Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More project updates

Ok, 6 more months have passed since my last post. Time for more updates:

September- The Runner didn't make it to the shop until September. The project has morphed from my original goal of installing a new engine and changing the rear gears (not going to drive around with 4.88s on the street) to what amounts to about a 95% restoration job with some changes/mods from what it wasin 1969. Right now the Runner is hanging out on a 2 post lift with the front & rear suspension components removed. It's a shell of its' former self.

Click image for larger version

Name:	on.2.post.lift.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	242299 Click image for larger version

Name:	on.2.post.lift.down.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	242300 Click image for larger version

Name:	engine.bay.below.b.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	242301 Click image for larger version

Name:	underside.view.jpg
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	242302

Some of the planned mods …

Interior- The interior will be completely replaced. New headliner, door panels, recovered seats. Buckets will stay - not going back to a bench. Rear seat will go back in so I'll have a full interior. Body & Frame- Body wise I will have sub frame connectors installed. Rear end – Rebuilt SureGrip w/3:55:1 gears & Moser or Strange axles. Rear springs will be heavy duty Hemi units. Ditto the torsion bars for the front suspension.

October– Runner is completely stripped and ready for fixing all the little things that happen overtime. The instrument cluster has been refreshed (looks brand new). Steering column will be switched back to the original one for power steering. Took delivery of all the interior stuff – door panels,seat covers, carpet, etc.

Name:	stripped.interior.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	242303
    Last edited by zij576ca; 01-01-2015, 01:18 AM.
    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
    Lifer #49
    Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

Comment

To continue from last post ...

For some reason I'm limited to 5 pics per post ??? Anyway, continuing with the project update from the above post ...

November - The rear end rebuild has been completed. I decided to convert the front drum brakes to disk; those parts have been delivered. Bonus – I was able to sell the front drum pieces for $80. I also sold the used rear pumpkin (S/G & 4.88 gears) for $250. For wheels, I haven't decided between Centerlines or a set of “5 spoke mags” - Torquethrusts. The sub frame connectors have been installed.

Name:	frame.connector.left.side.jpg
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	242305 Click image for larger version

Name:	frame.connector.right.side.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	242304

On the 22nd I went to the shop and assisted in the assembly of my engine. Completed the short block assembly. What's left is the top end – heads, valley pan, distributor, etc. That will be done this coming Friday, January 2nd. Then on to the dyno shop on January 15th.

Project is moving along. Hope to be done by January's end. Check the links in my sig for more project pictures.
      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
      Lifer #49

Comment

Wow, looking good!
        The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
        ~Ted Nugent

Comment

Looks Fantastic. A friend of mine had a 6-Pack Super Bee that color. Always loved that car especially with black trim.

-Dave
          Please Pray for our brothers and sisters in harms way!

Comment

Coming along great! And I don't know why it's only allowing 5 pics in a post.....or why your sig isn't showing up. Things look ok in the admin control panel.
            Last edited by Cranky; 01-01-2015, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
              Coming along great! And I don't know why it's only allowing 5 pics in a post.....or why your sig isn't showing up. Things look ok in the admin control panel.
              It's weird, Cranky. Sig shows on some posts and not others. Only thing I cann think of would be the length of the post - lots of content vs not so much content. Oh, well, no big deal.
              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
              Lifer #49

Comment

Lookin really good. That RR is gonna be real sweet when finished.Hats off to ya.
                sigpic
                '79 Pro-Street Volare Premiere~365~8 3/4 w 4:56
                Trans and converter W.I.P.

Just say "NO" to Meat Glue

Comment

Engine is BUILT

The engine for my beeper is complete. Dyno day is Jan 15th at West Tech in LA. I'll post the numbers when I have them. Can't wait; should be fun.
                  Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                  Lifer #49

Comment

The numbers are in!

Dyno day is in the books. Spent the day at Westech Performance in LA. Peak Torque of 632 lbs ft @ 3700 RPM. Peak HP is 574 @ 5600 RPM. The torque & HP curves cross @ 5250 RPM with 569 lbs ft torque & HP. I'll post pics and the full dyno run graph in the next few days.

This beast is a stump pulling monster.
                    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                    Lifer #49

Comment

More pics

Figured it's time to show some more photos. Runner is very near completion. It should be back home in about 2 more weeks.

Completed engine ... (see above post for HP & torque numbers)

Mating engine with car ...

Fully installed ...

Go here for lots more pics -> https://plus.google.com/photos/11568...4642793/albums
                      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                      Lifer #49

Comment

Looking great!
                        The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
                        ~Ted Nugent

Comment

Very nice! Congrats on getting closer.
                          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Dyno numbers for engine ...

Thanks, guys. It's been a long road, but worth it. Can't wait to mash the gas for the first time, haha. Meanwhile, here's the dyno sheet of the run where the engine got the max numbers ...

Attached Files
                            Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                            Lifer #49

Comment

A few more random photos of the restoration

Thought I'd post a few more photos of the work being done ...

Correcting the area behind the grill. The body shop had painted it same as the body. I found out that Ma Mopar didn't want attention diverted from the grill area so Viau Motorsports set about to correct it. Doesn't show much on darker colored cars but really is evident on the lighter ones, so ...

A couple of interior shots ...
                              Restored dash panel

Rear seat & side trim panel
                              Attached Files
                              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                              Lifer #49

Comment

Looks great!! And I don't know of any engine that didn't cross at 5250.....

Comment

Working...
                                X