Building the 1955 Belvedere...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trannyman
    started a topic Building the 1955 Belvedere...

Building the 1955 Belvedere...

Since Dave is posting all of his....

There used to be a member here named RadMan who had a flat black 55 Belvedere that I fell in love with the looks. I searched and searched for one and finally got this one out of Shelby South Dakota, (?North Dakota? Wherever..) It came looking like this..

That's a picture of it on the car trailer in Shelby before I bought it. It came on a semi which lost my car in transit. Turns out the guy who had it on his truck contracted pneumonia and was in a hospital in San Antonio.
    It was a pretty clean old car,

Had a trunk full of "extra parts"

Had a V-8 engine in it that hadn't run since the 70's. Still had a 71 inspection sticker on it.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

When It finally arrived it looked like this....

A lot worse than it did in the pictures.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

The roof was pretty dented, the car smelled horrible. The interior wasn't in to bad of shape. The tires would not hold air.....you get the idea. We pushed it into the shop and got the old motor running, It shot oil all over the place so we could never run it more than a couple of seconds. We proceeded to taking it apart.

Without reliving MY Nightmare of dealing with the initial racing plans for NMC I finally decided to just make a driver out of it. After tinkering with some minor things I finally pulled the motor and transmission and sent it up to Texas Thunder Racing for a rack and pinion front end with Power steering and front disc brakes. I don't know what the heck happened but somewhere along the way I wound up with the stock front suspension but got disc brakes on it. Mark up at Texas thunder put in a 440 out of a Motor Home that he found and custom made me some headers. It came out really nice, believe it or not the motor ran.

• Trannyman
    replied
    Finally got the 493 Engine in.. It runs, believe it or not. I think I have had that thing for 8 years, or dang close. Got some more items to do to it before I can hit the streets and then the track....

Leave a comment:

• speeddemon
    replied
    All table saw, chop saw and sanding are outside jobs. The driveway is full of sawdust when I woodwork and the back yard is full of shavings when I use the planer. I need a big ass shop! Even sanding on the Barracuda is turning into an outside job.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Originally posted by speeddemon View Post
    I tried my hand at cabinet making last year. A good friend asked me if I would make them a kitchen island, oak face ond the other three sides covered in old tin. I tried and did a nice job, I point out every flaw in it and they have to hunt for them. We are our own worst critics. It looks great!
    I did a little bit of woodworking over the years. Hell, took advanced wood shop in school and built houses too but quickly found that wood working in the same shop as working on cars don't mix too well. My last project was a 7' tall x 4' wide book case and sold off the majority of my wood working tools. I kept my basic hand tools and a table saw along with a compound miter box and a router on only do small stuff anymore...things I can build out under my back carport and keep the garage doors down while I'm doing that.

Leave a comment:

• speeddemon
    replied
    I tried my hand at cabinet making last year. A good friend asked me if I would make them a kitchen island, oak face ond the other three sides covered in old tin. I tried and did a nice job, I point out every flaw in it and they have to hunt for them. We are our own worst critics. It looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Bblock
    replied
    When you do something like that you know exactly where every little blemish is. Others wouldn't pick it out. It's a cool car and it will draw a lot of attention.

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    No.. I got to find some one who will align it or at least understands how to align it.

oh and thanks for the comments. I wish it looked as good in person as it does in the photos....

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Do you know how much caster is dialed into the front end?

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't upgrade the column.....and yeah, you have to prep the chrome for paint to stick. The tape will work and if you get good quality, it'll stay on for a good while. And the car looks great!
    I don't know if that thing was painted from the factory, but it was painted when I got it. I scuffed it up, primed it and all... Who knows?
    The column is the old style that hooks directly to the steering box, I would have to change it all to put another column in there. I might do that some day, but for now I just got to get it going. It drives really nice up to about 90mph where it starts wandering a little...

Leave a comment:

• Bblock
    replied
    Well it looks great. Hard work has paid off. It won't be long and you can start to enjoy it and forget about all the pain getting it done.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    I'm surprised you didn't upgrade the column.....and yeah, you have to prep the chrome for paint to stick. The tape will work and if you get good quality, it'll stay on for a good while. And the car looks great!
    Last edited by Cranky; 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hemisatellite
    replied
    I wish I had a nice Driveway like yours. Maybe the entrance ramp up to my new shop/garage will look that nice. PS the car is looking great too.

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Starting to look like a car again.......

Well it's starting to look like a car again. What a pain in the ass. I polished all the front trim to day and got it assembled. Wasted all morning repainting the front grill thing.. only to have part of the paint peel off. I don't know if it was painted from the factory or that was later on, but paint just doesn't stick very well to chrome. I think I am going to go down and get some black pinstripe tape and try it.

pictures.............

here's that pesky little piece I am talking about........ you can see the paint already coming off, right there in the middle....p.o.s...

Also got the dash insert painted and installed. Went with the Desoto Green... I like it. Need to pull the steering wheel and column and paint those. I got a lot of little stuff leftover to paint.. including the glove box door.

Last edited by Trannyman; 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• hemi67s
    replied
    Very nice, I like it!

Leave a comment:

• speeddemon
    replied
    Looks great!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X