Building of the Texas Thug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot going on at the shop, here's some of the goings on:

The Whale has been sanded as smooth as a baby's ass (so I've been told), and ready to go to Indiana to be wrapped into a new theme. I will be keeping the Texas/Confederate Battle Flag roof.

The Texas Thug went on it's first road trip yesterday. Easy for 2.5 miles and the wick turned up on the way back.

All that really is left is to sand the bumpers down and try that $300 a pint chrome paint.

My 46 Olds Street Rod is halfway finished having a new wiring kit installed.

Inspected and registered my Allante, Stacker, Geezerglide, Drifter, and the Genesis I'm giving my Daughter.

Mowed the five acres that the shop is on, including the wildflower meadow I let grow until May every year. While the wildflowers are dying off, the Cactus roses are blooming. Stopped to visit with Smith and Wesson's friends. They love chasing the Angus/Brahma/Brangus calves - much to the chagrin of their mothers.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

What is the base color of the Thug? By the pictures it looks like a shade of garnet?
      "You're only as old as the women you feel."
      -Groucho Marx
      Moparless for now

Comment

a metallic Burgundy

Comment

I thought as much. I like the color enough that I'd consider repainting my truck that color.
          "You're only as old as the women you feel."
          -Groucho Marx
          Moparless for now

Comment

The only thing left are the bumpers. I have a set of fiberglass bumpers and a $300 Easy Chrome kit. I had my Shop Rat wet sand and wash the bumpers for me, so I could paint the Easy Chrome on.

However, once i got the black base coat on, i noticed some flaws from the sanding job.

I ordered another can of the black base coat, so I can do it right. There won't be enough time between now and Dave Duell Classic to wet sand, prime with heavy solids, wet sand the primer, spray on base coat, let cure 48 hours, brush on chrome, let cure, spray on top coat, let cure, and then mount on car. So I bought some aluminum stock to make mounts, and I'll mount black bumpers Tuesday - and do it right after the DDC.

Also did a major detail job on car, and ordered the hood lip trim that classic Industries repops. I also want to clean and polish up the brake master cylinder before I lad up next Thursday.

Comment

Final touch thrashing has been going on to make the Thug ready to go racing.

Aluminum Bumper brackets were fabricated and Bumpers have been mounted.

When I get back from Dave Duell Classic I'll finish sand, prime, sand again, apply Easy Chrome Basecoat, brush on Easy Chrome, and spray with clear. Wasn't enough time to do before.

Located and installed hood lip trim. I'll refinish the grill after the race.

Installed a hood rod.

Polished the ten year old radiator.

Fabricated some battery hold down spacers to replace stacks of washers I'd been using on battery hold downs.

The five year old hold downs polished up well.

Also polished up weight boxes and fuel cell.

Before is above, after is below. I also swapped out bolts on hold downs and boxes with stainless socket screws.

I replaced intake lid screws with new, and used longer stainless where fuel regulator mounts, as the bolts weren't catching threads.

Fixin to load up both cars (wagon going to get wrapped) into stacker. Were spending weekend at lake before heading out Monday evening. Virtually everything on the car is new and there was no time for Test ad Tune. The Dave Duell Classic will have to be our test season, so I expect that a lot of tweaking will be required.

Comment

Glamour Photos

Well more like photos from my iPhone before loading on trailer for its first race.

Comment

So the Thug's first time on the track occurred last week at the Dave Duell Classic in Bowling Green Kentucky. We left the race shop Monday afternoon to get under traffic, and dropped anchor 150 miles later at a Walmart in Lufkin, Texas - so I could watch the Rockets game. We pulled up anchor at 9am and called it a night at the Walmart in Jackson, TN. We again left at 9am, dumped waste tanks and filled fresh water in Franklin, KY, and meet Doug Duell at track at 2pm.

I'd also brought the Texas Whale in the stacker, as it is its turn to be restored, and I'm using a car wrapper in Evansville, In. Doug arranged for a trailer to take it from the track to Evansville. After unloading from my trailer and onto the other trailer - I helped Doug mark off pit spots for the NSS racers.

Thursday I helped park racers, replaced the slicks with new, established credentials, got my cage certified, teched car in and paid for Test N Tune.

The first time down the track the car left like a dog, and there was a bind in the throttle. I had a bad feeling in my gut when I picked up my time slip. Back in the pits we adjusted for WOT and I went back for another hit.

Again the car left like a dog and the time slip wasn't any better. In the pits we checked timing and it was only 31 degrees - so we bumped it to 35. the throttle cable moved again - so we moved that, and I found plug six wasn't on right. I was told it would be my last hit of the day because of a storm coming.

I think we might have found the problem. Ignore the light, I followed a Pro Mod and they left the tree on Pro.

In the morning was a Time trial, and I threw 100 pounds in the box to see what the car did with weight.

A little slower than I expected, but my cars have always been .003-.004 slow on first pass of day. Shortly thereafter we were called for the first Qualifying. I took 40 pounds out, but was too fast.

An hour or so later we had Qualifying Two. I went back to 100 pounds shooting for a 9.77 on my 9.75 index, but had a bad 60'

Then coming back to pits the Idle increased. I initially thought the rings seated, but when I restarted the car to put in trailer when rain came, the motor didn't sound right.

Inspection showed a loose rocker. Closer inspection saw a loose center rocker arm nut, and when rocker arm was removed - I was discovered broken at that center stud hole. While the parts were available to fix rocker arm, I threw in the towel for the event, as I want a deeper inspection of the lifters.

We left the track Sunday morning, and arrived at the shop Monday afternoon, where I unloaded the trailer.

I'll have the motor partially torn down Wednesday morning. If I dodged a bullet and only have to replace the rocker arm, then the Maiden Voyage will have been a success when you consider all of the new parts put onto a 53 year old car.

Comment

Recipe for Dave Schultz’ patented Alligator finish by rattle can

1. You have to be very rushed, in my case it has to be dry by 8am tomorrow as engine builder is coming over to fire up car, hot lash, and inspect lash caps after I hammer it down the road
                    2. It has to be a hot Texas day of 95 or hotter
                    3. Select an even hotter room that is another 20 degrees hotter, like a metal container having the full sun beating on it
                    4. After a flawless coat of primer and color, go the extra step of using a whole can of clear, one coat after another with only 2 minutes between coats.

5. Get busy doing something else for a couple hours, and then go back to see that the combination of heat and not letting clear dry between coats has the paint crawled into a puddle look
                    6. Panic and start wet sanding even though clear isn’t fully hardened yet because it was applied so thick
                    7. Now hose down and blow dry with compressed air
                    8. Immediately hit it (because you’re in a hurry) with primer again.
                    9. Come back and see it has crackled
                    10. Say screw it, it almost looks cool and hit it with a half can of year old (cuz you have no other left and Lowe’s is 20 miles away) black paint that didn’t have the nozzle cleaned by the person who last used it - and have dribbles and splatters all over you, the project and concrete
                    11. Find a nozzle off can in trash and finish.

12. Take next month trying to decide if you like the look, or need to strip and try again

Comment

Latest photos of the Texas Thug with door graphics, Metallic silver bumpers, and Parking Lens

Click image for larger version

Name:	41193223_10212286740539401_5156232582446186496_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	264946

Name:	40790526_10212285525509026_8808894378392158208_n.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	264947

Name:	40920956_10212285525109016_5137645982623727616_n.jpg
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	264948

Name:	40895914_10212284509323622_1522677923474046976_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	264949

Comment

I fixed the trunk seal on the Thug, and the Rat washed it. Waiting on the rear glass from Proglass. I’ll be tearing the trunk down over the winter for another coat of spatter paint and clear, and to polish the aluminum. The car also needs to go on the lift for the Rat to scrub the underside and for me to inspect and tighten suspension. I really hope to have the Screamin Woody ready as primary car for Bradenton, and for the Thug to go to back up duty. Maybe Dallas will run once or twice next year as his car is kn need of a total rebuild as he’s working too many hours to deal with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X