make much difference!

Comment

Ran Modoba today with the 3.55 s.g. Could not get it to hook up hardly at all. Best run 13.880 @ 97.52. I was really hoping for 13.5-6. Oh well, still runs ok for a street cruiser I guess.

Comment

Yup, a gear change usually makes traction go away. Just about have to roll off normally and then slowly mash the loud pedal. Not bad tho!

Comment

So what were your 60 foot 330 and 1/8 mile and 1/8 mile mph!
              Shift point!
              So how far out would it spin.
              where were you?? Street nught traction is worse on a street night.

Hmm small pair of slicks now.
              Is that 8.25 3.55 one legged (one wheel peel)
              Mid to low 13's are a real possibility if you work on hook!

Congrates on moving to the next level (13's)
              I'm off to a Mopar fun day.

Comment

It's a sure grip, 3.55 ,best run spun maybe 20-30'
                60'-2.01
                330-5.73
                1/8-8.87
                1/8-mph 77.6
                shift point 5200

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

I picked up only .3 mph and .290seconds. All my et gains were in the 60'. thought I would get more mph due to quicker acceleration?
                Last edited by jasperjacko; 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM. Reason: fuzzy math

Comment

Not bad get it down to a 1.68 short and you will gain .4 to .5 easy.

Shift at 5800

wonder if your running the bowels low on fuel?? one thing leads to another

What were your sixties on the 14.17 run?? before!

I ran a 12.70 at 80 mph today

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Then a 10.5008 @ 129.3 next run! 1.475 60 foot!
                  1.469 best 60 foot

Comment

I was at a different track this time, not near as nice. I don't want to run a different tire, I want to run well on what I have. I want the car to handle and drive nice also. Maybe I want too much?! I know I need to be more gentle on the go pedal, but it's hard to be disciplined when the light says GO! I raised the front ride ht. about an inch(headers scrape) this may help a little with weight transfer?

previous best 60' was 2.175 I also had a full tank of gas. thought the traction benifit would outweigh the weight!

---------- Post added 09-30-2012 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-29-2012 at 11:55 PM ----------

[QUOTE=dodgeboy8;178571]Not bad get it down to a 1.68 short and you will gain .4 to .5 easy.

Shift at 5800

wonder if your running the bowels low on fuel?? one thing leads to another

What were your sixties on the 14.17 run?? before!

I ran a 12.70 at 80 mph today

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Then a 10.5008 @ 129.3 next run! 1.475 60 foot! Your cars a Beast! I don't know if it's possible for mine to get a 1.68 60' time.
                    Last edited by jasperjacko; 09-29-2012, 11:06 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Air and wind direction has a lot to do with times as well as traction! What track were you at Friday night??
                      Get a couple spare rims and nice little 7 inch slick these will fit on a 6" rim and have some fun. Then i could see 1.6 short times.
                      You were probably spinning when you hit second gear also.
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PHX-PH366/
                      these will fit a 7 to 9 inch rim
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3052/
                      this will fit a 7 or 8 " rim
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-18110D06/
                      14" slick
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MTT-3020/

Now some tracks only allow street tires on some nights!
                      so a drag radial
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HOO-17310/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-49256/

14" "
                      http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-85154/

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Now one hint I used to do and I got down to 1.68 on a TA radial (not a sticky tire)

I would do a good burn out! Then torque the car as high as I could without pushing then on the last yellow a quick jab of the throttle but only to about 1/2 way down. (this let the built up energy propel you ahead with out loosing traction) the I would easy the throttle to full through the 60 foot feeding as much as it would take without it breaking loose.
                      kinda trial and error but got my GTX to 12.05 on street TA's later went to a drag radial and lowered that to 11.79 when the car would run about 11.3's with open headers and slicks.

Comment

What size tire are you running now and at what PSI? How much of a burnout are you doing? Is the SureGrip working like it should be?

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                          What size tire are you running now and at what PSI? How much of a burnout are you doing? Is the SureGrip working like it should be?
                          sure grip is working great, 2 even black stripes. tires are cooper cobra 255/60/15 on 7" rim @ 25psi
                          Track was Dragway 42 in west salem ohio
                          Last edited by jasperjacko; 09-30-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Narrow rim I would try 18 or less pounds when running down the track.
                            Maybe 15 or less.
                            :-)

Comment

Section width of 255mm on a 7" rim? So, tread width on that tire should be around 9"....it should be on at least an 8" rim at the minimum. If the tire tread is 9", then it would perform better if it were on an 8" rim and even better if it were on a 9" rim. A narrow rim will try to pull the edges of the tire off the ground on the launch and proper PSI for street driving will too. It will also handle better on the street with a wider rim....

Comment

Working...
                              X