X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zij576ca
    started a topic (Yet another) Road Runner build

(Yet another) Road Runner build

I should have begun this thread a month ago. Whatever, I'm starting it now. I finally started the resurrection of my '69 Road Runner. I last drove it at Carlsbad Raceway (RIP) back in 2003. Last run the engine decided it didn't want to stay in one piece.

Long story short - it sat for 8 1/2 years with no engine.

Fast forward to early this year. I've decided to put it back on the street with a 500 cu in stroker motor. So I spent the summer getting it ready for a trip to the body shop to repair the ravages of racing and time. At 43 years old it needs more than a bit of TLC. I removed most of the parts I could to prepare it to be sent to the body shop as a rolling chassis.

So, this past September the body shop finally had an opening for what will be a lengthy stay.

Out of the garage ...

On the truck and to the shop we go ...

This is the progress after a month.

Week 1: Striped bare, revealing all ... Start applying bondo to the low spots ...

Week 2: Continue with more bondo, sanding, blocking, more sanding, blocking, more, more, more ...

Week 3: After 3 weeks she has the first complete coat of primer. More blocking & sanding to come.

Set the hood on to judge the fit. Looking good. Next will come placing the hood pins ...

• dodgeboy8
    replied
    Cool!

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
    Congrats! Let us know how it is when you really get after it. lol
    I've been gettin' after it in stages. Other day getting on the freeway, doing about 50 in 3rd, stomped on it - was doing 90ish @ 4000 rpm in an eye blink. Lucky no CHP were anywhere in sight.

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
    When is track day!!?
    I'm thinking when I take the Runner to Mopars at the Strip in Vegas next March.

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    As I said, a long road, but I'm super happy that the Runner is finally home in my garage. A 3 year odyssey from start to finish, if you don't count the years the car sat and I just thought about what I wanted to do with it. Now I just "wanna have fun ..."

Leave a comment:

• Unfettered
    replied
    Glad to see it is finally back on the road.

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    When is track day!!?
    Probably after I get more "seat time" in this beast.

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    When is track day!!?

Leave a comment:

• Old_Demon
    replied
    Congrats! The car looks great, enjoy it.

Leave a comment:

• hemi67s
    replied
    Congrats! Let us know how it is when you really get after it. lol

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    More photos

A couple more photos and an update. Our club car show was held yesterday (07-18-2015) and the Runner was voted Best Mopar of the show and received a trophy. Totally unexpected - the "maiden voyage," so to speak and it gets an award. Totally awesome.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    Road Runner COMPLETED

It was a long road, but the Runner is finally home. I picked it up this past Thursday and drove it home from Viau Motorsports. Ran great with power to spare.

Here's some pics of the final product.

The engine is a bored/stroked 440 block of 496 cubes. It dyno'd out at 574 HP @ 5600 rpm & 632 lbs ft. torque @ 3700 rpm. The thing is a beast. It will definitely put you back in your seat when stomped on. But with the 30" rears and 3.55:1 gears it cruises down the hwy @ 65 mph under 2500 rpm! The thing doesn't even break a sweat. What other 500 inch motor with that much power does that? It's mild mannered, fun to drive, but can turn nasty in an instant if you let it. As the guys at the shop said, it's a car that can easily get me in trouble if I'm not careful.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zij576ca; 07-19-2015, 05:05 PM. Reason: more content

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    Looks great!! And I don't know of any engine that didn't cross at 5250.....
    I knew that, lol

Leave a comment:

• Cranky
    replied
    Looks great!! And I don't know of any engine that didn't cross at 5250.....

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    A few more random photos of the restoration

Thought I'd post a few more photos of the work being done ...

Correcting the area behind the grill. The body shop had painted it same as the body. I found out that Ma Mopar didn't want attention diverted from the grill area so Viau Motorsports set about to correct it. Doesn't show much on darker colored cars but really is evident on the lighter ones, so ...

A couple of interior shots ...
    Restored dash panel

Rear seat & side trim panel
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• zij576ca
    replied
    Dyno numbers for engine ...

Thanks, guys. It's been a long road, but worth it. Can't wait to mash the gas for the first time, haha. Meanwhile, here's the dyno sheet of the run where the engine got the max numbers ...

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X