Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the 1955 Belvedere...

Since Dave is posting all of his....

There used to be a member here named RadMan who had a flat black 55 Belvedere that I fell in love with the looks. I searched and searched for one and finally got this one out of Shelby South Dakota, (?North Dakota? Wherever..) It came looking like this..

That's a picture of it on the car trailer in Shelby before I bought it. It came on a semi which lost my car in transit. Turns out the guy who had it on his truck contracted pneumonia and was in a hospital in San Antonio.
    It was a pretty clean old car,

Had a trunk full of "extra parts"

Had a V-8 engine in it that hadn't run since the 70's. Still had a 71 inspection sticker on it.

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

When It finally arrived it looked like this....

A lot worse than it did in the pictures.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

The roof was pretty dented, the car smelled horrible. The interior wasn't in to bad of shape. The tires would not hold air.....you get the idea. We pushed it into the shop and got the old motor running, It shot oil all over the place so we could never run it more than a couple of seconds. We proceeded to taking it apart.

Without reliving MY Nightmare of dealing with the initial racing plans for NMC I finally decided to just make a driver out of it. After tinkering with some minor things I finally pulled the motor and transmission and sent it up to Texas Thunder Racing for a rack and pinion front end with Power steering and front disc brakes. I don't know what the heck happened but somewhere along the way I wound up with the stock front suspension but got disc brakes on it. Mark up at Texas thunder put in a 440 out of a Motor Home that he found and custom made me some headers. It came out really nice, believe it or not the motor ran.
    His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

---------- Post added at 10:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Here's the 440 Mark put in...

That's Mark on the left.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Picture of the disc brakes;

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

After I got it back, we stripped the body from the frame, power washed, degreased with oven cleaner, sand blasted, stripped cleaned some more and then finally painted the frame, underside, engine, transmission and everything else.

His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

We also took the body and washed all the primer off with turpentine.

Flash forward about 4 years and I have decided to take it back apart and put the 500 Inch motor that I bought from Dave that Damon built when they had DiamondBack Engines together,

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I got the motor test fitted but pulled it back out and installed the original 440 till I get some more money for parts....

---------- Post added at 10:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Over the last couple of days, I got the diveshaft loop installed, rebuilt the ford 9" that I stuck in it and put in a 4.10 Detroit Locker, with Mosier axles, got the line lock installed, roll cage installed. Need to put the CalTracs on it next week as it has SEVERE wheel hop.

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 PM ----------

Painted the roll cage green today:

2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

That's a neat project.

Comment

Very nice...Keep us posted on your work.
          "You're only as old as the women you feel."
          -Groucho Marx
          Moparless for now

Comment

Is/was that car heater delete?

I like the 55/56 Plymouths. I had a 56 before I had my license. Field car. Loved it, flathead 6/3 tree speed.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Car's looking pretty good there.

C.
              My Karma ran over your dogma.- Unknown

Owner of post #5500,8000,33000,& the last insignificant post AND page #1000 (Thanks Khaos,UN,rad,72SC,Bblock,strzbites,6DODGE7,SRV2623 ,Trannyman,and 83ramstepside )

Comment

Lot of work, should be killer when its done!
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Magnumguy View Post
                  Is/was that car heater delete?

I like the 55/56 Plymouths. I had a 56 before I had my license. Field car. Loved it, flathead 6/3 tree speed.
                  It's a heater delete car now, but originally had a heater. It's is very rarely cold here so I can get away with it.
                  2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Nice work....

Comment

Selby, South Dakota. I was there for two weeks not long ago. Lots of neat cars in that area. 100 miles of reservation. Looks like a great project!
                      Shawn
                      72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
                      89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
                        We also took the body and washed all the primer off with turpentine.

Flash forward about 4 years and I have decided to take it back apart and put the 500 Inch motor that I bought from Dave that Damon built when they had DiamondBack Engines together,

What's with the star on the door? Old cop car?
                        70' Road Runner
                        383 / 727 / 4.10

Comment

Nice progress. What are your intentions for this car? Street...race..combination?

1960 Plymouth Home Page
                          2010 Charger R/T

Comment

Originally posted by Stew View Post
                            What's with the star on the door? Old cop car?
                            My kid painted the star on the door. He has now penciled in a transformer logo on the car. I figure what the heck he might as well have a little fun also.

My plans are to make it a race car that I can drive on the street. Sounds like one of my really good plans . I race the Chevelle but it's really just not me... if that makes any sense.

Right now I am at a stopping point. I put the caltracs on it and noticed that my rear springs are collapsed. I ordered a new set which according to the spring shop will take 2-3 weeks to get to me. I ordered exact replacements so hopefully the spring eyes are the right size for the caltrac bushings.

I also need to build a transmission that will hold up to the engine. That is turning out to be expensive.

I wanted to race the Texas Thaw this weekend with the stock motor, but with the springs collapsed the dang car was going all over the road on hard acceleration.

Another set back....

But on the forward movement front. I got the hood and roof all sanded and filled to my and my buddies best bodyshop capabilities.
                            2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

YeeeHaw. The springs finally came in. I put them on the car today after work, took a little test drive and man does it hook. Before the Caltracks all my car would do is spin. When I put the 4.10 gears in it, all it would do is spin and wheel hop, wheel hop bad. When I put the Caltracs with the old springs the wheel hop was gone but I couldn't really adjust the Caltracs because the springs were so collapsed. Now with the new springs you can floor it from a stand still and it won't even spin.

I need to redo the adjustments on the car because now with it hooking it bogs a little off the line.

The 4.10 gear is also way to much for the stock motor. I betcha it wouldn't even make it through the 1/4 mile. 4.10- 26" tall tire 5,000 rpm valve float...=maybe 90mph...

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Can;t wait to get the new motor in.... that thing is going to fly.
                              2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X