No announcement yet.

The Runner build.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I say the 833 is not as weak as some may think. I also say put it in and if it fells good give it all you got!!!

Comment

• I been talking with Jamie Passon of Passon Performance, thats where I got the parts from to rebuild the trans. The problem is I rebuilt it to handle alot less horsepower because that was my first plan with the engine. Fast foward 421 days later and now its makes more power then I figured on. And I am very happy with that! A few have said they have beaten the crap out of the 833s and had no trouble, hell i whaled the piss out of mine ,but that was with a mild 383. Jamie says a 18 spline would more then likey break with the power I am going to throw at it. Spinning around on the highway with street tires and hooking hard at the track are two different things. So far the best I can come up with is $2495, from Passon for a built 833 that no one has broke yet,,but nothing is bullit proof as we all know. I have between the clutch,shifter,bell housing and parts for my current trans about $2300, into it. I should just run it I think,,, and lick my wounds if it breaks. But damn that thought makes me sick. The only parts that are transferable are the shifter and the bell housing. I did drill the 22 holes in the glass bumpers and have a good start on them, also started on installing the lowering kit, so some stuff did get done. LOL!
      Last edited by hemi67s; 02-03-2012, 06:36 PM.
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

• Run it till it breaks, then spend the $2500 on the one that wont break.
        Shawn
        72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
        89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

• Hey Steve what seats you got in there, if I might ask?:angel::angel:

Comment

• Buy the new tranny - do it right the first time so you won't have to worry about when it will break. Then I'll take that POS 833 you've got off your hands for, say, $100? lol
            The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
            ~Ted Nugent

Comment

• Originally posted by hemibee68 View Post
              Hey Steve what seats you got in there, if I might ask?:angel::angel:
              The stock buckets.

Comment

• The built tranny will be better for racing if you can do it. I had good like with the 23 spline and the 18. Those factory hemis put out a lot of horse power and they did well with the 833 18 spline units. Only one I blew was actually the drive shaft and broke a piece of the tail shaft. That was the drivers fault for launching at 7,000 rpm with big slicks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old_Demon View Post
                  Buy the new tranny - do it right the first time so you won't have to worry about when it will break. Then I'll take that POS 833 you've got off your hands for, say, $100? lol
                  I cant take $100 from you,,maybe $10 bucks,,after all the 2k plus in it just wont add up.:ROFLMAO: I am sure Cranky has the money if you need a loan!

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

Thats what i dont get, the 18 is better then the 23 spline? Look at any new trans, 30 spline, same with axles, more slpine,better contact area= a much stronger and better part.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 PM ----------
                  Last edited by hemi67s; 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM.

Comment

• I wish I had the money! Finally had a good month for January which hasn't been this good since 07! But, we bought a travel trailer. Nothing new or fancy but it's in pretty dang good shape and the previous owners took good care of it. If it quits raining, I'll post some pics of it soon. On the 833's, the ones we were using lasted for months but we were launching at 6k with 14x32 slicks and running 10.70's. They were bone stock with nothing special done to them. I've heard of folks running the Jerico on the street without any problems except for noise from the straight cut gears....straight cut gears are always noisy just like the reverse gears are.

Comment

• I know that i do not plan on leaving at 6 or 7k like alot of guys do. The car will be limited to 11.50 because it has no cage, so to leave that hard wont gain me anything. Once the car is dailed in, and the track is short on staff, then i want to air it out on motor, then on spray just to see how fast it can go. From what i have heard 3rd is a weak spot in the 833s? So most of you guys say put in the trans i have now and go for it? I really only plan on maybe 4 or 5 races a year with the Runner.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

What we did to the trans is get a rebuild kit, mid 3-4 hub, set of synchro rings, mid strut keys, and the counter shaft.

Comment

• Use it. I think maybe 3rd isn't so good is because so many can't shift into 3rd with an H pattern shifter. If you're good, it may never be a problem but using a Vertigate will take care of that but they are kind of a hassle on the street. When we broke a trans, it was usually on the launch lol

Comment

• I gots one such Vertigate!!

Comment

• I got the lowering kit installed i had bought from Old Demon this morning, the only problem was Old Demon was not here to help. LOL! I took a before and after pic, if you look at the lettering on the tire it gives you a good idea on how much it came down.

Before

After

Comment

• just a thinkin

I know, me thinkin is dangerous most times, but I think ya could go another inch or 2 down, I could make the blocks and bring them up if ya think. I'm ready to come up on a surprise visit to "HELP" you get that motor lit up anyway, ALL THOSE IN FAVOR? Call me if ya get a chance Steve.

PS. I got an old 225 slant motor today fer nuttin, maybe I'll get to FINALLY see how well I can make one perform! With the members we have on here, I'm sure with thier guidance, I could make it SCREAM!
                              Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                              "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                              I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                                Use it. I think maybe 3rd isn't so good is because so many can't shift into 3rd with an H pattern shifter. If you're good, it may never be a problem but using a Vertigate will take care of that but they are kind of a hassle on the street. When we broke a trans, it was usually on the launch lol
                                Ya your right Cranky.... I've missed 3rd a few times......:ROFLMAO:

---------- Post added at 11:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

I like how it sits hemi.... also you're doing a great job !! been interesting to follow the build
                                340 Swinger

Comment

Working...
                                X