(Yet another) Road Runner build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (Yet another) Road Runner build

I should have begun this thread a month ago. Whatever, I'm starting it now. I finally started the resurrection of my '69 Road Runner. I last drove it at Carlsbad Raceway (RIP) back in 2003. Last run the engine decided it didn't want to stay in one piece.

Long story short - it sat for 8 1/2 years with no engine.

Fast forward to early this year. I've decided to put it back on the street with a 500 cu in stroker motor. So I spent the summer getting it ready for a trip to the body shop to repair the ravages of racing and time. At 43 years old it needs more than a bit of TLC. I removed most of the parts I could to prepare it to be sent to the body shop as a rolling chassis.

So, this past September the body shop finally had an opening for what will be a lengthy stay.

Out of the garage ...

On the truck and to the shop we go ...

This is the progress after a month.

Week 1: Striped bare, revealing all ... Start applying bondo to the low spots ...

Week 2: Continue with more bondo, sanding, blocking, more sanding, blocking, more, more, more ...

Week 3: After 3 weeks she has the first complete coat of primer. More blocking & sanding to come.

Set the hood on to judge the fit. Looking good. Next will come placing the hood pins ...
    Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
    Lifer #49
    Member & webmaster, The Mopar Club of San Diego

Go man!!! I love road runners!

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
      Go man!!! I love road runners!
      It's going to cost me a bundle, but should be awesome when it's done
      Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
      Lifer #49

Comment

Looking good! What color are you going to paint it?
        The retard cannot comprehend that everyone else isn't.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak".
        ~Ted Nugent

Comment

Looks great!
          Shawn
          72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
          89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

Comment

Originally posted by Old_Demon View Post
            Looking good! What color are you going to paint it?
            Color changes are a PITA, unless you are doing a frame up restore, which I'm not. It's going to stay the same color it came with - Yellow Gold. At least that's what the Plymouth Division of Ma Mopar called it. I call it Butterscotch.

I'm going to duplicate (about 90% anyway) the current paint scheme, art work, etc. that I first had done back in 1980. Took it to the same shop that originally did the Runner. The owner is semi-retired, but still keeps his hand in, doing pin stripping, flames, etc. It made sense to me to have him redo his work of 30 years ago.
            Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
            Lifer #49

Comment

Very cool! I kind of have a thing for roadrunners. LOL! Is it an auto or 4-speed?
              "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cool.........Personally I like the butterscotch color....its different. Great thread so far!
                The Ultimate Mopar Fan

72,73,74 Charger- 78 Magnum- 78 Supercoupe- 80 Aspen R/T- 96 Ram- 01 Stratus R/T, 2011 Charger

Comment

Originally posted by hemi67s View Post
                  Very cool! I kind of have a thing for roadrunners. LOL! Is it an auto or 4-speed?
                  I bought it new last day of June 1969. It was a 383 4sp car. In '79 decided to build a 440 for it. A friend (?) talked me into taking it to Carlsbad one Saturday night and I was hooked. A built 727 followed soon after. I eventually sold the 4spd, Hurst shifter, Schiefer clutch & Lakewood scatter shield.

I'm keeping it as an automatic, though I kinda wish I still had the 4 spd (never did remove the 4spd hump from the floor pan, lol).
                  Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                  Lifer #49

Comment

Cool car. I've always missed my roadrunner.

Comment

The only runner I ever had was a 68 coupe in GTX trim. It was a dedicated drag car but it still had decent manners when running around the pits. It ran 10.60's which was fairly decent for the early 80's but now, that's pretty much just a decent ET lol

Comment

Originally posted by Cranky View Post
                        The only runner I ever had was a 68 coupe in GTX trim. It was a dedicated drag car but it still had decent manners when running around the pits. It ran 10.60's which was fairly decent for the early 80's but now, that's pretty much just a decent ET lol
                        10.60's from a 3400 lb car isn't anything to dis regardless of the era you're talking about. My Runner was just a semi stripped down streeter that I bracket raced. Ran 12.0's mostly. With some suspension work (and a better driver ) it would have easily run in the 11's which I'd have been very happy with.

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Week 4: I went to the shop to mark the hood for the pins ...

If you look close, you'll notice that I chose different pin locations than
                        those of a stock six pack ...

I was never totally happy with the stock locations so I chose my own.

Not much action on the Runner this week; I'll see how far they get in another 7 days.
                        Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                        Lifer #49

Comment

Looking good so far....Keep us posted.
                          "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                          -Groucho Marx
                          Moparless for now

Comment

should be a nice car when its done . like to see final project.

Comment

Originally posted by Unfettered View Post
                              Looking good so far....Keep us posted.
                              Originally posted by mpars440
                              should be a nice car when its done . like to see final project.
                              :yeah that: That's a promise.
                              Paul, aka 'zij576ca'
                              Lifer #49

Comment

Working...
                              X