I coulda had a v8...........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ronnysplymouth
    started a topic I coulda had a v8...........

I coulda had a v8...........

I've had this little D50 for a few years and been wanting to do this.......its a 318/904 completely stock but have cam/lifters, roller rockers, and eddy intake ready to go on but wanna get things associated with the swap sorted out first......so far this thing fits perfect except a little long.......I still have to pull it out and purty it up but mounts are built and its bolted in as of now.......

• ronnysplymouth
    replied
    After I finish this one I started

Leave a comment:

• hemi67s
    replied
    Thought you were done with the T/A cars.

Leave a comment:

• ronnysplymouth
    replied
    So all along the plan has been to drop my 55 Dodge pickup cab onto this chassis so here is the beginning of that process.......some of you have already seen this.....I'm trying to finish a T/A restoration and then will make lots more progress but here is where I'm at for now

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by 270SE View Post
    Interesting. I don't see why that cam couldn't run smooth but I also wouldn't use it in a 4-by either.
    A relatively mild cam can sound more radical if it's set in retarded. A retarded cam usually is louder in the exhaust too. A guy I know that went to the track for the first time had a problem with the car being way slow and being way loud couldn't figure out what was wrong. I told him what it sounded like to me but he chased his tail and changed everything including the converter before he finally stuck a degree wheel on it. Sure enough, the cam was way back. Initially, he installed the cam using the dot method. Most times you can get away with that but there will be a time when it will bite you in the arse. I even degree in a stock build just to make sure the parts are marked right and you know what, they are very seldom on the money. And it's not hard to do and the parts needed are not that expensive and can mean the difference between a good running car and one that's a screamer!

Leave a comment:

• 270SE
    replied
    Interesting. I don't see why that cam couldn't run smooth but I also wouldn't use it in a 4-by either.

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    I agree

like cranky said, it might be advanced a bit much. BUT for what it's worth, when we took carbs off and went injected, no more lope, steady 1200 RPM idle and had a bad lag when I stomped on it (like going from one carb to a bigger one). we actually had to RETARD the cam 2 degrees and a little lope came back and the lag was gone. If that's of any relevence I don't know, you obviously went to more cam and carb kinda like my change. I'd damn sure get a degree wheel on it!

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Did you use a degree wheel when you installed it? You may have ended up with it advanced some if you just used the dot method. It's a toss up when you use the dots. The cam in my buddies Demon idles really rough and has no low end at all...but he used the dots and not a wheel. It surprised me that he did that because I have a wheel etc....

Leave a comment:

• ronnysplymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    What's the idle like? The cam sounds very similar to a .480 lift that a buddy stuck into that 72 Demon 318 I've mentioned in the past. It runs 102 in the 1/4 using a stock converter. It's flat dead off the line but screams from 3000 to 6200. We stuck Mopar Performance stamped rockers, lifters and MP push rods in it and no have no problems running.
    Suprisingly the idle is almost completely smooth which is not what I expected with the lift and duration.......I'm assuming because the obvious slack in the valvetrain I'm not getting full lift or duration....?

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    Originally posted by ronnysplymouth View Post
    I gotta say it was way more work than I anticipated.......getting it low enough in the engine bay and clearance at the steering box was my biggest headaches thus far
    Looked at the vids & pics... the D50 should be fun runnin' for beers with
    Last edited by zij576ca; 12-28-2011, 02:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    What's the idle like? The cam sounds very similar to a .480 lift that a buddy stuck into that 72 Demon 318 I've mentioned in the past. It runs 102 in the 1/4 using a stock converter. It's flat dead off the line but screams from 3000 to 6200. We stuck Mopar Performance stamped rockers, lifters and MP push rods in it and no have no problems running.

Leave a comment:

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    You likely need new pushrods and stamped rockers because of wear or adjustable rockers and corresponding Pushrods.
    Comp cams 7692-16

or Mancini brand MRE69691-16
    Mancini Racing Enterpises

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 AM ----------

I'm wondering if the cam is cut on a slightly smaller base circle which would make up for the usually head cutting?? this would make wear in the pushrods and rockers much more relevant??
    But my gut tells me you ended up putting the pushrods with most wear paired with rockers with most wear! New set is cheap?
    Hyd. 318 - 340 - 360

Hyd. 318 - 340 - 360
    OEM style replacement hydraulc pushrods

Set of 16
    $39.95
    MRE102

Leave a comment:

• ronnysplymouth
    replied
    I took it for a drive tonight and it ran good but the lifters are still rattling albeit not as bad. I guess its time for the roller rockers I have stashed away but need pushrods first. I've been fighting a leak but eventually found a crack in the intake but JB weld is holding at least for now. Must have some steep gears cuz the rpm's seemed kinda high but without a tach its hard to say.

Leave a comment:

• ronnysplymouth
    replied
    CAMSHAFT: Performer RPM Hydraulic
    CATALOG #7177
    ENGINE: Chrysler 340-360 c.i.d. V8
    RPM RANGE: 1500-6500
    Use stock ratio rocker arms only.
    Duration at .006" Lift: Intake 308 Exhaust 318
    Duration at .050" Lift: Intake 234 Exhaust 244
    Lift at cam: Intake .325" Exhaust .340"
    Lift at valve: Intake .488" Exhaust .510"
    Timing at .050 Lift:
    Open Close
    Intake 10 BTDC 44 ABDC
    Exhaust 59 BBDC 5 ATDC
    Intake Centerline: 107 Lobe Separation: 112

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I wouldn't use this cam in a 4x4

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    cam

What cam did ya finally go with and from who? I don't wanna have ya out do me! :ROFLMAO:

Leave a comment:

Working...
X