X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorty Thompson
    started a topic Motor build question

Motor build question

Okay , Putting a 360 crank into a 318 . I got most of of the piston height problem down to the piston sticking out of the hole at .270" . With that being said and not knowing how far into the hole the stock crank has the stock piston inside I'll need to take that into consideration before I start cutting piston tops . Also ! Gasket squish . How much does the normal head gasket flatten out , then stop . That's got to be taken into consideration as well .

So ,,,,,,,,,,,, Here's the question !!!!!!!!

How much is normally cut off the top of the piston for this procedure ?

• Shorty Thompson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    I don't know about the later model Magnum motors but all the early 318's that I've been in had pistons well below the deck. A 67 teen from a Coronet I had had a forged crank and full floating rods and even it had pistons down in the hole.
    For the most part . If that slug sat far enough in the hole . I'd consider trying to dome these plugs . I think i remember something about someone saying that they've seen the pistons sit as far as .060 in the hole . Not exactly what I want , but lessens the burden of the reconfiguration .

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    I don't know about the later model Magnum motors but all the early 318's that I've been in had pistons well below the deck. A 67 teen from a Coronet I had had a forged crank and full floating rods and even it had pistons down in the hole.

Leave a comment:

• Shorty Thompson
    replied
    Piston's were 1 of 2 sets that Damon recommended , Silvolite 1278's . I tell the biggest thing that's bugging me is how far in the hole do the teen's piston actually sit . I know they differ , but I'm sure not that much . I gotta get somethings cleaned up , and round up my motor stand yet , but it looks like the magnum's heading in place before too much longer .

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Depends on the piston. Several years back I machined about .200" out from under a piston head in order to reduce weight but I measured the thickness of the piston head before doing this. They were the old style TRW slugs and back then they usually just added material to the top to adjust compression height and is one of the reasons they were usually so damn heavy. If you don't have the correct tools for doing this, do not machine them until you can find a machinist that has them. On the gaskets, they do not compress much but most manufacturers list that number and most list it on their internet site.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X