No announcement yet.

79 Dodge Magnum rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks - Letting car sit a while. Just finished up my 2nd blocking. Lines are looking real good.

Comment

Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
      On a side note if you own an 1980 Aspen RT you have a rare model. I think production on that car in 1980 was around 1k. Have you ever check the Chrysler registry?
      According to Galen's decoder book it's closer to 285.

So did I miss it somewhere, are you going back with red again?
      The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Yes - I am going to use the red found on some 95 ford mustangs. I am going to do the trim and bumpers in black chrome. Interior is going to remain white with some exterior color (red) in certain locations.

Comment

Sounds nice!
          The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Very little in the way of progress when you are looking at the pictures but the car has been blocked , primed and sanded 4 times. Letting sit in the sun today while I work on cleaning up the tail lights.

Comment

Getting closer to some paint. nice work!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yes - I am thinking with the next two weeks. I am picking up red primer this week. Still a ton to do when you look at all the little things. Christmas time may be a tough goal to make.

Comment

It has been a few days but nothing new with regards to Pics. They all look the same. I have been blocking and priming , blocking and priming , blocking and priming. I did find some time while waiting to fix the floor and remove the antenna. I liked the antenna but thought it would take too much away from the car so now it is gone. I can always bring it back if needed. I am at a stand still with the car until thursday when the new hinges come in. I can than mount the doors and get back to making sure the lines are right.

Comment

It has been a long week and my back is pretty much gone. The car is blocked and primed and ready for some black primer. I spent three days working on making the lines on this car look right. I needed to cut away a little on the hood to keep the line from the front clip up to the glass. I pulled the inner fender wells and added metal to the area where the battery formally sat. A ton of lookers this week - funny - not a single person came into the shop and knew what the car was. I could see that when the front clip was off but it is back on - The best was some kid asking me if I was going to put on some 22's". I told him that was reserved for Monte Carlos. I am looking for some Stop rust for the framing. I used POR 15 in the past but thinking about Chassis Saver Stop Rust - If anyone has used it I would look forward to feedback.

Side profile after blocking - Need to fill in holes from fender flares still before I am ready to add black primer - I will not be putting the fender flares back on at this time

Needed to cut away some of the door and fender to complete the line

replaced metal where battery once was - battery will be in trunk after restro

Was going to get new inner fenders but the olds one cleaned up good

Comment

Lots of work, but coming along nicely.
                      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Shop Frost King Foam Duct Insulation at Lowes.com

I bought the above at Lowes for about $12 a roll. Worked great on my floors, inner doors and roof.

WAY cheaper than the "name" stuff. If you order carpet, try rockauto.com. I bought the "mass backed" carpet. Much better underlayment than OE, on my 96 Impala SS.
                        Last edited by mikeceli; 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM. Reason: add
                        God Bless America!

83 Cordoba 01 Vette 79 "Bandit" TA
                        88 Lincoln VII LSC 96 Imp SS

Comment

Thank you - I will look into the website and insultation at Lowes.

Comment

Put everything in plastic baggies/storage boxes and usa a sharpie to mark everything.

I know THE engine man for Rousch Racing, Tom Ghent, he's a Mopar head and will build you the baddest engine in town! Look for his car to be at Carlisle next year.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up

Comment

Worked on the back end of the car to fix the lines with the decklid. Also started working on the clean up of the tail - lights. Besides chasing down a damm bee that wouldn't leave me alone the progress on the car was good. The truck is going to take some time to make right but nothing I can do about that.

Note arrow is pointing to area that needs some fixing

Inner fender turned out fairly well. Hit fender with a wire brush , sand paper and primed with PPG

Lights need some work as you can see. Need to tear apart each piece and clean up

Will paint the light housing metalic gray and clean inside with a bleach. If doesn't work I will polish up

Text on picture shows how lights will be setup after clean up

Comment

Working...
                                X