Crossbreed...Dakota and Forward Look?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GaryS
    started a topic Crossbreed...Dakota and Forward Look?

Crossbreed...Dakota and Forward Look?

My latest project is a '56 Plymouth Belvedere 2-door hardtop. It's pretty much a basket case with no engine or transmission and lots of rust in the floors and trunk. Fortunately, patch panels are available, and since I'm going to farm out the body work, I'll concentrate on the stuff that makes it go.

I'm researching ideas to modernize the drivetrain, brakes and suspension, and have looked at Fatman and other Mustang II-type stubs, but I'm not too impressed, and the cost is rather high.

A better option might be to transplant the front of a Dakota frame so I can have a modern Mopar engine, transmission, disk brakes, R&P steering, and front suspension all in one package.

I already have a B-body rear end that is a bolt-in for the old Plymouth, so that's not a problem.

I made dimensioned CAD sketches of both the '56 and a '92 Dakota frame, and it looks encouraging. It appears that the two frames have nearly identical dimensions, and intersect about 10 inches in front of the first body mount, which is the perfect place.

Has anyone done a Dakota transplant in a car of any kind?

I believe there have been three different frames used on the Dakota over the years, but the only FSM drawing I have is from a '92. I know the wheels changed from 5-6 lugs, but the early 5-lug rotors will interchange with the later models, and there are two inch drop spindles that would place the wheels in almost the exact same spot as the original '56 wheels.

If you've been there and done that, I'd like to pick your brain.

• GaryS
    replied
    Not a lot going on this winter, but I've been doing a few things on the interior recently. I still can't post larger photos here, but they show up larger on the blog.

http://56plymouth.blogspot.com/

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    Slow going, but the front and rear glass is in, and yesterday the motor went in. Lots of small stuff going on, but not much to show.

Sorry for the small pic, but the software doesn't like me. Says I'm not authorized to post bigger sizes.
    Slow but sure has turned into mostly just slow. The front and rear glass is in, and yesterday the motor went in . Lots of small stuff to keep me busy, but not much to show in pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Unfettered
    replied
    Gary, It's looking very good so far. I only wish I had the time and funds to do anything like you are doing.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    The pic is from photobucket....

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Test.....

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    I finally got over a hump that's been holding up progress. I'd been waiting for a calm morning so I could paint the body outdoors and this week has been calm every day. I now have two coats
    of paint applied and in a few days I can color sand.

While the paint is curing, I'm finishing the front disc brake conversion and getting the engine and transmission ready to mate and install. If the weather holds so I can color sand outside, I should have the drivetrain in place in a week or so.

I tried uploading a photo, but apparently the new software doesn't like my jpg.
    Last edited by GaryS; 09-14-2016, 03:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied
    Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. ~ Steve Jobs

That's the funny thing about goals, we never realize they are disguised dreams. Also funny about dreams, we never realize they are such until they are reached.

Of course, that leads us to the journey. Sometimes, they are not solely your own. We are taking it with you and are inspired. That's one thing those with dreams never realize. We're walking the path with you, bud. It may seem dark to you now, but to us it is not. Keep going. For what it matters, it matters to us.
    Last edited by nonstick; 03-31-2016, 07:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    I know the feeling. My back gives me grief if I do too much and these days too much isn't very much and I'm only 65.....

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    Some days I just look at it and shake my head when I think of how much money and time I have invested in a rust bucket that should have been used for parts. Since it's not stock, it will never have any collector value, and it's not a race car, and after I'm gone it won't have any sentimental value to anyone. It's a pointless project in every way, except for the satisfaction I get from creating something totally different than anything else on the road.

Time is what I'm fighting right now. I'm nearing 75, so I'd like to get it running soon, but I keep wasting time with the odd-ball things like the pushbuttons and custom steering wheel. I really need to just concentrate on easier solutions, as I no longer have the stamina or the desire to fight unneeded battles...and before long I won't have the ability.

Leave a comment:

• nonstick
    replied

updates

Leave a comment:

• gsmagnum
    replied
    That old poly is some serious under hood jewelry.
    Hopefully the shift mechanism isn't too much more of a pain to finalize.
    You are making great progress. It was nice to catch up on your blog.
    The old girl has come a long way.

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    Things are going together at a slow pace, but at least it is happening. The body is mounted on the frame, the engine and transmission have been rebuilt and the engine fit checked to the new motor mounts. The dash is ready to assemble, and the seats and door panels should be complete sometime this month.

As soon as I finish the transmission end of the modified pushbutton shifter mechanism, I can install the engine and transmission. Then I'll begin routing new wiring and brake lines.

Lots more details on my blog: http://56plymouth.blogspot.com/
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryS View Post
    A little more body work done and finally got the front suspension and disk brake conversion kit installed. I also finished creating the custom 3-speed pushbutton shifter pod to replace the old 2-speed PowerFlite setup.

Looks good! And my high school days weren't that great either until my senior year....knowing it was my year lol

Leave a comment:

• GaryS
    replied
    A little more body work done and finally got the front suspension and disk brake conversion kit installed. I also finished creating the custom 3-speed pushbutton shifter pod to replace the old 2-speed PowerFlite setup.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X