1966 Plymouth Satellite

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1966 Plymouth Satellite

Since I bought this car I have done a lot of little things, so I thought I would start a restoration thread on the car and record my progress as I go along.
    I started off with this:

It's a 1966 Satellite Convertible, It came from the factory loaded with um.. Power Steering and a Power top, Bucket seats and console. It has the HO 273 2 BBL carb with a solid lifter camshaft (factory), and a 904 Transmission. (ok there isn't really anything HO about it )

It still has the original certicard,

and fendertag

It only has a little over 40k showing on the odometer and from the condition of the car... It;s probably closer to 40 than 140. It doesn't look like it was cared for very well, but doesn't appear to have been driven much. Other than one small rust spot inside the trunk, I cannot find any rust on the car. The bottom is still the body color so it looks like someone didn't opt for the under coating. It's originally from California. Most of the car is original except for some replacement parts here and there.

It ran okay when I bought it, you could hear the lifters tapping away but didn't smoke on startup and didn't have any blowby. The brakes were horrendous and really unsafe. They worked, but the pedal was almost to the floor, it had one of those street rod 8" power boosters on it with a chevy style master cylinder. I redid the entire brake system, even though a lot of the parts were new, they were mismatched, installed wrong and/or just defective.
    I went with a newer style aluminum dual reservoir manual master cylinder and put in two residual valves, one for each system of the brakes.

While I was at it and had it apart I replaced both upper control arm bushings and the radius arm bushings and put 4 new shocks on it, It still had the original mopar shocks.

I also replaced the transmission pan gasket as it leaked a little. I did adjust the valves, the engine was really clean inside the cover. I also checked the PVC valve and it didn't work. I found out that it's got the wrong Carb baseplate gasket on it and it's blocking the hole for the pvc vacumm. Much to my dismay, I cut a piece of the gasket off so the PVC would work and now it runs lean and worse than it did before.

The interior is in really good shape, it could use some new carpet and to have the panels repainted, but the seats and all are nice, ugly but nice..

I have plans to paint the car, put a new top on it, and put some Vintage a/c for the hot days. When I paint it, I will probably pull the engine and reseal it and paint the engine bay. My next step is to align the doors and stop the rattling windows.
    His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
    2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

That's a nice project and really cool car. My 67 was a hardtop with a 383 and the best new car that I ever owned. I wish I still had it. Your car was a great find. Good luck getting it the way you want it.

Comment

Nice to see another build on here! I really enjoy reading what everyone does to their cars. So are you painting it the same color?
      "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Nice....Keep this thread updated!
        "You're only as old as the women you feel."
        -Groucho Marx
        Moparless for now

Comment

I have really thought it over and I am probably going back the original color, I am till considering changing it but that would also mean a complete interior color change. The SS1 code is for soft yellow. Not much else would go with the Citron or Gold interior which is really green.
          Last edited by Trannyman; 07-12-2012, 11:27 AM.
          His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
          2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

that is a really nice car,you did good,no bs lol
            1968 dodge charger resto mod
            http://www.moparstyle.com/forums/car...ad.php?t=19039

Comment

Nice find Trannyman. I always loved the 65-67 b-bodies. The 66 Satellite with the 383 and 4-speed that I once had absolutely was the best car I ever owned.

I too look forward to your build and I'm sure you will do it right. Haven't done much to my 67 barracuda cause it's just been too dang hot around here.
              No upfit to a 440?
              stercus accidit

Comment

My first car was a 66 Belvedere II and was also a very good car. And what's a radius arm? Lower control arm? Original shocks...man, those were junk when they were installed new! A true 2 dollar shock.

Comment

No 440 Transplant planned for this car. Maybe a little higher output small block but I need to keep the car drivable.

Radius arm? I guess that's the later models cars name for them. I think they were called strut rods on the old cars. It's the rod that runs from the lower control arm forward to the KFrame.
                  2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

very nice find....will be interesting to watch your progress. Have had (2) 66 Satellite's both hardtops, one was 273 the other was transplanted 440/6pack & 4sp out of a 68 charger that was totaled.....wish I still had that one........Keep us updated
                    340 Swinger

Comment

Pulled the dash today to fix all the lights, turned out to be just a bad ground on the circuit board. Got it all in and they are shining again.

Also pulled the headlight wiring apart. It was dropping 5 volts throughout the wiring, started out at 12.4 at the battery but at the headlight it was down to 7 volts. I think the wiring was just old so I went down and bought two headlight relays and wired them in so the bulbs get voltage direct from the battery.

Sun is going down, I am going out for a spin,
                      2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

Enjoy the drive.

Comment

sounds good.....don't forget the dimer's on the floor.....:ROFLMAO:
                          340 Swinger

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
                            No 440 Transplant planned for this car. Maybe a little higher output small block but I need to keep the car drivable.

Radius arm? I guess that's the later models cars name for them. I think they were called strut rods on the old cars. It's the rod that runs from the lower control arm forward to the KFrame.
                            Yup...strut rod for the old stuff lol

Originally posted by mopars0 View Post
                            sounds good.....don't forget the dimer's on the floor.....:ROFLMAO:
                            LOL

Comment

You just called it HO so people wouldn't realize it was the base V8.

Currently my favorite thing people do with '64-'66 small block cars is running the 273-4 top end dress-up on a later block. So your 318/340/360/408 built up looks like a 273 with the 4bbl parts added.
                              '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Working...
                              X