No announcement yet.

72 Dart hot street proyect :/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finish with both sides of the spring relocation kit installation pretty straight forward, so far i like what i see, i may convert the rear suspension to a 4-link set up and use the front spring perch as a front lower link perch it should be awesome!

Comment

moving springs

what you did by leaving the outside frame skin to weld to is the smartest thing to do in the whole project. It gives you a reference point to work from AND more metal for strength. Don't wanna bust yer bubble, but summa us old farts (those other guys, not me), been doing it like that for a long time. It IS the smartest way to do it, without doing a complete back half! Mine was NEVER questioned at over 100 different meets tech area. Oh yeah, you mentioned 4 link. Is the car gonna be super lite? If not stick to ladder bar, it'll work better for ya. I'm going ladder bar in my SG car. GOOD LUCK looks good, I'll send ya some 20+ year old pics of other rear suspension mods we did that were outlawed in other classes.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Originally posted by demon1515 View Post
      Ohh my god i found my way back here after a crashed computer problems with the photobucket and many other things!

Here is what happened to my project since then ...................... almost nothing, but here is a little update!

Here are pictures of the new wheels and rear meats! and Daddy's little helper!

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I get to start installing the Mancini leaf spring relocation kit and again run out of shielding gas
      I did leave the outside of the factory frame rail just because in my opinion it give more strength to the frame itself, (just my likeness) i did make some holes on top to plug weld the top part in that side to the new box, and give me all the clearance from tire to leaf spring,
      And just for all of you, another way to install them, as far as i know, it haven't been done like that before

here some pictures,

PS doing it like this will raise the back end up a liilte too.
      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Yea i still can drill the box for a lower mounting point of the spring eye, also i was thinking on the 4 link the way the Toyota do their systems back in the 80's with longer bottom bars and smaller upper ones with a little lay back on the diff bracket so far it works awesome for us back in the day, but for now these /6 leafs will do the job just well with some custom bars, nothing fancy.
        thanks for the comments and i really want to see those pictures you are talking about!

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

I was talking in a 4 link like this one i made for a ol Celica i had here before, by the way a 8 3/4 was used there!

Last edited by demon1515; 03-22-2011, 08:22 PM.

Comment

rear springs

Yea i still can drill the box for a lower mounting point of the spring eye, also i was thinking on the 4 link the way the Toyota do their systems back in the 80's with longer bottom bars and smaller upper ones with a little lay back on the diff bracket so far it works awesome for us back in the day, but for now these /6 leafs will do the job just well with some custom bars, nothing fancy.
          thanks for the comments and i really want to see those pictures you are talking about!
          The most improvement made was on the back end of the rear springs (3400 lb MOPAR SS springs). Modified class racers were asking about it, and NHRA outlawed it for them. Told me hmmmmm, gotta be good. We cut off the last 2' of frame rail to the rear. Dear friends of mines dad (RIP ) worked in a machine shop, took a 3"x3", cut most of the bottom out of it, and halfway up machined a half inch wide slot 18" long. The spring fed up from underneath, you got it. Fitted loosely into place with the spring, welded it in.

The only other non factory part in the rear end was the gears and pinion snubber ( I don't think it EVER did anything). Got out the angle finder, put the jack UNDER THE BUMPER and the angle did not change from full at rest to slicks off the ground more than half a degree, and the car was about 4" lower too. No wonder the modified guys wanted to do it.

I'll try to unstick the pics outta the picture book and scan them to e-mail to you. send me an e-mail address? I have trouble sending into anything but the forums at mopar style.

Comment

OK i am not an eloquent guy, and if i don't have a picture i don't update my post, i consider the pictures very important on any update, that's me sorry for the delay in updating this!

First my helper that want to be in every update so here is Daddy's little helper, a box of oreos and half galon of milk every 3 days, cover her services!

Dana 60 is almost ready just cut 2 3/4 from each side weld the housing ends and put it back together and back on it's 4 on the ground,

So far is looking really mean, i cant wait to see it on the ground with the weight of the engine on.

Comment

Looking great! Thanks for the update.
              Shawn
              72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
              89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Yup I agree it will look real good back on the ground.
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Damn, that looks good!!!!
                  The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

helper

Some times those are the best kinda helpers to have!!!! Your build is looking good! My daughter was a good helper too until she started saying "too loud daddy". after that (around 10 or 11) she wasn't interested on riding with dad on the Harley, if the choice to go get ice cream was daddy's 5th ave. or his 78 Magnum, we took the 5th (literally no pun intended), and her first time seeing me race TAD (around 22 yrs old I think) she was convinced that I had a death wish and refuses to watch me race again, in that class anyway. Gotta luv 'em. Shame hey gotta grow up.

Comment

Project is looking great. Glad to see you have your little one helping.

Comment

Update is on today as i almost got my Dana 60 rear ready,

Poor man spool, it will be replaced eventually.

49 1/2" axle flange to axle flange + 1/4" of each disc brake rotor for a total of 50" just perfect!

Axle tube welded to center chunk

And the helper was shooting at me the whole afternoon with her new found toy.

Comment

LOL!! Getting shot at will keep you moving! Looks like she was having fun.
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Update is on today as i almost got my Dana 60 rear ready,

Poor man spool, it will be replaced eventually.

49 1/2" axle flange to axle flange + 1/4" of each disc brake rotor for a total of 50" just perfect!

Axle tube welded to center chunk

And the helper was shooting at me the whole afternoon with her new found toy.
                            Please promise us all that you won't run your "7018 converted spool" for too long. we all kinda like you and your helper and would love for you to see her get married someday. All you have done and are doing looks phenominal! Just PLEASE go easy on that "spool" you have. Thanks

Comment

Oh, that welded diff is just to move it around till i find a affordable 30 spline 4.10 or lower numerically real spool for it, but don't underestimate my welded diff i have done more than 100 of them and (thanks God) none of them have fail yet, as i preheat, weld, let cool down inside an oven, and trust me i have being in the low 8's with them, not that i recommend it, (and i know is super dangerous) but we all have been a little daredevils once before, and trust me i wont risk my Princes even with a real spool!

Comment

Finally on its 4 on the floor, now its time for engine + trany installation, so stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                                X