X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GT340
    started a topic Drive line and u-joints abuse

Drive line and u-joints abuse

I just had my Plymouth Duster fine tuned. Just installed Caltracs w/two left SS springs. It's running like a champ, but, the pro-drag guy that just finished the Caltracs advised me not to drop the tire pressure too low because after driving and testing it by his shop he is very sure that it will pull the front end if it hooks up. He had advised me to change the drive shaft and sent me to a local shop. This shop doesn't think the OEM u-joints will hold up. And they also don't think that the original drive line that came on the Duster 340 will take the torque. I'm thinking the drive shaft will hold up but worry about the u-joints. It's running a pro-built 727 w/3800 stall converter.

So has anyone else run the OEM drive shaft and u-joints with their car without any problems. It's becoming a money pit. And I may just run it on the edge of wheel spin until I feel like spending the money for a few runs at the strip. It's a weekend car most of the time, but, I'd like to see how it will do at the strip.

Any suggestions on where to get a driveshaft safety yoke.

• Darlantan
    replied
    Safety loop well worth the benefit of not having to chase the drive shaft into the weeds if it lets go. Been there, seen that. Never actually paid money for one, but well worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Bblock
    replied
    I tore up a fair number of stock drive shafts years ago on my 340 Duster 4 speed. Can make a mess and the drive shaft loop saved my bacon when I blew the drive shaft at the end of the track. Felt it start to vibrate and lifted my feet off the floor praying it would not somehow dig into the track. It worked. Good luck with it.

Leave a comment:

• cudatom
    replied
    The stock driveshaft will hold up better than what many say. But for the low cost I would have one made up. I ran my stock shaft for yrs (original to my 73 340 cuda ). Had it shortened in 89 when I put a dana under the car. Had small oem front joint and combo rear(small at shaft and 1350 size at rear end yoke). Car was 3400lbs not real fast 10teens and 1.41 60'. I was a foot brake racer so this also contributed to the longevity.
    As I got older I started to realize what a crazy risk I was taking and switched to an aftermarket shaft and 1350 joints.

Leave a comment:

• GT340
    replied
    Originally posted by BK View Post
    I think A good driveshaft from someone reputable on race driveshafts, like Victory, would be a good investment. You're may be talking $350

call Wes at Mancinni Racing (tell him you're a MoparStyle member) and he'll hook you up with the right Victory
    Thanks, $350 sounds reasonable to me. I think replacing the yolks will be the expensive part of the upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• BK
    replied
    I think A good driveshaft from someone reputable on race driveshafts, like Victory, would be a good investment. You're may be talking $350

call Wes at Mancinni Racing (tell him you're a MoparStyle member) and he'll hook you up with the right Victory

Leave a comment:

• GT340
    replied
    Originally posted by gsmagnum View Post
    Is the rear an 8 3/4? What are you running for an engine?
    BK has one with Cal Tracks in the Demon that he has for sale and it breaks into the 10's.
    Engine (360ci) was built by Bob Lambeck out of Northridge California. Yes it has the original (rebuilt) 8 3/4.

Leave a comment:

• gsmagnum
    replied
    Is the rear an 8 3/4? What are you running for an engine?
    BK has one with Cal Tracks in the Demon that he has for sale and it breaks into the 10's.

Leave a comment:

• Old_Demon
    replied
    I would definitely get a new driveshaft and some 1350 joints if you're capable of pulling the wheels. And as Cranky mentioned, definitely get a driveshaft loop.

Leave a comment:

• GT340
    replied
    Thanks Cranky, Yup safety loop.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    If it has enough power to yank the front wheels, it probably can break the stock u-joints. The shaft may take it but if you do break a u-joint, think of all the damage it can do including damaging the transmission. Go ahead and spend the money on the last weak link you have. Safety yoke? Are you talking about a safety loop? Summit and plenty of other stores like that have them....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X