Tube Chassis Barracuda's Rebuild

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube Chassis Barracuda's Rebuild

I bought this car in 2007. I was a high 8-second car that ran in a "True Street" class. That basically means that the car has light, wipers, and other items required to pass a Liberal State inspection -- and can make a 40 mile trip on pump gas -- then go to the track and race.

<object width="425" height="349">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iYQs1WCA4P0?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></object>
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Clay Kassuth sold the car to someone local to St. Louis -- and he had Jeffers build the tube chassis. It raced for years in the St. Louis area with a 440ci motor that very mild for the street -- yet a monster on NOS. The rear end is a narrowed Dana, the tires 17" MT Sportsman and the transmission a race prepped transbrake 727.

Comment

The teardown began in March 2007.

Comment

Mounted to the spit

Finished disassembling and cleaned

Comment

Fiberglass fixed, body imperfections smoothed out

Dash and carpet pulled, body prepped and masked

Comment

Show Car Paint job of 6 coats Texas Thunder Red and 3 coats of clear -- then wet sand and power buff. The painter only does show car paint jobs and refused to give the standard 5'-10' race car paint job.

Comment

That catches the car up to last night. Today the painter paints the front clip, doors, and deck lid; and Dallas reinstalls the repainted Dana, 4-link, and R&P steering. Tomorrow plans are to color sand the body panels and Dallas to reinstall the wiring. Damon freshend up the already freshened up motor, and its ready to go back in the car -- sands the purple paint.

The car is for sale -- and can be built in a couple of different ways. It can built as a Street class racer with the 440, or it can get any of three different builds of fresh builds pump gas 408 small block (the Mopar Muscle Comp B1BA head motor, the motor that was in the Aspen for three passes and rebuilt because of an oiling problem, or an Edelbrock Magnum head motor), or as a show quality roller for the racer to finish. With or with out 3" mufflers, and choice of slicks or DOT Sportsmans. Serious inquiries can contact me with what they're looking for and I'll give a price. No fishing expeditions by those just nosy please.

Comment

Wow, you guys have put alot of work into it, and it shows. Very nice!
                "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

I know he didn't get the win, but that video is and awesome run.
                  http://www.fquick.com/dietz_diggler
                  2 Corinthians 7:10 ---> Romans 10:9

Comment

When you run out of things to paint, I got a couple of cars I could use that guy on. Even got a pro paint booth he could probably use..
                    His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

We've got him booked solid for at least 6 months

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hippie View Post
                        We've got him booked solid for at least 6 months
                        I got plenty of time.....
                        His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                        2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

I don't have plenty of time. I need to finish this car. Sick of sitting on the sidelines.

I had a couple of guys from craigslist ad out today to blast the Cuda with ground up corn cob. Also use some sugar sand for the rusty areas. Those several coats of old laquer gave them hell! On a single coat it would work very well. Does not get the panels hot at all. But it took him a good hour to take down the roof one layer at a time. He did the inside of the doors and door jams in about half an hour with the sand. Overall I am happy as it saved me a good week of sanding to get the old paint off. Hell chemical stripper only bubbled it slightly so this was the best alternative for me.

I have the whole week off next week to work on it, so rain is guaranteed.

-Dave
                          Please Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way!

Comment

My body guy used razor blades to take off about 5 coats of paint on my 46 Olds. I never seen anything like it.

Comment

Not stealing your thread, but I have seen several guys use razor blades to strip paint. And I got two cars that are longggg term projects, I might have them running in six months.
                              2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X