79 Dodge Magnum rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 Dodge Magnum rebuild

This is day one of my first restro. I am sure I will mess something up but I am going to try it anyways. I have owned three magnums in my car driving years but this is the first restro. I had this car painted some 20 years ago now and it has held up well. The time has come however to try something new. Today I am just going to pull the motor and interior nothing to important for pictures there. I would expect some hidden damage to surface soon enough.

Good luck on your restro! So are you going to just freshen your engine up or put another one in?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was just going to paint it becuase I had rebuilt it 18K miles ago but when I pulled the motor today I noticed a crack on the tranny bellhousing. I think I had the wrong converter and it caused the tranny and motor to be unbalanced. I took apart the motor and found the main barring was chewed up. So to answer your question - I am rebuilding the motor and replacing the tranny with a new 727. This first of many issues I am sure to find. Thanks for the interest

Comment

cool too bad about the tranny, motor, but it gives you an excuse to pull a little more hp out of there. put a stall converter in all that :P i like the paint. how are you gonna paint it in this resto?

Comment

Nice looking car, and the place to be to make your Magnum better. I'd love to see a 100% side shot of the paint scheme.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

For the paint I am looking to move away from the fade. I am going with on solid color. I have choosen the red on the 95 Ford Mustang. It has a little be of pearl to it and should punch out fairly well. I am thinking about removing the bumper guards on the front and back and painting it with black chrome as well the trim moldings will be the same black molding. I am not 100 percent sold on the black yet but the moldings are shot and to rechrome the bumpers is way to much.

Comment

More Pics!!!!! That's a great looking Magnum you got there!
              Good luck and have fun!:clapping: Look forward to seeing this build!

Comment

I did it - Interior is now out. The only thing left is the dash board. The interior pieces were in pretty bad shape - not sure what I am going to do with everything. The seats will be easy to redo but the side panels not so much. Taking a break right now as the passenger side mirror is a BIT... to take off. What a neat idea at the time - Lets have the driver be able to control the passenger mirror from behind the steering wheel. Not so much fun taking the damm thing out. The interior floor board is not too bad -no rust all the way through but all areas but the passenger side floor board area show signs of rust. In addition the orginal factor seals and sound deading materials are toast. Going to look for something to replace that material with. The first unexpected cost. Yeah !!

Comment

Thumbs up!

Wow! That looks scary and exciting at the same time!?

Comment

Found some sound proof for the interior. The same stuff that mercedes puts in their cars. With a little modifications it should be just fine. Back to work on the wonderful passenger side mirror. I am hoping to get the deck lid off, front clip, drivers fender and maybe just maybe get some sanding in today. I sent the motor out this morning to get cleaned up. It looks like a new main bearing and maybe a set of guides and it will be good to go. The crank and cam look good. The valves look almost new still and the manifold looks used but in great shape. I sent that out with the motor to be cleaned up.

Comment

Good looking Magnum to start with!! Wish I still had mine!

Comment

Thank you - When I painted back in 84 the colors you see now. I wanted something people would look at and my hope was to keep the car from seeing the junk yard. I am not sure I won that battle but it has picked up attention along the way. Everytime I took it out I found grease prints on the windows from someones forehead , nose and chin. A funny site !!

Comment

Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
                          Everytime I took it out I found grease prints on the windows from someones forehead , nose and chin. A funny site !!
                          That's funny:ROFLMAO:

Comment

Done for the day. Cut my hand up pretty good getting that stupid mirror off and it still didn't come out of there. Took drivers fender off , front clip , and moldings. Area were the battery sits is in rough shape. I am going to have to replace the metal there as well as the left rear lower quarter panel and a little on the deck lid. I found bondo in drivers door and a heavy amount in the area just pass the drivers door. I have a feeling this car is going to need to be Soda blasted. I don't have the time to sand this car down to metal like it should be. The rust around the seal between the drivers door and front fender is pretty bad and the front bumper shocks look like they are loaded with surface rust. I don't even think I can find those new so Soda Blasting it is.

Comment

Originally posted by magnumfan View Post
                              I did it - Interior is now out. The only thing left is the dash board. The interior pieces were in pretty bad shape - not sure what I am going to do with everything. The seats will be easy to redo but the side panels not so much. Taking a break right now as the passenger side mirror is a BIT... to take off. What a neat idea at the time - Lets have the driver be able to control the passenger mirror from behind the steering wheel. Not so much fun taking the damm thing out. The interior floor board is not too bad -no rust all the way through but all areas but the passenger side floor board area show signs of rust. In addition the orginal factor seals and sound deading materials are toast. Going to look for something to replace that material with. The first unexpected cost. Yeah !!
                              I know you found some insulation for your car already. This is the stuff I used when I yanked the stock heavy insulation off my firewall of my Dakota R/T. Stuff is half the weight, goes on with 3M glue and sound deadens perfect. Plus keeps the heat out of the truck. Bought the stuff from this site. Here is the link. EZ Cool Automotive Insulation heat barrier and noise reduction for cars, trucks, classic cars, street rods and much more
                              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cs/dansig2.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X