Building A Drag Pak Challenger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building A Drag Pak Challenger

This the day we picked it up in Lavonia Mi. This was Monday, November 23rd... One year and one month from the time we faxed our application into Mopar for the car!!!!
    Mack Reeves
    FS/C 2377
    2009 DragPak U 426-004

Finally Home in Florida

After picking up the car Marty Nichols and I headed home... We left Lavonia app 8:30 am... I dropped Marty off at his house and got home at 2:45am on Tuesday morning.. We only stopped for fuel. We drove straight thru...
    Mack Reeves
    FS/C 2377
    2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

The Way It Came

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Home 7

Last edited by MoparMack; 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM.
      Mack Reeves
      FS/C 2377
      2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Core Tranny and Rear Carrier

Rear End Carrier

Trannycore

Mack Reeves
        FS/C 2377
        2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Trying to find the pictures

I'm trying something else...

---------- Post added at 07:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 AM ----------

Last edited by MoparMack; 05-09-2010, 08:26 AM.
          Mack Reeves
          FS/C 2377
          2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Keep Trying

Mack Reeves
            FS/C 2377
            2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Starting Over

The Wa

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

The core tranny is intended to be replaced with a racing one..

The rear carrier is out of a Jeep and is just for getting the car around. This will be replaced by a Dana or 8 3/4 solid axel unit....

---------- Post added at 01:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13 PM ----------

The next several posts are about the parts bought for this build. First of all I decided on a Dana 60. With all the light weight axels, CM tubes, alumn spool and lightned ring gear and pinion the Dana is only slightly heavier than an 8 3/4... So the longetivity of the Dana made that decision for me....

Wheels are from Billet and tires from Hoosier.... Stock rules say only a 9" tire...

Custom made headers... Several ideas on this.... Many have put what we think are too large a header on a stock head.. Rules again say nothing can be done to the heads.. So you are running a stock head and need backpressure to build torque.. The consicense of my engine builder and a long time Mopar racer and good friend is to step the headers... We start with a 2" tube and then step to a 2 1/8" tube and then into a 3 1/2" collector...

Also we are going with the FAST system to control our EFI... Also using their ignition system and Data Logger and Dash...

Race tranny is a 904 custom built by FTI and also using their converter. Using TurboAction auto shift valve body and controler...
              Mack Reeves
              FS/C 2377
              2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Looks great, how is it working out?
                75_OLOA_Duster
                75 Duster,72 F100 Custom,79 Camaro,01 Civic, 11 Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by onelapduster View Post
                  Looks great, how is it working out?

Stay tuned.... I'm just getting the hang of posting here so be patient and we will get caught up with the build sooner or later... But to answer your question it is going well but not as fast as I would like.. Its now at paint and will have some photos of that later in the build.. Thanks for looking............ Mack

---------- Post added at 02:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Car is being built by Tim Takash at Takash Race Craft in Winter Park Florida... Tim s well known in Florida as being one of the best at what he does.... Quality work and likes to think outside the box and sometimes that is exactly what you need.......

On the spit... Before removing the engine and core tranny

Mack Reeves
                  FS/C 2377
                  2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Looking good. The picture with the rear window in the trunk threw me off for a minute.

Comment

Building the Chassis

Tim begins by building a jig to start the chassis on... Per the stock rules the Challenger Drag Pak shock and springs must attach to the car at the stock locations... Tim builds this jig and starts the sub frome rails going forward...

The 2x3 steel frame rails will tie the whole roll cage to the stock Challenger.. Thus the rear end is "pushing" against the whole body at once and at the same rate....

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

The Main hoop attached to the 2x3 frame rails...... Also notice all the seam sealer... They were supposed to have deleated that but they all have it... Between the sealer and the sound deading pads I removed almost 30 lbs from the car!!!!!! That is a lot of weight......

Mack Reeves
                      FS/C 2377
                      2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Looks nice so far. Should be fun when its all done!
                        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

your car is looking good. thanks for all the pictures.
                          sigpic

My Garage

Comment

Cage Still Getting Bars Added

Cage is done.....

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

Test Fit the Dash

Mack Reeves
                            FS/C 2377
                            2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Looks nice!
                              Shawn
                              72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
                              89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Working...
                              X