No announcement yet.

79 Dodge Magnum rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking foward to see how the lights will turn out.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

I will keep you in the loop with the process if it works - Having never really torn one apart this will be my first. I found some clear sealant that I can use to put the pieces back to together. I will use the same thought process that is used when bringing headlights back to life just inside and out on the actual tail-light and headlight covers.

Comment

Great day - The car went to the box today to get hit with some black primer. Black is used to see all the small imperfections or any issues that may have been missed. The car does have a few small issues from blocking to a small dent that was missed when it was gray. Always something - but looks real good. FYI - The first picture is a 70- Duster that was found in the weeds - Slight mess but my friend is going to fix it up anyways. A new project when mine is done. I think it will take a little longer than mine though.

1970 Duster - Onced used to drag race been sitting in the weeds for some time now

Just before black primer

Noticed a small dent while shooting

Damm it !! Just when you think you got everything

Looking good !!

Yes - this is primer

This car looks mean and it is not even done yet

Comment

That Duster should be a great project for your friend. Very nice progress on your car!

Comment

The Duster looks like it is going to be a year long project. The frame is straight with some rust through but the fenders are all twisted. If he didn't know how to do body work himself than this Duster would be heading to the dump. Too much time and money to have someone else put this back together. Thanks for looking at my progress.

Comment

Looks good. You are making great time!
              Shawn
              72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
              89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Last week and a half spent cleaning up the small details on the car noticed from the black primer. The car is finally ready for the final stage of primer. This will be done tomorrow or Thursday. The old seals along the inside floor and truck have been removed. I need to fix a few holes in the truck and than reseal everything. I will let the car sit a few days while I get started on pulling the remaining suspensions parts and replacing some bushings. Still looking for decent interior pieces if anyone has knowledge of where to find them, or the best way to replace them.

Got to fix these hole in the trunk.

Comment

What interior pieces are you needing?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

The rear side panels from door back are my biggest issues. I think I can clean up the door pieces but the rear side pieces are not fixable. I can also paint the interior trim ( pieces around the window - made of metal ) pieces but it you are aware of any that look clean I would take those as well.

Comment

Nice work you are doing. It's always a drain on the wallet when you are doing a project even when you are doing the work yourself, trust me I know.

Comment

Thanks - My biggest thing is moving in a timely fashion. If I don't stay on top of it I will forget what bolts go where, In addition I will loss the drive to keep motivated - more so now that it is cold. Couldn't hit the car with the final primer because it was too cold yesterday. Today it looks like rain all day. Most likely another day of sitting around. Still waiting on all the parts needed to rebuild motor.

Comment

I know all about the getting cold and losing interest. i am in the same boat! Now i am just trying to save some money for the rest of the parts i need, and waiting on my soon to be 8 month long engine build. Good luck and try to keep after it!

Comment

Too wet and too cold to hit the car with the final primer coat. So I went Christmas Shopping. Maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Great day !!! Was able to finally get the car in the box. The first go at it resulted in a bad mix, The paint was drying almost mid-air on the spray. Change the mix and hit the rest of the car. This is the last primer before actual color. The car will need to set for a least a day before any work can be done. Monday the fenders , doors , deck lid , hood and front clip come back off to hit the areas missed. The car will sit a least another 8 days. If the weather is good - some 600 across the entire car and we will see if we can spray by the end of the year. I didn't make Christmas but taking the time to make the lines right was well worth the wait. The car looks like glass with a few dust imperfections that can be taken care of fairly quickly. Looks like the engine and suspension are going to be my Christmas project.

Car before red primer

Under deck lid and jams were sprayed first

You may not see it too well in the photos but needed to change mix- it was slow to spray and wasn't laying down smooth.

Taking a while to paint and take pics so will finish up and take pics in the morning.
                              Last edited by magnumfan; 12-11-2010, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Wow, that's RED primer!

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Working...
                                X