Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building MoHawk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building MoHawk

    Mohawk


    The Mohawk is a very neglected 30-year-old project, which has spent a lot of time at a couple shops rotting. It has been back in my hands for a couple of years now, and Im starting to give it my attention.

    To refresh memories, it started life a 63 GT Hawk. The Mo part is that it will be Mopar powered. I have a 25-year-old Fresh Aluminum head 340ci motor. Thats to say that it was built by the first shop 25 years ago. Pulled a head and the pan for an inspection, and turned the rotating around a couple cycles. All looks and feels well, but the outside needs a wire brushing and paint. The first guy also grafted on some fins that look horrible. I bought a fiberglass front sheet metal clip from a 53-54 Commander about 25 years ago, but Im going to see if I can find real metal. I have a pair of fins from a 1960 Plymouth that will replace the ones grafted on.

    At the second shop, the body stayed outside with the windows open for a couple of decades. The floors are shot and the body has a lot of surface flash. Ill take it to get Dustless blasted, and then primered, so I can see exactly what body work needs to be done. The second shop convinced me that I needed to make a tube chassis for it, and grafted on the Fat Man Mustang II front end that Id bought for the original frame. I think the problem was the first shop butchered the frame and the Fat Man front clip was far from on straight. The rear end is a Mopar 8.75″. All of it was rusty from so many years sitting in the weeds at the second shop. The chunk in the 8.75″ was locked up to where it had to be removed to move the car. I dont know what is salvageable on the new brakes and front end.


    Everything was stripped off the tube chassis frame, some added strength welded in, and I did a little grinding and smoothing. Then I took the frame to get blasted and Powder-coated semi-gloss black.



    I picked it up from the powder coater and it looked good, so I took the axle housing and leaf springs for same treatment.


    I'll pick up the axle and springs tomorrow and set up an area to reassemble the chassis. I ordered a blasting hopper, and will bead blast the axles, which have a lot of flash on them. Like all projects before (the 46 Olds, the Thug, Screamin Woody, my Magnum, and the Petty Tribute this will most likely take a year of two. Stay tuned for Updates.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

  • #2
    Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	267120 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	267121 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	267122 Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	267123

    Picked up axle housing and springs from the powder coater. Looks a lot different.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

    Comment


    • #3
      Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	267137

      Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	267138
      Let the Reassembly begin
      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

      Comment


      • #4
        Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	267342

        Rear suspension assembled
        Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
        Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
        Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

        Comment

        Working...
        X