Crossbreed...Dakota and Forward Look?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    Didn't Ron Podsiadly do something that used a Dakota frame? I think his user name is moparron?

He used minivans ( don't remember if it was Voyagers or Astros) for COEs
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Durangos and Dakota chassis are different....especially different from the early Dakota up to 96. In 97, the Dakota made a huge change and the Durango is similar when it came out in 98. Ron used a Dakota chassis iirc, for something other than a COE....

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
        I think RadMan....no longer on this site, did the Volare clip welded to the notched stock frame. I looked into it and didn't like the results.

Mark at Texas Thunder said the Mustang II really wasn't strong enough for street use in such a heavy car, of course I was putting a big block in mine. It might work for a small block.
        I dont buy that at all..................there are thousands of rides big block and all running MII with no problems.......You have to use the aftermarket crossmember and box the frame but they are quite nice setups..............I'd trust it over the stock stuff in those cars anyday.

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I've never done a volare style front clip but there should not be much welding to do......the whole unit pretty much bolts in.
        Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

If you google search IFS Failures... you can get a lot of info about the Mustang II......due to the new link limitations I aint posting the pictures.
          His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
          2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
            Does the Dakota and the Durango have the same chassis?
            I'm pretty sure they were from when the Durango came out until the redesign with the Hemi. ('03 or '04) But they were like the '97-03 Dakota which is a bit different than the '87-96.

As far as I knew Astros were RWD small vans.

Putting the stub onto a frame it didn't come on is a big deal. It will only be as strong as its weakest link. A lot of room for failure unrelated to strength of the front suspension's components. The Volare/Aspen subframe will allow for a big block, early Hemi, header access, will handle as well as your rear suspension would. Also can use the fast steering kits.
            '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
              If you google search IFS Failures... you can get a lot of info about the Mustang II......due to the new link limitations I aint posting the pictures.
              So I did just what you said and from everything I read it appears to be failures due to improper install or using inferior fasteners.............Those systems are designed to be used with strut rods and the failures come in when people go tubular control arms and eliminate the strut rods but do not reinforce the area where the bolt goes through the crossmember..........the reality is it appears to be a very small percentage of the units that are out there.......just know what your doing when you install it.
              Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

This is a very cool and idea and I hope it works out for you. Seems to be lots of Mopar peeps here that used the best of two rides to make a great one. "Mutt" sounds like a better terminology than cross breed though...you could even name it that, lol! I don't know....maybe not, you may have to pay someone on here royalties, he he!

Comment

The "mutt" distinction has already been claimed by my '73 D100. The last time I restifyed it, I made several mods using parts and pieces from other Mopars. It now has parts from: '65 Polara, '70 Duster, '76 Cordoba, '79 Aspen, '87 LeBaron sedan, '90 New Yorker, '91 Ram, '03 Grand Caravan, and a FWD L-body of unknown vintage. Add a bunch of homemade and aftermarket parts, and referring to it as a mutt is being kind.

This one will have a custom interior, as that's my favorite place to get creative, but it won't be as much mutt as my truck.
                  My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

Lots of changes were made from 96 and earlier and 97 up Dakotas and there are many differences between the Durango and Dakotas too. The front section is similar but from the firewall on back isn't the same.

Comment

^Exactly^

Also, the car is already IFS; MoPar had IFS since the 40s...

Comment

Progress has been slow the past couple of months, as I've been recovering from a mild stroke. Now that I'm almost back to normal, I was able to get one project completed. I built a cart so I can move the body around, and my son and I separated the body and frame last week. Now I have to find a way to get the body parts to Dallas so I can get them dip-stripped. A friend offered to haul them for me, but I'm thinking about buying a trailer...if I can convince the boss that would be cost effective.

One thing I did learn is that the B-body rearend is not a bolt in. The track is fine, but the perches will have to be moved.

Comment

Frame swap

I have been looking at doing something like this with a 56 dodge. so this is very interesting. I know the Dodge is a little differnt but very close. I think that the Ply frame is 2 inches shorter. Will like to see how things work out.
                          :clapping:
                          Originally posted by GaryS View Post
                          I don't have enough info about all the differences, so I'm not sure which year would work out the best. The only factory drawing I have of a Dakota frame is a '92. I have another from a collision repair book, but it doesn't specify the year and it doesn't show much detail, but it appears to be substantially different than the '92. I want to find more factory drawings before I begin a search for a donor truck.

I did learn that the Dakota rear end is not a bolt-in with the '56 frame, but a '66-'70 B-body is, and I was lucky enough to find one of them locally. I don't even have to move the spring perches.

Here's a sketch overlay of the two frames. The Plymouth is in blue and the Dakota in black.

---------- Post added at 08:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Comment

Progress continues to be slow, but I have done a few things since the last post.

Picked up some of the chrome yesterday. The pot metal was pretty bad when I brought it in, but they managed to make it look half-way decent. Since most places won't even attempt pot metal repair, I'm not going to complain about a few flaws.

The bumpers and guards are also done and stored in the garage attic, as is most of the stainless. I still have a few stainless items to straighten and polish.

Before:

After:

As soon as the shock mounts arrive, I can bolt in the B-body rear end. The spring perches had to be moved inboard about 1-1/8" to fit, but a trip to a local welder and $20 resolved that issue.

I still have to haul the body to Dallas for the chemical dip, but everything I do seems to depend on something else. U-Haul won't rent a car trailer with only a 3,000 lb bumper hitch on my truck. They said it has to be rated for 5,000 lb, even though the trailer and stripped body will be nowhere near 5k.

Since I had to put on a different hitch, I decided to swap my step bumper for the stock version before the new hitch is installed. So, now the bumper is in the chrome shop for a couple of weeks.

When I get the new rear end bolted in, I'll sandblast the frame. I still haven't decided if I want to do that myself, or take in to be done. Depends on how frugal and energetic I feel at the time.
                            Last edited by GaryS; 07-30-2011, 11:13 AM.

Comment

When I had my 64 Dodge truck (crew cab stepside. Coolest truck ever) I started researching what it would take to convert to a later model front clip, just for the IFS, brakes, etc, same reasons you want to do it.
                              I never went through with it but theres some good general information here...
                              Sweptline.ORG • Search
                              I couldn't get the specific page to link up, bit just type IFS into the search box.
                              It's truck stuff, but still some good info there.
                              Can I be frank with you?
                              Alright. Who should I be then?
                              AAAAAAAAAHAHAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

Comment

Originally posted by Jonnyuma View Post
                                When I had my 64 Dodge truck (crew cab stepside. Coolest truck ever) I started researching what it would take to convert to a later model front clip, just for the IFS, brakes, etc, same reasons you want to do it.
                                I never went through with it but theres some good general information here...
                                Sweptline.ORG Search
                                I couldn't get the specific page to link up, bit just type IFS into the search box.
                                It's truck stuff, but still some good info there.
                                Thanks for the link! There's a lot of info that will be helpful.

I still haven't decided which way to go, but the restoration shop that will do the sheetmetal repair and painting, thinks the Dakota option would be the best. If I can find a suitable donor for the right price, I'll buy it and give it a try. There are lots of other parts that I could salvage, even if I didn't do a frame swap. A core engine and transmission being a couple of things I will have to find.

Comment

Working...
                                X