No announcement yet.

Crossbreed...Dakota and Forward Look?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SB Dakota frame option does give you a correct style engine as an option too, not necessarily forcing you into a SB or mod motor.
    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

If you have any charity car auction sites in your area, you may be able to find a relatively cheap donor. They seem to pop up on auctions in MN fairly often.
      Will a V6 frame towers on the earlier Dakotas (87-90) work for a V8? It might not give you all parts in one, but it at least would give you a start for the frame project.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Sorry to see you had a stroke earlier in the year. I hope the docs have you all fixed up at this time.
      The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
      Ronald Reagan

Comment

Finally got the rear end installed and the frame painted. As you can see, my work area for sandblasting and painting is behind the garage.

I still haven't decided what to use for a front clip, so I didn't bother to sandblast it yet. It took five bags of media and the better part of two days just to do the back half, so I wasn't going to waste more effort on the front if it's not needed.

I've also been cleaning and polishing stainless parts when I can. Many of the interior parts were badly rusted and it takes forever to sand and buff them out. A few things were beyond repair and I'll have to find replacements. Here are before and after shots of the courtesy lights. They aren't perfect, but they are good enough for a driver.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

My better half decided that we needed to move back to the Denton area, so I've been designing a new house for the past two months when I should have been working on my car. At least the new house will have a heated and cooled work bay for my project cars in a detached workshop, so I won't be at the mercy of the elements all the time.

If everything goes as planned, we should be moving sometime in April, so I'm not going to send the body to be stripped until that time, as I don't want to move it back and forth twice. In the meantime, I'll have plenty to do cleaning, painting and polishing all the detail parts.
        My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

It sounds like you will have a heck of a nice workspace. This will be pretty nice when finished.
          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

Wow, what a difference in the lights you made!

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
              Wow, what a difference in the lights you made!
              That's one thing nice about the older cars. They have lots of parts made from stainless instead of chrome-plate or plastic, so you can cut deep to get the rust and still sand and buff it out.

Comment

So was a full dakota frame swap out of the question? I have a pair of 55 Plymouths that I got as a project, but because of the cost to rebuild the suspension I never did anything beyond swaping good parts off the Plaza to the Beleveder. Seeing how yours goes, I may decide to keep it.

Comment

The Dakota frame is totally different than the Plymouth from the firewall back. In my opinion, it would take too much work to modify the frame for clearance and body mounts.

Comment

As I mentioned, I still haven't decided which direction to take for the final design. I'm leaning toward building a Fury tribute, but I'd like to hear some opinions.

The '56 Fury was very distinctive with the gold anodized spear and gold trim, but I always thought the spear didn't look quite right. I've been playing with the design in Photoshop and made a few changes that I think makes the design flow a little smoother.

The first picture shows the stock spear. The upper horizontal chrome follows the downward curve of the fender and does nothing to emphasize the upsweep of the fin. The spear also appears somewhat heavy.

I modified the spear by getting rid of the gas door, making the width of the entire spear about 1-1/2" narrower, and changing the angle of the upper chrome to match the fin. Am I the only one to think it looks more balanced?
                    Last edited by GaryS; 12-27-2011, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I like the narrower spear as well. I think a lot of the stuff done in the 50's look better with a few tweaks. But then again, cars from the 50's have almost 60 years worth of age to them as well.
                      "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                      -Groucho Marx
                      Moparless for now

Comment

I think the modified pic looks better too but then again, I like the Belvedere trim better....

Comment

that's not a crossbreed; at least you're keeping a Mopar ALL mopar; now if you were wanting to do the unthinkable like waste the body on a Chevy drivetrain like so many idiots do, that would be a "crossbreed"...

Comment

I 'think' it would look better with the top stainless being a straight piece...wonder if some of the stainless from a 57 would work...course trying to find the piece and then modifying it might be a trick. Know you want to go 'Fury' on this but what about silver tone instead of gold tone.

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                              that's not a crossbreed; at least you're keeping a Mopar ALL mopar; now if you were wanting to do the unthinkable like waste the body on a Chevy drivetrain like so many idiots do, that would be a "crossbreed"...

Actually, it's more like inbreeding.:ROFLMAO:

Or if you want it to sound better, call it line breeding.
                              Never take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Looks like some of the 57 Belvedere's came with a straight piece of stainless on the top side. But then some of the 57 Belvedere's had a step up at the fin.

Comment

Working...
                                X