No announcement yet.

17 years in waiting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats too bad hemibee, glad you were not hurt.
    The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

That sucks!
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

I must tell all! The radiator support that was in there had been cut out at one time so the numbers matching part was not there and it was rather crudely welded in. When the engine fell the oil pan was still behind the upper support and it came forward as it fell enough that it landed on the ground ahead of the car. I do have another (actually) two other bodies to pick parts from so I will use one of those. I was looking for the larger radiator opening but all I have are the 22" openings, so it will get one of those. Also after pulling the K-frame I can see more of the frame and I see that the left rail is rusted farther back than I first saw, so I may have to change that as well. Now I need to figure out how to support the body so when I take it all apart I can put it back together right? I will use donor parts for the frame rail and radiator support, just going to take longer to get done. I have full floor pans to replace the old ones, so I will take that out first, then the frame rail. I think I will do the inner fender frame rail and radiator support as an assembly. The front bumper was bolted on with only three bolts and now I know why. The front bolt in the right rail was broke off, so bolt extraction is in process? (lots of penetrating oil) Why couldn't it have been the left one?

I must also mention that I have always used caution when lifting anything and dropping the engine is one of the things that really wakes you up. I was using the loader on my yard tractor with a strap around the bucket to lift it, I had my wife off to the side to guide me and I was on the tractor. The bucket would not go quite high enough so I tilted the bucket and the cutting edge of the bucket is what cut the strap. Actually got into a joint in the strap where the hook was sewed on and cut the first threads and that was all it took for the weight to tear the rest of the threads. Chains are in my future and no more straps.

Comment

There should be at least once a week, a "Do Over" freebie. Turn back time for just a few minutes and start over.
          I know for one I'd be alot healthier and have just a bit more money in my pockets.

Comment

I have made a little progress on the Bee. I have taken the donor car completely apart. I have saved a lot of parts from that car. Both the front frame rails and innner fenders I took off as an assembly. I saved the left side rocker panel, both rear inner and outer fenderwells. Saved both rear framerails with the lower rear valance attached. The right rear framerail is bent at the front of the axle arc so I can't use the front part of it. The Super Bee is in worse condition than I initially had figured. It is going to get replacement parts front to back, damn near the entire car. Should have just got a different car. I am into this thing for the long haul tho. Trying to figure the best way to replace the parts without making it a big mess. Car will get a lot of new parts.

Comment

"Trying to figure the best way to replace the parts without making it a big mess."
              Lol, that's hard to not do hemi68. Just start somewhere and before you know it you'll know what you are doing.

I drilled out the factory spot welds and used an air chisel and a stiff putty knife to separate the seams.
              The mess is fixable!
              stercus accidit

Comment

well first off nice project hemibee. and holy crap 4vnut. i replaced a ton of body on my duster and helped my buddy go through a couple of sheets worth of sheetmetal on his van but ive never seen a car that taken apart all at once. was it in a crash or was cancer actually up the c piller that far?

Comment

Like hemibee I had a donor car, with a perfect body. The GTX needed the quarter panel replaced due to rust and a hit in the wheel well lip area and I didn't want a lot of bondo on the car so I replaced the entire 1/4 just like the factory did it. It took a while to say the least but the results were worth it imho.
                  stercus accidit

Comment

Thats good that you are working on it again. i know the feeling about the car being worse than what you had thought.

Comment

been there done that
                      Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

I guess I don't need to worry to much as if I gets into to much trouble I got all you guys to call on. Guess I'll just take it apart then start the reassembly as much as I can figure it out. Thought about building some kind of a jig to put the car on. Put supports and test points on a framework built on the floor then sent the new parts in the same place as the old parts were, and slowly start welding it together. This will take some time but I will get it done. I promise :angel:

Comment

Got the donor car took apart, saved most all I could. I have the inner rear wheel wells the rear frame rails the front frame rails, the left side rocker panel, the radiator support altho it is a small opening one. I may have to find the larger opening one to get the radiator I need in there. The car will get a lot of new sheet metal. I have the floor pans complete fronts, full trunk pan, trunk extensions, both rear quarters. I also have the tail panel from another donor car. Anyone got a jig to mount the car on so I can put the frame back together right? I see that AMD has one that they put the cars together on. I guess I'll have to build one?

Comment

Sounds like you have been busy. Hey i know its not about the Bee but are you still thinking about pulling the heads off the Runner?

Comment

Dang, how did I miss this thread!? Gotta go back and read up on it lol

Comment

Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
                                Sounds like you have been busy. Hey i know its not about the Bee but are you still thinking about pulling the heads off the Runner?
                                I have the car in a bag for now and working on the Bee. When I get the Bee to a point I can hand it off then I will go back a pull the heads, just for the look see to make sure nothing is going wrong. :angel:

Comment

Working...
                                X