No announcement yet.

17 years in waiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And right on using chain instead of straps if you're going to use a front end loader to plug in an engine! Wow....glad no one got hurt. I use chains with a load leveler but did it for years without so I got it down pat but the leveler makes it easier for sure. I'm still working on the mess in my shop but I'm making progress.....it's great that you're saving that car!

Comment

Just a short note as an update. I have found another donor car with good frame rails and floor pans. The car is beat to crap so all the exterior sheet metal is very poor. The trunk pan is rusted out and so is the rear window and the package tray is cut nearly in half, tonight I find that the rear shock crossmember is damaged. However, I do not have to complelely take the body apart to put new frame rails on. It will take about half the work to rebuild the car with this body. :clapping:

Comment

Did you find the donor car close to home? i guess that you wont run out of work this winter!
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

So by your explanation is there even anything useful on donor car
          Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

Originally posted by ronnysplymouth View Post
            So by your explanation is there even anything useful on donor car
            Oh yeah, the donor car is very usable, it is a 68 so the damaged fenders, rear quarters needed to come off anyhow, the tail panel will come off and get the 69 panel installed with the new quarters. The roof is has no dents so it is good, the cowl is good and so are the door posts. The trunk pan is rusted because the rear window was so rusted out. I'll post pictures when I get them.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:57 PM ----------

Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
            Did you find the donor car close to home?
            Went to Billings Montanna to get the car.

Comment

Excuse me for asking but are you re-bodying a car here or what exactly cuz I'm confused

Comment

Originally posted by ronnysplymouth View Post
                Excuse me for asking but are you re-bodying a car here or what exactly cuz I'm confused
                Legitimate question, simple answer is yes. On the original I will have to replace the frame rails front to include inner fenders and rear rails, radiator support, (no VIN on the one thats there), floor pans except for the panel under the back seat. trunk extensions, package tray, lower rear deck filler panel, inner and outer rear wheel wells, tail light panel, both rear quarters to include the trunk lips (where the vin number is stamped). The doors are good and the front fenders are good (must have been replaced at the repaint) I also have to repair some rust on the top (probably should put a new skin on). As listed there is very little left of the original body.
                Using the body I have I need to replace the trunk pan and trunk extensions, tail light panel, radiator support, both rear quarters, shock crossmember, rear deck filler panel. A much easier rebuild and not any different than rebuilding the original with parts from this one.

Comment

Originally posted by hemibee68 View Post
                  Legitimate question, simple answer is yes. On the original I will have to replace the frame rails front to include inner fenders and rear rails, radiator support, (no VIN on the one thats there), floor pans except for the panel under the back seat. trunk extensions, package tray, lower rear deck filler panel, inner and outer rear wheel wells, tail light panel, both rear quarters to include the trunk lips (where the vin number is stamped). The doors are good and the front fenders are good (must have been replaced at the repaint) I also have to repair some rust on the top (probably should put a new skin on). As listed there is very little left of the original body.
                  Using the body I have I need to replace the trunk pan and trunk extensions, tail light panel, radiator support, both rear quarters, shock crossmember, rear deck filler panel. A much easier rebuild and not any different than rebuilding the original with parts from this one.
                  I think a lot of people may disagree with that.......I personally dont care but have seen people get pretty uptight bout that. I'm not trying to piss anyone off here. Your obviously not hiding it either................Your cars are pretty rotten over there huh?

Comment

Given what I have I don't think anyone will cry to loud as long as the original car doesn't survive. I am not building it back to original either so I should not have a problem with the purists. I know of a couple cars that are represented as originals and I do not agree with that. If someone were to come along and buy it they can have the problmes with the rebuilt. As is I guess I will just have a clone.

Comment

Oh I see ....I thought you were trying to build it and represent as the original car........

Comment

So what you are saying is,, the car wont be done this weekend. LOL!!! Thats alot of work ahead of you. What are you looking to do for a trans?

Comment

I am not sure what trans will end up in there, but I am leaning towards a Keisler 6 speed. The rumor is that it will end up as a Hemi bee, with fuel injection on top, probably more cubic inches in there, definately a manual transmission. :clapping:

Comment

Way to go Glenn!!! That was the answer i was hoping for!

Comment

I have a little progress to report. I have the donor torn apart and it is now about ready to have new parts added. I have taken it apart to the rear frame rails and rear window. I have replaced the rear panel that attaches to the back of the frame rails and reattached the bumper reinforcement pieces. Now to try to figure how to install the new parts, floor pan and trunk extensions and rear quarters and get them in the correct place. I am told I need to mount the doors first and then the rest should just fall on. (YEAH RIGHT). :ROFLMAO:

Comment

I was just thinking about asking you how it was going. LOL! That is alot of work to do. When are you hoping to have it ready for paint? Still figure on pulling the heads on your Roadrunner before spring?

Comment

Working...
                                X