(Yet another) Road Runner build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Week 6 update

Called the body shop today. The body man working on the Runner had been out sick for a week or so. Was back at it Monday - more blocking & sanding. Only new thing is the front & rear windows have been removed. Not a lot of change so no real reason for me to make the trip across town to take more pics.

I'll post more pics as the work advances. Gotta get after the machine shop about my engine block now.
    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
    Lifer #49
    Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

Comment

More pics ...

Time for another update ...

11-07-2012
      Stopped in at the body shop this past week to check on progress. The doors & windows have been removed and it looks like we're getting closer to applying some actual paint as opposed to more primer

11-09-2012
      Got a call on Friday from the body shop; owner wanted me to check the paint "tone" and color to be sure I liked it -

WE HAVE PAINT! I LIKE IT!

Looking better all the time. Click the link below to see all the progress pictures ...
      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
      Lifer #49

Comment

Road Runner is PAINTED!

Paint is complete ...

Car is not in the optimum spot to take full body pics, but you get the idea ...

Next comes the art work and lettering.

To see all the photos, click the link at the bottom of my sig ...
        Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
        Lifer #49

Comment

Looking good!
          The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
          ~Ted Nugent

Comment

damn that was fast!
            "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
              damn that was fast!
              :yeah that: Car went into the shop middle of September. One guy working on it 5 days/week since then. There's still work to be done - the shop will probably have the Runner till Christmas. The timeline is what I expected going in.

I just hope I can have the engine assembled by the time the car comes home.

Time will tell
              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
              Lifer #49

Comment

Runner is painted; awaiting pin-striping ...

The Runner body work is 98% complete; pin-striping remains. Some more pics ...

I've got all the pieces for the engine. Will be starting the engine build after the holidays. Progress updates will follow.
                Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                Lifer #49

Comment

Looking good!

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
                  ~Ted Nugent

Comment

bump ...

Been away for awhile; will be updating posting some new pictures soon. To bring things (somewhat) current -

Runner came home from the body shop on February 19th, 5 months to the day I had it towed to the shop. Been in the garage sharing space with engine block and parts. I'm in the process of measuring clearances, ring gaps, etc. I've assembled the heads and done the leg work for installing the girdle when the final assembly point is finally reached. Also been working on putting the body parts back on the car.

I've been slowly collecting new parts as needed - new under hood wiring, under dash wiring, interior pieces, etc. When complete the Runner will have a mostly new interior - carpet, recovered bucket seats, arm rests, etc.

I'll be posting pictures of my progress.
                    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                    Lifer #49

Comment

Time for a few more pictures ...

Some random pictures of the artwork on the Runner ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	hood.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	242151 Click image for larger version

Name:	Fender.stripe.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	242152 Click image for larger version

Name:	bird.on.rear.fender.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	242153 Click image for larger version

Name:	left.b-pillar.art.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	242154

More pictures can be seen by clicking on the album link in my sig. Currently working on the engine - fitting/measuring the piston rings. After that will be degreeing the camshaft. And, speaking of the engine (some may be interested), here's what it'll contain:

1. 440 Block bored .040” over
                      2. Eagle 4.150” stroker crank
                      3. Hughes Icon forged pistons
                      4. Hughes 6160I I-beam rods
                      5. Hughes Main Girdle & Studs kit
                      6. 440 Source 80cc aluminum heads
                      7. Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
                        - Duration at 050 inch Lift: 242 int./248 exh.
                        - Valve Lift: 0.549 int./0.544 exh.
                      8. Howard Roller tappets
                      9. PRW 1.6 Roller Rocker Arms
                      10. Holley 4150 DP carb; 850 cfm
                      11. Edelbrock Intake – either Torker 440 or Performer RPM
                      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                      Lifer #49

Comment

Great artwork! I like.

~Ted Nugent

Comment

Progress - sort of

An update on my rebuild -

One step forward ...

Finished up measuring the ring gaps. So now have all the clearances measured, know what spacers I need
                          to install the girdle, crankshaft spins freely when installed; no binding, etc. Next comes degreeing the cam,
                          measuring for custom push rods and a check of valve clearance, just to be sure.

Two steps back ...

After completing the task of checking ring gaps I started what has always been for me an easy, straight forward
                          task. I'm talkin' 'bout inserting the cam in the block so the specs can be checked/verified. Working with a
                          friend, we proceeded to insert the cam through the cam bearings. All went well till the cam travel reached the last bearing. It went an 1/8" to 3/16" in and stopped. Would go no further, no way, no how. So one of the bearings (either #4 or #5) are the wrong size.

So, I'm now faced with calling the machine shop where I had the machine work done (including the installation of the cam bearings) and telling them that one or more of the bearings they installed are the wrong size. Then I'll muscle the block into my truck, take it to the shop and say .... "FIX IT!"
                          Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                          Lifer #49

Comment

It may not be the wrong size cam bearing as this is a common occurrence especially if the bearings were installed with a 'universal' cam bearing tool. I ended up making my own bearing installation tool after having that problem a few times and haven't had the problem since!

Comment

Got the block back from the machine shop. Now I can move forward and degree the cam.
                              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                              Lifer #49

Comment

A new direction for my Runner re-build

Surprising to realize that it's been almost a year since my last post about my project. As you might imagine, it's been stalled the past 11 months. One reason is time,or lack there of. Working 40 hrs/week and other outside commitments haven't left me much of it. A cramped working space doesn't make working on things any more enjoyable, either. Still wanting to finish the project and actually drive the Runner, I've decided to handle it the American way – throw money at the problem. I'm going to put the rebuild/restore/rejuvenation in the hands of a pro.

From the start of the project I've been talking with (and buying parts from) one of the members of our Mopar Club. Marc Viau has his own Mopar building business – Viau Motorsports (www.viaumotorsports.com)- in Lake Elsinore, CA, (about 100 miles north of where I am in San Diego.) I decided that I need a pro to get all the things done on the Runner that I wanted and that the car needs after 45 years. Items such as sub frame connectors, front end rebuild, front disc brake conversion, rear end rebuild, etc. I don't have the space, tools or expertise to do many of these things. Plus, by letting VMS do even the things I know I can do, they will be done better than I could ever do them myself. In the end I'll have a car that will be better than it was when it rolled out of the assembly plant in LA 45 years ago.

The first order of business was completing a “Scope of Work” document, detailing what I want done and VMS' recommendations for many items that, truthfully, I hadn't ever thought about. Items like re-doing the instrument cluster. Items that, when looking at the whole project, will give a better end result. The document runs to 6 pages. So my “simple” project has grown from my just dropping a new engine under the hood and new gears out the back to something that lies between a restoration and the rejuvenation of a 45 year old car.

One big change that has come about with my talks with Marc is that I'm returning the Runner to its' roots, so to speak. It was originally a 4 speed car when I bought it new. When I went racing I pulled (and sold) the 4 speed, replacing it with a 727 from Bob Mazzolini racing in Riverside. When Marc looked at the Runner he noticed that it still had the 4 speed hump (and clutch pedal ) and said “So, this was originally a 4 speed?” I said that it had been. He proceeded to say that he could put a 4 speed back in. After thinking about it, I agreed – an original 4 speed car should have a 4 speed trans. Marc has located a suitable 4 speed for me. Not just any 4 speed, but an 18 spline, Hemi unit. So, when it is gone through I will have a trans that is better than the one the Runner came with back in '69.

It's things such as the trans that give me the confidence that I'm doing the right thing by paying a pro to complete my project. Marc has been in the business a long time and he does quality work (he's partial to '64 Plymouths). His Demon won the 2010 MoparMuscleMagazine True Street Challenge at the MATS that year. It's going to cost me $$$ but I know the job will be done right. The Runner goes to his shop the latter part of July and I should have it back by the end of the year, or sooner.

Stay tuned – I'll post progress pictures when I can. I'll be making a few trips between here an Lake Elsinore this summer.
                                Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                                Lifer #49

Comment

Working...
                                X