2-door Volare' wagon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-door Volare' wagon

Looking into building 1 , though 1 never existed to begin with . Got to the wagon first , but I wanna know if my approach is the correct one . I know the the angles of the "A" pilars are different from the 2 door . So what I'm asking is this . If I cut/drill out the spot welds on the top of the "A" pilars , door sills , floor pans , and roll out the from the firewall forward and roll in a 2-door firewall forward , will it work ? All comments and directions are welcome .
    All throttle , no bottle .

If you look in the Car Builds forum -- you can see how my wagon was changed to a 2-door with cutting out the door and pillar from a 2-door post (which Volare didn't make) and welding it into the sides of the wagon -- then welding up the gaps where the rear door was.
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

If you look in the Car Builds forum -- you can see how my wagon was changed to a 2-door with cutting out the door and pillar from a 2-door post (which Volare didn't make) and welding it into the sides of the wagon -- then welding up the gaps where the rear door was.

I do & did , and I drool over it everytime . I'm thinking I wished it was that easy , but the angle of the door glass being different , mine would not be as easy as yours .

Comment

I don't think it's just the angle of the A pillar, it's that the 2 door roof is lower. So you'd have to chop the other pillars to make the wagon roof match to the coupe front A pillars. i think it would be best to keep the A pillars as they are and modify the coupe doors and glass to work with that.

Keep in mind, I've never done anything like that, just pointing out what seems easiest in my uninformed opinion.
        12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

2 door doors for a Le baron/Diplomat and a Volare are the same; except for the glass; any chance that Lebaron side windows are what you need to match the A pillars?
          this is a project I have hjad in the back of my mind since HS the debate in my head is wheher to do it on a B body or an F body platform;

but the firewall itself is the same between body styles; as has been said, the difference is in the angle of the A pillars and the height of the roof... swapping firewalls would be unnecessary; though the cutouts and such in a 76/77 vs 78-up firewall are different from each other (where the bulkhead goes thru, and pertaining to the AC/heater box) in the F body line...

Comment

Lebaron/Diplomat windows ? I have no idea if they're taller or not .

Comment

LeBaron/Diplomat 2 door shares the windshield with the 2 door F body, so it must also have the lower roof line. I think you'll need custom door glass.
              12 Dodge Challenger SXT, 99 Dodge Dakota R/T, 89 Dodge Dakota Sport, 88 Plymouth Gran Fury, 81 Dodge Mirada, 79 Chrysler Cordoba, 68 Plymouth Valiant My Garage

Comment

All I know is it would be cool to see it, go Shorty!

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Originally posted by DobaMark View Post
                  LeBaron/Diplomat 2 door shares the windshield with the 2 door F body, so it must also have the lower roof line. I think you'll need custom door glass.
                  well then why are the door windows different between a LeBaron and a Volare? maybe same windshield but stood up straighter?? I never did check into it to see if a 4 door/wagon windshield was any different from a 2 door.... though I know the wagon windshield has less "rake" to it than a 2 door

---------- Post added at 04:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Originally posted by Shorty Thompson View Post
                  Lebaron/Diplomat windows ? I have no idea if they're taller or not .
                  I D K if the difference in door glass is so much more height, as it is the angle of the A pillars////

Comment

Don , My understanding is that the angle is the key factor here . That's why I was gonna pull the whole front clip .

Comment

Originally posted by volaredon View Post
                      well then why are the door windows different between a LeBaron and a Volare? maybe same windshield but stood up straighter?? I never did check into it to see if a 4 door/wagon windshield was any different from a 2 door.... though I know the wagon windshield has less "rake" to it than a 2 door
                      It is the height of the roof. Pretty obvious when the cars are side by side. Glass is "taller" in a sedan or wagon than a coupe. Windsheild is the same for F or M as long as the body style matches.

There is almost 2 inches more headroom in a Volare front seat if it's a sedan or wagon compared to a coupe. Same measure,ents if you compare a Diplomat sedan or wagon to a Diplomat coupe.

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Don , My understanding is that the angle is the key factor here . That's why I was gonna pull the whole front clip .
                      You'll either have to chop the wagon roof to meet the coupe a pillars (which causes glass problems elsewhere) or leave the wagon pillars alone and get custom door glass.

Comment

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Shorty Thompson

You'll either have to chop the wagon roof to meet the coupe a pillars (which causes glass problems elsewhere) or leave the wagon pillars alone and get custom door glass.

Or take a closer look at the '80 Aspen . Knowing that the wagons are framed doors . I wondered if and coupe style bodys were as well . Now I find that '80's Aspens are framed too . Interesting I think .

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by Shorty Thompson

Or take a closer look at the '80 Aspen . Knowing that the wagons are framed doors . I wondered if and coupe style bodys were as well . Now I find that '80's Aspens are framed too . Interesting I think .
                          I have an 80 2 door; no framed glass....I do remember the 4 door and wagons being framed... over the years I have had a few 2 door F bodies, along with 5th avenue's and Diplomat 4 doors, and of course my Dad's old 79 Aspen wagon but I dont think we had any 2 of these cars at the same time (at least not of the different body styles, anyway) to compare to...

I have never tried it, but have been told the door glass on a Diplomat wont fit an Aspen; I remember when I was shopping for doors for my Volare that the doors were the same between a 2 door of each, but that the glass was different between a 2 door F and a 2 door M;
                          in fact one of the doors I have in the shed for my Volare, came from a 2 door M body; and the guy I bought the pair of doors from, claimed that this was why there was no door glass included.... that though the doors were identical the glass was not. man I gotta get back goin on that car; it has been too damn long since I bought them doors for them to stay sittin in the shed, I need to get them onto the car! (and everything else too)

Comment

This isn't framed ?

Comment

This isn't framed ?

Can't see the picture! What is it??

But my real question is this:

Why would you want a 2dr. Volare wagon; it will cost ten times more to build one than it will ever be worth!

BUT, I remember back in the '60's, a local Oldsmobile/Chevrolet dealer sold a brand new 1965 Olds 442 post coupe, 400 engine, 4spd. trans. The new owner soon rolled it over and wrecked it, and the insurance company totaled the car. It remained at the dealership, wrecked, until one slow day, the body man decided to cut off the back of the roof, install a rear window from a '57 Olds 2dr., and a bed/tailgate from a wrecked El Camino. The dealership used it as a parts getter for years.........it was really slick, and went like a bat out of heck.......and surprised many a Chevy guy at the stoplights!! :yeah that: :ROFLMAO:

Comment

Working...
                              X