No announcement yet.

1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did you get the carpet for the console from? The hard form piece?
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Excellent job....great looking ride ...........
      340 Swinger

Comment

very nice finishing touch. i agree that the carpet looks way better than the vinyl.
        sigpic

My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
          Where did you get the carpet for the console from? The hard form piece?
          Legendary sells the kit. The console itself is fiberglass and the carpet glues to it. The console lid was re skinned and dyed by Just Dashes.
          "What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Comment

It's on to the final step of the restoration of my 1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible...the hubcaps. For the chrome-like portions of the medallion I will be using a product from Spaz Stix called Mirror Chrome. This product is used in the R/C car hobby to emulate chrome on R/C Car Bodies. It is designed to be applied from the back so I think (fingers crossed) it will produce a finish which should be very close to the factory finish.

Spaz Stix - Whats New

This is what I have to start with. All 4 are about in the same condition. The disks are in good shape; all I need to do is re-do the black stripes. The medallions are a mess but free from major cracks.

Step One:

Remove the spring ring holding the medallion in place. Using Easy Off Oven Cleaner (yellow can), remove as much of the original paint as possible. I got 99% of it off on the medallion below and I got lucky. The black paint in the "Three Hundred" grooves did not come off on this one. I won't be needing to get out the magnifying glass and the fine brush.

Step Two:

Paint the Red, White and Blue stripes on the back side of the medallion:

Step 3: Prep the surface using Spaz Stix aerosol plastic surface prep. Allow to dry per the instructions and shoot the entire backside of the medallion with Spaz Stix Ultimate Chrome (aerosol), applying several light coats until covered.

Can't do much about the crazing in the plastic. These are over 45 years old after all. The reflective properties of this paint are very good. I am expecting even greater results when I shoot a top coat of black over the Ultimate Chrome. Overall, I'm very pleased with the way they came out.
            "What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Comment

They look nice! Good job on them.
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Step 4: I shot the back of the medallions with some flat black to give more depth in the reflection. Now it's on to the disks!

Comment

you did an incredible job on those wheel covers. thanks the tip on the rc chrome paint.
                    sigpic

My Garage

Comment

Finished Product

Comment

Absolutely gorgeous! Great work and attention to detail.
                        The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
                        ~Ted Nugent

Comment

This looks terrific. Your stuff looks really good, so I got to ask, how did you paint the letters in the moulding on the trunk lip?
                          Peter
                          '65 Chrysler 300 vert 413/4spd ; '69 Monaco 500 318/727 ; '69 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383HP/727

Comment

Beautiful car! :clapping:

Congratulations. Enjoy it, 'cause you deserve it!

Comment

Originally posted by 300rag View Post
                              This looks terrific. Your stuff looks really good, so I got to ask, how did you paint the letters in the moulding on the trunk lip?
                              Thanks man!

I masked them the best I could then used acetone to remove any over spray. The paint started to peel off so I just removed it all and left it bare.

Comment

absolutely beautiful!

I use to have a 65 300 convertible -- but it is now in Sweden.

My Holy Grail is a 65 300L Convertible 4-speed.
                                Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                                Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                                Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Working...
                                X