1969 Charger R/T Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Charger R/T Restoration

Welcome to my restoration thread. I first started this restoration on 9/23/2008. My first intentions were for me to freshen up the valvetrain and get it running. That never materialized as we soon found out that the engine was siezed. That did not really matter as this was a 440 from a 1977 Dodge Ramcharger 4x4 truck. The transmission is from a St. Louis built Roadrunner (I think). Ironically this transmission is correctly date coded for the car and it was coincidence. The car, when we bought it was F6 Bright Green, which is a shame, I really liked the color and hoped it was really a F6 car, but the rusty fender tag cleared it up fast. I wanted to build a triple tan hemi Charger at first but then a double blue 440 4-speed, then a 440-auto in double blue, and now I was talked back to by the fender tag. I have come to like the F3 green. I believe this was a dealer stock or sales bank car as to the fairly spartan options.

Well back to the resto. I took the 440 Torker intake off and I cleaned the sludge out of the valley. I scrubbed and scrubbed with a wire brush to clean the valley of slude. I also took the aftermarket MOROSO valve covers off. The heads were 906 heads and a look at the date code revealed they were original to the car, and had been transplanted to this parasitic engine. The intake that was in the trunk was from a 1974 440 I believe and of course it did not fit. I removed the rocker arms and shafts to access the head bolts, I got most of the head bolts off. Then there were a few that would not budge. I dropped that project and slapped the valve covers back on for a while.

So your plans are to do a stock build then?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes. I was about to load some pics from the beginning.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:14 PM ----------

More photos

Comment

bump

Comment

That's a nice car. Looks like a good project.

Comment

A 440 intake that doesn't fit a 440? Chargers are just cool!

Comment

Here's more for ya

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
              A 440 intake that doesn't fit a 440? Chargers are just cool!

Yes that's right, I thought it was wierd too, could have been a 400 intake. IDK.
              Last edited by 426HemiCharger; 01-18-2011, 07:12 PM.

Comment

bump

Comment

Working...
                X