No announcement yet.

79 Dodge Magnum rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks - Thought so due to the way they mounted. The springs shouldn't need them. For some reason they were on the car when I bought it. At the time the car only had 12k miles. Why they had them on I couldn't say. The car sits great without them. Thanks again

Comment

• Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
      I wish I had a juck yard around my place that had the right cars. It seems like a simple little bolt. It is very specfic. Most of the T-bar bolts used a fine thread and were a little shorter than the one in the Magnum. I happy to see you guys are still following the progress. Just getting back in from DC yesterday and should get some work done today
      Can You send me a length and thread pitch please?
      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

• cc me on that too. Hemi, can you get them heat treated? I have an oven at work.

edit: I'm going over to my storage Saturday. I KNOW there's some extra Late B LCAs in there. I'm 95% certain they have extra bolts...
        Last edited by CudaZappa; 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM.
        1971 Challenger - Autocross & Track Day Project
        2015 Dart GT 6spd - Daily Driver

Comment

• bolts

Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
          cc me on that too. Hemi, can you get them heat treated? I have an oven at work.

edit: I'm going over to my storage Saturday. I KNOW there's some extra Late B LCAs in there. I'm 95% certain they have extra bolts...
          Hey Zappa!
          The bolts I'm trying to get for him are factory bolts. It might be better for him if you have a couple for him that you can warm up. Let me know pls.

Comment

• I am very thankful for your help in trying to locate this bolt. It is not an easy task as I am finding out. The bolt is a 9/16 National Course - 12tpi, it is 4" long from tip to tip. The bolt looks like a grade 5. Is this what you needed?

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Done for the day. Sanded down and repainted the firewall that didn't fare so well the first time. This looks much better but at last I am not a painter. More clear was added this time around and it looks ten times better but when it comes to the whole car I think a professional is the way to go. I will try next week with my pickup truck. It that gets screwed up - oh well at least I tried. Heading north for the weekend be back at it Monday. Have a great weekend everyone !!!

Resanded the firewall and preped for paint.

Much better than last time - Added clear and it really helped punch out the colors

Comment

• bolt

We have a Fastenall store about 5 miles from me, I just called them. If you have a Fastenall store near you, the bolt you need is part number 13269, grade 5, zinc plated and only $2.21 each. no store near you? Go to WWW.Fastenall.com and they will take credit card and ship to you. The Kansas City warehouse for them is showing 505 of them on hand.

Comment

• I've got a pair of factory Mopar ones in my truck now. Bolts and blocks. I'm gonna clean 'em up on Monday.

Comment

• Originally posted by hemisatellite View Post
                  We have a Fastenall store about 5 miles from me, I just called them. If you have a Fastenall store near you, the bolt you need is part number 13269, grade 5, zinc plated and only $2.21 each. no store near you? Go to WWW.Fastenall.com and they will take credit card and ship to you. The Kansas City warehouse for them is showing 505 of them on hand.
                  go to Home | Fastenal first. THEN enter the P/N

And no, it won't work.

Factory is fully threaded, 3 3/4" lg, and its hardness exceeds grade 8 Requirements. Also has a handy rounded lead for the adjuster so you can get them out and loose them after use.

Comment

• Originally posted by CudaZappa View Post
                    go to Home | Fastenal first. THEN enter the P/N

And no, it won't work.

Factory is fully threaded, 3 3/4" lg, and its hardness exceeds grade 8 Requirements. Also has a handy rounded lead for the adjuster so you can get them out and loose them after use.
                    I was just trying to help if and when all else might have failed. I did not bring up a picture of the bolts either, I'm glad you had a pair for him. Good Job!!!:clapping:

Comment

• So, did you get the bolts you needed?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

• Yes - torsion bolt is finally on its way. Thank you everyone for your help. it has been a process. I am blown away by how hard it was to actually find so for anyone rebuilding a magnum heads up. Thanks again everyone

Comment

• Sorry - on two accounts - One that is has been a month since my last post and the 2nd because some of the pictures attached are not mopar. I know shame on me. I left off with the car needing some prep work before the final paint. The attached pictures show the car in the paint booth after the front clip, fenders, hood and misc. plastic pieces were installed. As some of you may be aware I am not an automotive expert. I wish I was but it can be an art and I don't have the time to master the trade so before I paint the Magnum I thought maybe paint something else first to see how it comes out. Test the waters.. I choose my 1989 GMC pickup. The pictures are not mopar but they are in the name of helping my cause to make for a great looking mopar so hopefully you all cut me some slack( I am only showing the paint before buffing because it is not a mopar). The paint is not too bad for a single stage -green but at last as hard as I may try I am not painter. The magnum will be painted by a professional. All the prep will take place this week and L&S will end up shooting the final paint. There is just too much to understand when it comes to jet pressure , mix , weather , etc.. It took two times with the green on single stage so not interested in messing up the magnum. Should be a good week or two as the paint starts to get put down. The motor gets put in and the finer details get started. Fingers crossed that I am not called out of town again this month..

Front clip on has the magnum looking like it should ---

OKAY - TAKE IT EASY I KNOW IT NOT MOPAR

It came out decent but not 100% - fun to at least give it a shot....

Comment

• I think you are doing a great job!
                            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

• Nice work.

Comment

• I love what you've done so far. I had a deep chocolate one when i was in the military, it had big gold flakes. I put a 340 out of a 74? roadrunner in it and my dad tuned it up, you could stomp on it at 35 mph and it would turn sideways. Man I loved that car and am looking for one now. nice pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X