OEM Hood Back On!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM Hood Back On!

Finally after much to do.. I got my OEM steel hood back on the 62'. I got really tired of needing two people to lift off the fiberglass hood - and real tired of it sliding off the darn roof!!! I think this one fits and looks a lot better too.
    Good thing about this project was the hood frame on these 62s has a center circular area in the frame that was almost perfect. Of course with the motor sitting off to the passenger side it does not line up perfect but it works and looks like it was meant to be!. To get enough clearance for the rear of the 14" air cleaner I had to cut into the frame about 1/2" all around the circle. Basicly the frame was cut back a 1/2" more than the hood skin and then the skin was rolled over onto the frame and welded.
    I reused my old glass scoop of course and also reinstalled the OEM hinges and springs, and was even able to reinstall the hood latch with a bit of modification to clear my electric fan. I put a couple of hold down latches on the front for added security - and the "cool factor". All in all I think it came out great and it is so nice to be able to open and raise the hood like a normal car! :clapping:

Looks good!
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

The fiberglass hoods on both Coronets, the Aspen, the Demon, and the Whale all operate on stock hinges.

That said -- I prefer the look of a metal hood unless the car is raced regular. I have a metal hood on 63.

Very clean engine compartment layout. So many people neglect this area.
      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Looks great.
        Shawn
        72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
        89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Looks nice! I also used stock hinges with a glass hood on my 66 'ratified' Belvedere and used light weight springs on it.

Comment

My glass hood had a piece of metal square stock formed in at the rear to bolt up to the hinges but it just didn't seem strong enough - even with no springs at all. I tried it a couple of times but when I moved the hood to open or close it the darn thing crackled and sounded like it was going to break so I gave up. I think this steel hood looks better than the glass one too. Between the typical waves and ripples of the glass and having had 6 pins in it this one looks a lot cleaner when its closed.

Thanks for the compliments on the engine bay, I feel the same way. I see so many otherwise nice cars at shows that the owners don't even try to clean up the engine bay on. I like to keep then physically clean - and nicely laid out and neat. But then again I've been told I'm a bit anal about these things too...

Heck, this the engine bay on my 94' Ford pickup. I bought it new in 94' and it still looks about new, inside and out.

Comment

I gave up on our 2000 Durango. My wife would always find a reason to drive it in lousy weather shortly after a full detail. I kept that thing clean inside and out for years. Heck, the last time I washed it, I did all the jambs and fender wells and then she went over to the oldest daughter's place which is on a dirt road after a late afternoon shower and got it all full of mud. She just can't take one of the other vehicles that are usually already dirty. The heck with it. If she wants to do that crap, she's got it.

Comment

No springs on our hinges -- and some serious reinforcing in the area the hinges mount to the hood. No latch in the front -- a pair of hood pins hold the hood down.

Buy again, unless you race the car competitively and need the weight savings -- I prefer a steel hood.
                Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Working...
                X