Building the 81 Imperial

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building the 81 Imperial

My brother bought this 81 Imperial for his wife in 1985, and she wanted it painted white -- and he does as he's told lol

The 318 EFI in the car gave them nothing but problems, leaving her stranded often. In 1987, the car had 20,000 miles on it and we traded straight up for a 67 Newport Convertible I'd had since the 70s.

the 67 Newport Vert I traded for the Imperial. My daughter is now 28,. I wish I still had the 67 SS fastback too!

I replaced the air cleaner mounted computer and drove the car until the big Ice Storm/freeze we had here in Houston in January 1990 -- when I had no oil pressure on the car when starting it one cold morning. The car had 24,000 miles. I was flat broke from being unemployed for three months and hocking everything to start my company NDR (which I later sold in 1998). I parked the car in my barn until 2004, when I moved to Stately Schultz Manor -- and moved the car to an airplane hanger.

In 2000, I'd been semi-retired for a year and half and decided I wanted to restify this car as a street/strip car - and bought it to my shop. Below are the photos of the car when I started tearing it apart.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

The drivetrain, everything under the hood, bumpers, gas tank, exhaust, head lights, tail lights, and trim was stripped off the car -- and it was sent to the painter.

more to follow

Comment

Keep them coming ! Gives inspiration .
      All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

Parts ordered:

400hp 360 motor - pump gas

Le Carrera Steering Wheel

Chrome rechromed

17" Wheels

\

Spitfire Ty-Y headers

CRT Street Strip Trans and PTC Convertor

Back from paint

Replaced 8.25" rear with 8.75 with Suregrip 741 from 68 Charger, and 3.55:1 gears. New Gas Tank and sending unit.

Comment

Under the hood

March Serpentine polished Billet Pullies and polished Sandin AC.

Comment

Dual Exhaust (Flowmasters, X-pipe, and high flow cats), wheels, finish interior

Comment

Finished

Sadly I never drive the car and should sell it.

Comment

Te,,,,,,ll ya what . Let me drive it for ya . I'll take real good care of it , and send ya pics monthly on it well being . What'd ya say to that ?:ROFLMAO:
                All throttle , no bottle .

Comment

thats one sharp ride

Comment

This ones done whats next?
                    2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

the car looks great and the crate engine sets it apart from any other. i'd fill up the tank and take a road trip. then let the smiles and memory of days gone by flow.
                      sigpic

My Garage

Comment

Cool

I'm about to do the same thing to my 83 Imperial but I'm going with a full MPFI Magnum / 518 (actually 46RH) swap from a 94 Dodge 1 ton van. I'd like to have it done this summer. Did you keep the stock 727 and 8 1/4?

Yours looks great,

~Q

Comment

That is a great car and a great job done. A truly originally styled car.

Have only recently discovered this model when doing some research on Mopars of this era. From what I have read they had some interesting editions of this car such as the FS Blue but it seems that the EFI system gave alot of problems. You would think after the problems they had with the Electro-Jector engines in DeSotos over twenty years earlier that they would have been able to build reliable EFI.

I was wondering if this model had a 360cid as an option and if anyone has successfully run a factory EFI system in their Imperial?

Comment

Originally posted by QMopar View Post
                            I'm about to do the same thing to my 83 Imperial but I'm going with a full MPFI Magnum / 518 (actually 46RH) swap from a 94 Dodge 1 ton van. I'd like to have it done this summer. Did you keep the stock 727 and 8 1/4?

Yours looks great,

~Q
                            I could have sworn the transmission was a 904 and no I didn't keep it. I did keep the 8 1/4" rearend that I rebuilt and painted before finding the 8 3/4.

Comment

Originally posted by gn300 View Post
                              This ones done whats next?
                              46 Olds got painted yesterday

Color is six coats of Challenger metallic black, three coats of Mary Kay Pink, and three coats of Cadillac Metallic Peal Red.

First of many coats of clear

Door pontoons and dash today, bumpers on Friday, wet sanding over the weekend, reassembly Monday. These photos were taken by an iPhone -- the car really looks great.

Comment

Working...
                              X