70 Duster drag car build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70 Duster drag car build

Got this car from an estate auction. No motor. The intention is to build a car to race 10.0 index with a gen 3 hemi.

Motor will be a 414 stroker (5.7 based). 12.5:1 compression, full race cam and springs. Going with a drag pak manifold and a single Pro Systems 1080 cfm carb for now. Ignition will be controlled by MSI 6-Hemi controller. The engine builder predicts 700+ HP. TTI headers and motor mounts and a small block 727 Torqueflite transmission with bolt on sprag and Reverse pattern manual valve body, but no transbrake.

Comment

Work done so far: Driver's seat lowered 2" (previous owner must have been a midget) so my helmet won't hit the ceiling! Electrical system checked out and rewired where needed. All gauges except tach will need to be replaced. Brake system complete overhaul including master cylinder. Trunk organized, new battery and fuel cell hold downs, new battery terminals. All rubber fuel line replaced, fuel pump removed and tested out okay.

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress.... One of my favorite race cars was a 70 Duster..... Photos would help also.....
        Mack Reeves
        FS/C 2377
        2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

In the mid 70's I bought my girlfriend a 69 Dart, 318 auto, ac, ps. She was under 5' tall and wanted me to raise the seat but I told her I wouldn't be able to drive it so we found a suitable cushion. She was fun Sounds like a cool build and post some pics!

Comment

Pictures if this is going to be a build documentation thread
            Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
            Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
            Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

Nice project. I want one so bad. Raced a 70 Duster with a built 340 back in the day. Hadn't been back to the track in years because I knew I missed it too much. My wife wanted to go last weekend and yep. I want a 70 Duster to build. Keep us posted and we need lots of pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by BK View Post
                Pictures if this is going to be a build documentation thread
                Would love to, cannot figure out how to insert pics into message. Also carriage return doesn't work, everything prints on the same line then word wraps. Need help here, I'm old and not too computer savvy. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by CenTx2012RT View Post
                  Work done so far: Driver's seat lowered 2" (previous owner must have been a midget) so my helmet won't hit the ceiling! Electrical system checked out and rewired where needed. All gauges except tach will need to be replaced. Brake system complete overhaul including master cylinder. Trunk organized, new battery and fuel cell hold downs, new battery terminals. All rubber fuel line replaced, fuel pump removed and tested out okay.
                  Well some silly SOB has put hubs and drums on this car that are not Mopar bolt pattern Trying to get the right drums/shoes is going to be fun......NOT

Comment

Would love to, cannot figure out how to insert pics into message. Also carriage return doesn't work, everything prints on the same line then word wraps. Need help here, I'm old and not too computer savvy. :-)
                    Carriage return? Are you using a typewriter for a keyboard?
                    I use a photo hosting site like photo bucket to store pics and it's easy to import them to here once they are on the host site....

Comment

Well some silly SOB has put hubs and drums on this car that are not Mopar bolt pattern Trying to get the right drums/shoes is going to be fun......NOT
                      What size? 5x4" or 5x4.75" or 5x5"?
                      '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

This was mine. Sure wish I had kept it.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=6

Comment

Originally posted by Bblock View Post
                          This was mine. Sure wish I had kept it.

http://s1216.photobucket.com/user/pa...tml?sort=3&o=6
                          Did you ever race it in the rain? One night I forgot to shut off the AC on my Belvedere and got waved off....oh well. Didn't have wipers or AC on my race car tho.

Comment

lol No rain racing. I kept the car licensed and at times put the plates back on, installed a couple of mufflers that I had set up for quick installation and test drove it on the street. Could have got nailed for the slicks I guess. It went back on the street when I sold it. Gets cold up here in the Fall. The heater was handy
                            That car was only a couple of years old. Pulled the engine and had it built and installed the 4 speed. It came from the factory with a 3 speed manual with a floor shift.
                            Been looking for a duster. Came across a 66 Belvedere I 2dr post car. I wish I could afford it. Won a lot of trophies with my 67 Belvedere II 383 and it was the best car I owned. Ordered that car new. I'd really like to do a little racing again.

http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/sho...214#post197214
                            Last edited by Bblock; 07-18-2013, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple of mine.... Really do miss that car!!!! Its in Pa. and still racing today.....

Mack Reeves
                              FS/C 2377
                              2009 DragPak U 426-004

Comment

Working...
                              X