No announcement yet.

Building of the Texas Thug

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a little more work done on the Thug Wednesday.

The brakes on all four corners finished, just need to be bled.
    Four new Afco shocks and a pair of new springs.
    Most of front suspension on
    I was going to sell the 580ci/572-16 head engine because the 572 heads want so much RPMs, but I've decided to use it after all in the Thug as the machinist s taking a very long time to do my blocks.
    Ordered 30' of #10 AN hose, a new 5gal aluminum fuel cell, a pair of custom aluminum weight boxes, and trying to negotiate a fuel system from fuelab so I don't has to use the Aeromotive I use to have on the car

I hope to have the trunk looking like new and the fuel lines finished by Dec 10th, then get the motor and transmission in the car, then the new wiring, then the interior, and finally the the final trim assembly so I can get to the track in mid February to shake down.

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

The cage in the Texas Thug was scuffed and painted in Black Hammertone, and the seats were reinstalled. The lighting of the photos is weak.

The heads are ready to pick up from machine shop, and I expect the motor to be fully assembled by Friday. I have the new aluminum fuel cell, a pair of battery mounts ready to go. A pair or ballast boxes will be in Thursday and hopefully the fuel system will be in next week so I can get the trunk finished and run new fuel lines and 00 battery cable to front of car.

More updates to follow.

Comment

Engine done to the heads, which should be ready Monday or Tuesday

I have a cart set up to finish a little metal work around the tubs, and some seam sealer.

I have another cart set up with weight boxes, 5 gal fuel cell, battery hold downs, spatter paint, fuel line, new tail lights, lens, housings, and gaskets. I'll be finishing the trunk, fuel lines and battery cable next week.

I've cleaned and ordered everything I need to reassemble the Mega Block motor with 572 heads. Just waiting on the block to receive new sleeves, be machined and the rotating balanced.

Finally, here's a photo of the pistons and rods from the windowed motor, before I chunked into the future art bin.

I bought a real nice grill without any dents or dinks, just needs a little polish after I cut up another grill to make it a A990 grill.

Comment

Engine done, except for Smith Bros Push Rods, due tomorrow.

i wish the Aerospace Vacuum pump had a snout that allowed the engine to be turned over with a breaker bar.

Engine bay ready to accept engine (after cross link taken back out). Will have to change mounts from the Elephant Ears I use to run, to the motor plate.

Got the underside patched and sealed where needed, and most everything out of trunk. I'll pull old weight box and all thread battery hold down tomorrow, and mock up tomorrow. Then I'll need and install an aluminum skin to clean up all of the bolt/hose/fuel pump holes. Then scuff, mask, and paint.

Bumpers were rough sanded and imperfections skimmed with Bondo. Tommorrow comes the finish sanding and a trip to the wrap guy, to wrap in chrome

Comment

I started the day pushing the Whale into the shop. I'll soon start stripping, bagging, tagging and binning.

I finished sanding the fiberglass bumpers, wrapped them, and made an 80-mile round trip to drop off to get wrapped in Chrome.

The valve covers on the Thug's engine were badly stained. I tried scrubbing with a stiff brush and solvent, but they still looked like crap. So I painted Burgundy to match the car, and let them dry in 80-degree bright sun all afternoon. I used 12oz of paint (6 coats) before I got it as smooth as I wanted it.

I installed the Thug's Door Cards with new handles. It did require a run to Lowes.

A friend made me up this lettering a few years ago. I should have put them on a car sooner, as it was a bitch getting the paper off after a coupe of years.

I was going to work on the trunk, but I need some hardware to do the tail lights, and I need to do that first?

The steering column was taken down to bare metal (forgot to photo), and its hanging, waiting for some gloss Black paint in morning, before the cold front comes in over the weekend.

Photo of the Tubular Upper/lower QA1 Control Arms in front and Aerospace Components Brakes on all four corners. This is the third car I've replaced the Wilwoods with Aerospace Components. Don't worry about a little flash on the rotors. It will be gone when I break in the pads.

I needed to leave a little early to order parts, so I covered the Thug and put the freshly painted Valve Covers on the Engine - before locking up.

Comment

Afternoon photos. Smith Bros push rods came in and got dropped into motor, TD Rockers mounted and lash set cold. Vacuum pump line made. Plugs installed. Head oiling lines and sending switches screwed in. The missing ARP head washers (Thanks Again Indy!) came in as I was leaving, so theyíll wait until next week. Carb tops taken off and inspected to see if they needed rebuilt. Looked good.

Ordered 1350 U Joints and Billet trans yoke. Iíll strip and paint next week. Planned the fuel system and ordered the proper amount of 90/45/straight hose ends.

Took hood off Thug as the engine and trans will have to go in as a unit so motor plate mounts can get welded in.

Steering clear column was painted, plugs found for wipers, SFI fireproof cage padding installed and a little shop clean up.

Got quite a bit done, but still have a long way to go to get this car ready for Testing in early February

Comment

Engine and Transmission now in car

The headers I use to run in this car went into the Big Red Ram, when I converted the car to an automatic for Dallas. The headers that I ran in BRR, when it was a stick, wont work in this car with an automatic. I'll need to borrow Dallas' headers until I can get some new ones made.

I'm hoping that the steering link will still go through the Charlie's Oil Pan, as I'm using a new motor plate to replace the Elephant Ears I use to have. Also hoping the driveshaft still fits. I painted it last week, ordered a new billet trans yoke and 1350 U-Joints. However, while the rear of driveshaft is a 1350, the Ford 9" was not. I just had to order a non-standard U-Joint from Strange.

Steering column is now also in the car.

I also strung new 00 battery cable front to back.

Still have a ton to do before Bradenton, and more cold weather due in next week. I bought a propane hater for the shop. Hopefully, it will keep it warm enough.

Comment

BK

Looking at the oil pan on the engine...
                        What is the capacity?
                        Did you find it helped with horse power over a traditional pan with out the kick out?
                        Is it a standard build of Charlieís?
                        Can or do you run a baffle/scraper?
                        Would you share the cost?
                        VV

Comment

It is a Charlies
                          10 quarts
                          Charlie has the plans to build for 63-65 B-body, but he sold the company and new owner not as good. On my 60 plymouth, I used instructions on their web site to make measurments
                          All kinds of baffles, trap doors, and crank scraper
                          Has double swinging pick up
                          Not cheap, I think I paid over $1100

Comment

Got the new tail light installed

Swapped out the chrome fastening hardware for the door cards to black.

Stripped everything out of trunk and started mocking up where I'm going to locate the fuel cell, a pair of 16v batteries and a pair of weight boxes; and where metal and frame cross members (to legally mount) will be going.

Started fabricating fuel cell mount

And stripped out the rear (fuel cell, battery hold downs ...) and under (Fuel lines, Fuel pump/filters, battery cable...) of the wagon - to get it ready for paint.

Comment

Didnít get enough done as I had to run to Metal Supermarket for metal stock TWICE, and thatís a 90 minute round trip from Beasley. I left early to shower the metal shavings off before my mother and remaining siblings does itís annual grave site memorial & remembrance for my father. Then we were off to El Rodneys for our monthly (more like 9 times a year) Family Dinner with lots of El Mucho Grande Margaritas. As you can see from the photos, I'm the eldest remaining male Schultz. We're a very close family who all live within spittin distance of each other. As we get older, we try to spend more time with each other. Collectively, we have about 30 kids (I have five) who are equally close, and I suspect all of our grand kids will also be close as they get older.

I got most everything out from under hood of Texas Whale (Wagon about to be restored) and the seats from inside. It will go on the rack for the underside to be stripped and painted. Then new carpet. Then chrome removed and body sanded smooth. Finally a distinctive body wrap before reassembly. New Lexan. Rear end will be dropped, disassembled, painted and rebuilt. Suspension and shocks will also be rebuilt.

Transmission is finished, engine parts are at the shop waiting for the block that is at machinist getting eight cylinder sleeves and machining.

But this site is about the Texas Thug.

Today, I Re-fabricated a better fuel cell mounting (I canít have the cell's fuel fittings go under the car because of the way the 4-link was done) and did final mock up. I wasn't happy with the version of mount I'd done yesterday.

Tomorrow I put new trunk floor and underside cross member bracing in, and spatter paint.

Thursday I hope to have everything bolted in.

Friday, I want to run new fuel lines, make all the battery wiring, and polish the aluminum.

Times running out on my March 1st deadline, but I'm pretty sure I'll make it. I've been sick since Christmas, but nwnwell enough to play catch up from time lost.

Comment

Didnít get as far as I wanted today. Iíve been sick since Christmas and my ass is dragging. Anyway, golf cart is modified so I can get into trailer with rear seat on. The floor flips up to be in trailer, and down when out.

Got all of the 1/8Ē plate riveted into trunk. Tried one can of spatter paint after a can of adhesion promoter, and it didnít cover shit. So I sprayed two cans of primer (still streaky wet in photos) and will let dry over night. I feel like I inhaled half of the primer.

Tomorrow Iíll spray in four cans of spatter paint and let dry for a couple of days. Monday Iíll bolt everything in and add the underside frame bracing. Iíll maybe work on window net, 5 point harness, and headers while spatter paint cures.

Comment

Working...
                                X