X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trannyman
    replied
    That's wasn't on the CarFax

I knocked some paint off the rear 1/4. Seen some old bondo, Guess it had been sideswiped at one time.
    On Damon's suggestion I Ground it all off...

That's how deep the bondo is...........

Leave a comment:

• GTSDave
    replied
    I got my Quincy from Northern Tool as well. Had it for about 3 years now and love it. I had tried a couple of different regulators so far, and none hold up to the higher pressure. Like you I ended up dialing it back. It is the first compresser I have had that cycles off when I am painting with an HVLP gun. All the others seemed to need to run constantly.

AJ Foyt or Davis Brothers in Rosenberg should both have quality polly putty on the shelf.

-Dave

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Thanks for the compliments.
    I got that Quincey from Northern Tool, It's a two stage 175psi one but for now I dialed it back to run up to 140. I have been looking for a regulator also. I bought a Northern Tool regulator but it is a Piece of crap so I am returning it.

That putty I got just for the scratches in the Metal Glaze, I will check tomorrow and get something different. I haven't used much of it so it should be easy to get it out. I don't need problems..

Leave a comment:

• snook
    replied
    neat project, almost there.

Leave a comment:

• Stumper
    replied
    Looking good! That will be far cooler than any old 55' Chebby on the road.

Leave a comment:

• GTSDave
    replied
    Doug,

Love that Quincy compressor. I had a Northern Tool Ingersoll Rand and beat the crap out of it running DA's. Got to where it was passing a lot of oil, so I brought it out to the farm where the tractors don't care about oil in the lines LOL. Then I bought my Quincy. It is a 5hp two stage. Been looking for a decent regulator for mine. That 175PSI is a killer on air tools, and air hoses LOL. I picked up some high flow fittings that are the same basic size as standard fittings, but the center hole is bored out a good bit bigger. Some of my old fittings still quick couple with the new ones, but I have changed almost all of them over to the high flow stuff. They really made my HVLP and other air tools work better.

From the last couple of pictures of the door it almost looks like you are using the old red glazing putty. I had a lot of trouble with that stuff. Now days I use a two part polyester putty that dries very fast and blocks out like a dream.

There are a lot of different kinds out there but I have been using Half Time by USC. Any of your body shop supply houses have a quality line they sell. Just tell them you want a polyester filler putty. They are easy to identify because they use the same blue cream hardener as your polyester body fillers. It is easy to mix in small quantities because it comes in a large squeeze tube. Kind of reminds me of a very smooth thin creamy version of body filler. It mixes with no air bubbles and blocks out like a dream. If you haven't switched over to polyester putty and body fillers you need to. You will get years of your life back in block sanding time alone LOL!

Cant wait to see how yours comes out. I have been contemplating a change with the 51 once the Cuda is all red. One of the combo's was not so much flat black, but a semi-gloss with the same candy red I have on my wheels maybe with a two tone or scallops.

-Dave

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Well, It's coming along. I got the 1/4 and rocker mostly finished.

It's got a little rough spot along the edge I need to work on.

Also the inner lip isn't perfect, I haven't decided to work on it some more or just leave it.

You can't really tell when it's on the ground and the tire is on. I am probably going to work on it some more...

I got the passenger door looking pretty good.

It started off this bad...

I still need to fix the front fender, probably going to have to pull it off the hammer the dent out.

Also the passenger rear 1/4 has a some filler in it that is turning to powder. I don't know if I need to strip it all out or just take it down some.

I think sometime during it's life the Belvedere had a little side swipe on the passenger side. The door had been replaced and the 1/4 has been repaired...

I wish that car could talk.
    Last edited by Trannyman; 08-26-2012, 11:42 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Old_Demon
    replied
    If you're going black, especially shiny black, your bodywork needs to be perfect!

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Fugly, I was thinking of going flat black like this car....

Or Maybe Black with a white top....

Leave a comment:

• Fugly
    replied
    80 or 120 for stripping....

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Knocking a bunch of crap off the car. Also I am really bad at putting the Metal Glaze on evenly, I always get a big lump, Just got tired of sanding it with the long board.

I am getting a little OCD working on this thing. I got 320 paper on it.

Leave a comment:

• Fugly
    replied
    What are you doing with the da?

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Man that DA sander is bad ass. I got to get a regulator, that thing sings like crazy at 150 psi. lol

Leave a comment:

• Trannyman
    replied
    Man.......sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand,sand, sand, sand, sand.......

Holy Chit my arms are tired. I went and bought an air compressor over the weekend and a D.A. sander. I have been using a 17" long board for all of this. I am tired of sanding. Got to get it all hooked up......

Bought this one from Northern Tool.

It has 175 PSI and 15.4 CFM at 100....

Leave a comment:

• Unfettered
    replied
    Nice to see you back at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X