X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building of the Texas Thug

Texas Thug is a 1965 Coronet hardtop that I've races since 2003

Originally it was a 383 4-speed street racer

Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Its next iteration was a 11.0 Bracket Racer with a 4-Link, 451ci, 14" Slicks and transbrake

Comment

Next a dropped a 540 Indy motor with a pair of Dominators and it was a 9.3 car

Comment

Then a on the third pass after having the engine rebuilt, catastrophe!

Comment

The car sat for quite a few years, and I was racing the red 4-speed Coronet in Nostalgia Super Stock - while my son raced a Demon in Nostalgia Muscle Car. He wanted to move up to NSS and I rebuilt the car for him to race. The 4-Link was totally replaced and a 580ci motor built for it.

Comment

My son really didn't like the car, I'd moved to the 60 Plymouth Wagon - so I totally rebuilt the Red Coronet as an automatic, and replaced the Ladder bars befre giving that car to him. After the car sat fr a couple of years I decided to totally rebuild as my back up car, and tje car I'd race while I had the wagon restored one last time.

The car was stripped and I came up with a paint scheme similar to the California Flash, but in a metallic dark red and silver.

I sent the car to Louisiana for Randy Stansbury to fix the rear fender flares, poor passenger door fit, and paint. I also ordered front and rear Pro Glass and had him install with Window seals.

Comment

​​​​​​​

Comment

I brought the Thug Back to Richmond and a trimmed/boxed/powder coated K Frame with QA1 tubular A Arms.

​​​​​​​

Comment

The car stalled for about a year, until I mved to my new shop in Beasley, Tx.

Comment

This month I've dropped the 4-link out of car, disassembled, inspected, cleaned, scuffed, and painted.

Comment

Underside of car has been cleaned and painted, and I'll lift Rearend into place and reassemble 4-Link when I return from Father in Laws funeral in Buffalo.

Comment

To refresh your memory, the Texas Thug was the black Coronet that I've had for many years. It was stripped, body repaired, painted, and now being reassembled.

Thug's rebuilt, repainted 4-link reinstalled with brand new Aerospace Components disc brakes replacing the Wilwoods I use to have in it. This car should be finished by May. Will run it a few times to get dialed in - and will run next year while Whale gets stripped, repainted, and rebuilt.

Comment

Next on the list of things to do are:
                          1. Sand and paint the driveshaft, then it will be installed with new yoke loops and 1350 U-Joints
                          2. Install front brakes
                          3. Install Freshly rebuilt 580CI / Indy 572 head Engine and transmission with ATI converter
                          4. Touchup Paint the underside of car where black is on silver where it shouldn't be
                          5. Splatter paint the trunk
                          6. Restore grill
                          7. Install a pair of 16V batteries
                          8. I was going to chrome wrap the fiberglass bumpers, but I'm going to try Chrome paint first and install with brackets fabricated in aluminum
                          9. Install fuel cell with new fuel lines to Fuelabs Pump and Filters.
                          10. Clean up and reuse 00 Battery cable
                          11. Run new wiring from Switch panel to fuel pump relay and relay to pump
                          12. Install new headlight and taillight wiring to switchbox
                          13. Install new water pump, fan, and transmission cooler fan wiring from switchbox to relays, to components
                          14. Install new starter wiring from switchbox to starter relay
                          15. Locate and install inside Windshield trim to hold Proglass from blowing in
                          16. Pull out carpet and replace after painting cage with POR15
                          17. Paint and install steering column, and install new interior door handles and window cranks

Comment

Can't wait to see it fully restored.

Comment

Quite honestly, the building of the Thug has been stalled because of other priorities and breaking the race cars. however the Thug's transmission has been gone through and rebuilt - and today I painted it burgandy, which is the main color of the Thug.

A full can of Krylon Burgundy, then another full can an hour later.

Comment

Working...
                              X