70 Duster mini build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Duster mini build.

Well, I decided to blow the cobwebs off the old Duster and start to get it back on the road. Some of the old timers might remember what it looked like back when I first joined up. I ended up smashing the passenger side fender pretty good and kinda lost interest in it but things are starting to look up and this is what I've got done on it this summer.

What it looked like then.

This spring I decided to pull the engine out to get a little rot fixed on the frame rail. It took a few years to even find a good one, seems like I'd see a listing for one and was always late getting to it before it sold.

Pulled the engine and waited in line to get to the frame machine at a buddies shop.

Waiting on the rollback.

On the frame machine. They chickened out on replacing the complete frame and decided to use the frame rail I bought for a patch. I was kinda disappointed but they plated the inside of it and I think it turned out stronger, really looked good.

I got it back and started measuring and double checking everything to make sure nothing was bent. I got lucky and found that the car was nice and straight.

I changed the filter in the transmission and gave it a coat of paint. Went through the engine and checked the bearings and threw some paint on it too.

Checking the fit of the TTI headers. They say to offset the engine 2.5"s to the passenger side but if you do it hits the fender. I put it where it was before and they fit like a glove.

At this point I had already ordered a coil over conversion for the front end and was waiting for it to come in.

It looks like it fits right, so that isn't the stock offset? I'd think too far to the driver's side would contact the steering. The headers look great by the way.
    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

I remember the crash.....always sad to see stuff like that and cool that you're getting it going again!

Comment

Things kinda snowballed and I ended up with a full on front end.

Found out real quick my welder wasn't up to the task so I had to come off some unexpected cash to get another with a little more power.

This side turned out much better I ended up with a Hobart 140.

Put some of summitracing's chassis paint on it with a coat of rustoleum on top.

Welded up the heater holes and started sanding down the engine bay.

I was going to hit it with some semigloss black and be done with it but I figured if I came this far I'll put a little color on it. I put a couple coats of primer on it and dry sanded it down then put two more then wet sanded.

The cars original color was orange so I figure a quart of paint would do the engine bay till I priced the paint. They wanted $120 for just the paint!

I ended up getting a little different shade of orange (omaha) from Automotive Paint, Auto Paint, Car Paint I ended up with a gallon of primer and a gallon of paint with the reducer and activator for less than $150 shipped.
        It's cheap paint but I thought it sprayed pretty nice and it laid down down smooth.

It looks better in person than in the pics.

Started putting the front end back in it.

---------- Post added at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Originally posted by 270SE View Post
        It looks like it fits right, so that isn't the stock offset? I'd think too far to the driver's side would contact the steering. The headers look great by the way.
        Yep it's the stock offset. 5.25" up from the K frame (center of the crank) and 1.25" offset to the pass side. I guess tti wants the 2.5" to clear everything but the front tube on the header just rubbed on the pass side on mine.
        Cranky even measured a car he had for me and came up with the same measurement.

Comment

Wow! Looking good! And I found out many moons ago that having a welding machine with more power than I needed was the best way to be and a good one can always be turned down.

Comment

A pic of the Afco shock and coil. 3855m/bnc reactor it has 5" of travel and is a single adjustable shock. I wont be making any serious power for a while so this will work out pretty good.

Engine back in and I roughed in the engine plate.

I'll post some more pics later on today.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
            Wow! Looking good! And I found out many moons ago that having a welding machine with more power than I needed was the best way to be and a good one can always be turned down.
            Thanks cranky, I'd still like to get a 220 welder but this old house needs the wiring updated before I can get one.

Comment

Very nice! Really nice front end, i like it!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

NICE!!!!!!
                Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax

Comment

My old house was kinda like that too but I managed to work my old Lincoln 225 on a 30 amp breaker. It would trip it when I had it cranked up over 100 amps when welding a trailer together. After I moved and built a new shop, I wired it with 100 amp service but I'm pretty certain my MillerMatic 200 MIG would do fine on a 30 amp breaker if it wasn't cranked up for something heavy duty. If you have a plug for an electric dryer, it should be 220v and 30amps....and that's what I used at my old place. Wasn't married at the time so there was no wife to complain about the dryer being unplugged lol And that is some good looking stuff you're doing!

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                    My old house was kinda like that too but I managed to work my old Lincoln 225 on a 30 amp breaker. It would trip it when I had it cranked up over 100 amps when welding a trailer together. After I moved and built a new shop, I wired it with 100 amp service but I'm pretty certain my MillerMatic 200 MIG would do fine on a 30 amp breaker if it wasn't cranked up for something heavy duty. If you have a plug for an electric dryer, it should be 220v and 30amps....and that's what I used at my old place. Wasn't married at the time so there was no wife to complain about the dryer being unplugged lol And that is some good looking stuff you're doing!
                    Thanks cranky, I think my fuse box is only rated for 32 amp maybe 60..lol..it has the old fuses that screw in. I thought about making a long cable to plug in the dryer but I would need about 50' to reach the carport, plus I have central air running off it. I have an electrician for a friend and where supposed to trade a wiring job for a paint job on his house but it hasn't happened yet.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

The front end allows the use of your factory spindles and brakes but mine where pretty much trashed from sitting so I got a Wilwood kit for the front. This is their new/semi new zero offset kit with 11" rotors comes with the 4.5" or 4" pattern will fit inside a 15" wheel. My first go at the safety wire went pretty good after a few tries.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Now it was time to fire it up! Over look the rusty covers and old school coil etc. I was running a little low on the cash and all this stuff still works, I'll change them out later on. What a mess. It never did start with the key and after putting in a new switch I found out the neutral safety switch harness was fried so this is all temporary and will be cleaned up later. It started right up then disaster stuck. I had the engine and trans in and out of the car a bunch of times and never put in a new front seal on the tranny. Headers had to come back off and I pulled the trans and put in a new seal. Fired it up again and for got to put the filter back on! Instant oil change! http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/ima...y_laughing.gif Yep no filter.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Crudy alternator on a nice bracket.

Off the stands for the first time all summer. You can put this front end all the way down in the weeds if you want.

Getting a tan.

Those specs are rust coming through already.

Again ignore the rust and the long spark plug wires.

No more ground dragging headers for me.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

This is how it's sitting today. I finished out the alignment and put the hood back on it. I'll start getting the fenders on it tomorrow and hopefully take a short ride.

Here's some video if it works. I still need to work on the wiring and get it looking decent again.
                    The engine is a pretty mild 360 that's been bored .040 with 9:6:1 compression with the old 280-480 cam, heads have the bigger valves and some lite porting done to them. It was really clean inside and the bearings looked good. I didn't see any point to doing much more to it but put the intake on. It'll be enough engine to get the rest of the car done and everything sorted out when I do the rear suspension. Then after that I'll build something with some balls.

The neighbor wants to know when I'm putting some mufflers on it. :ROFLMAO:

Comment

I mean this in a good way but you suck....LOL J/K .............Thats the EXACT color I painted my old Duster............funny how things snowball huh? I'm totally diggin it buddy........................Is that an old 4 speed car ? Looks like it from the trans tunnel shot. Very Nice work by the way......I bet you watch those vids over and over huh?
                      Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

I see eye candy! Gotta love the sound of a sb Mopar.
                        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...cs/dansig2.jpg

Comment

Yes it's a manual trans car. I was going to put the 4 speed back in it but I would have had to get another driveshaft made and buy a new shifter. I figured it would be cheaper to keep it auto. After putting the headers on and trying to get the front mounted shifter cable back in it routed around the trans cooler lines, I knew I was fighting a losing battle..lol.. I could have bought a shorter cable and made it work but I ended up putting a cheeta shifter in it with the cable coming in from the back of the trans. You can shift it with one finger compared to yanking your guts out with the mega shifter I had. I think I could have bought a new 4 speed shifter and shaft for a little more!

I remember your Duster and always loved that color so I went for it, it is a loud ass color you have to add some black to tone it down..lol. I haven't painted a car in 15+ years so there was a couple runs in it, it's not perfect but instead of trying to pull off a show car I'm going to slap it together and make myself a test and tune car and cruise a little in it.

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the rear suspension I'm thinking ladder bars for now. The weathers getting kinda iffy so I don't know how much more I can get done on it before the snow starts flying again. I spent all my garage fund money so I'm outdoors.

The videos will keep me warm this winter.:ROFLMAO:

Comment

Its funny how that color changes to all different hues of orange in different lights........I said it before and I'll say it again...if u were closer I'd paint it for nothing

---------- Post added at 11:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Oh btw.....runs cans be sanded out and buffed no biggie
                            Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

If you get along with your neighbor then be nice but if not, then all bets are off lol. The more I listen to my neighbors dogs, the more noise I make too but I need to be more noisy when they are sleeping. They wake me up early in the morning a lot.....so sometimes I make a midnight run to the store with my straight piped Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X