No announcement yet.

Building the 1955 Belvedere...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, Here it is in it's present state......

I still got a ton of work to do., But I feel that if I can get the outside together, I can get a little breather. The trim is killing me. A lot of the clips broke when I took them off. Nobody makes them. I had to make some myself. After searching thru dozens of pages on ebay, I think I found some push in type clips that I can modify and make work for the dozen or so blind holes.

I ahev painted the dash, and finally decided on the color of the dash insert and a color scheme for the interior.

I will probably never paint another car. It just doesn't make financial sense (or cents). We are doing the patch panels on my kids Studebaker truck, but the paint I am farming out. Even if I spend 3k on a paint job, for the amount of time it takes and the costs of the materials, I can go mow yards and come out ahead.
    His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

• Looking good! Nice work.
      The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
      ~Ted Nugent

Comment

• Lookin good! To me, the prep work is the pita....

Comment

• Looks great. Something to be proud of and worth all the hard work. And expense

Comment

• Looks great!
            Shawn
            72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
            89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

• Very nice, I like it!
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

• Starting to look like a car again.......

Well it's starting to look like a car again. What a pain in the ass. I polished all the front trim to day and got it assembled. Wasted all morning repainting the front grill thing.. only to have part of the paint peel off. I don't know if it was painted from the factory or that was later on, but paint just doesn't stick very well to chrome. I think I am going to go down and get some black pinstripe tape and try it.

pictures.............

here's that pesky little piece I am talking about........ you can see the paint already coming off, right there in the middle....p.o.s...

Also got the dash insert painted and installed. Went with the Desoto Green... I like it. Need to pull the steering wheel and column and paint those. I got a lot of little stuff leftover to paint.. including the glove box door.

Last edited by Trannyman; 02-11-2013, 12:26 AM.
                His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

• I wish I had a nice Driveway like yours. Maybe the entrance ramp up to my new shop/garage will look that nice. PS the car is looking great too.
                  Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                  "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                  I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

• I'm surprised you didn't upgrade the column.....and yeah, you have to prep the chrome for paint to stick. The tape will work and if you get good quality, it'll stay on for a good while. And the car looks great!
                    Last edited by Cranky; 02-11-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

• Well it looks great. Hard work has paid off. It won't be long and you can start to enjoy it and forget about all the pain getting it done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                        I'm surprised you didn't upgrade the column.....and yeah, you have to prep the chrome for paint to stick. The tape will work and if you get good quality, it'll stay on for a good while. And the car looks great!
                        I don't know if that thing was painted from the factory, but it was painted when I got it. I scuffed it up, primed it and all... Who knows?
                        The column is the old style that hooks directly to the steering box, I would have to change it all to put another column in there. I might do that some day, but for now I just got to get it going. It drives really nice up to about 90mph where it starts wandering a little...
                        2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

• Do you know how much caster is dialed into the front end?

Comment

• No.. I got to find some one who will align it or at least understands how to align it.

oh and thanks for the comments. I wish it looked as good in person as it does in the photos....
                            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

• When you do something like that you know exactly where every little blemish is. Others wouldn't pick it out. It's a cool car and it will draw a lot of attention.

Comment

• I tried my hand at cabinet making last year. A good friend asked me if I would make them a kitchen island, oak face ond the other three sides covered in old tin. I tried and did a nice job, I point out every flaw in it and they have to hunt for them. We are our own worst critics. It looks great!
                                Shawn
                                72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
                                89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Working...
                                X