67 Notchback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67 Notchback

Over the winter I was very bored, no snow to ride in, Demon on the body shop paint stand and Dakota parked at my parents house... So surfing the net I found another project.
    Fairly rough shape but enough to teach myself without going in over my head (I hope!) Drivers quarter was toast so I replaced it, cleaned up the other side and am now waiting on a better bodyman than me to take care of the front fenders.

[IMG]

Now on to the wiring. I bought a Painless harness and am completely rewiring the whole thing.

Will post more as I go. Started it today and it seems the engine bay is wired correct. I have to put a horn on after the new steering wheel gets here. After that I will clean the harness up.
    Shawn
    72 Demon 340 4 speed 3:91
    89 Dakota 408 727 4:10

What kind of seat is that? Are you using those in the car? They look comfy.
    It looks like you are off to a great start.
    The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
    Ronald Reagan

Comment

The seats are out of a chrysler LHS I believe. A co-worker had the car with a bad engine so he told me to take them. I plan on trying to have the rear seats covered to match. I have the chrome trim for a 68 notchback that I bought, now when the glass man gets here I will install the mounting clips and put in the headliner and sail panels. Headlights, taillights and signal lights work! Been a busy couple of months. The painless kit is a very nice piece. Very easy to work with.
      Shawn

Comment

Cool! What ya gonna do with the old steering wheel and kit?

Comment

I know its a ways off but what are your plans for the engine and trans?
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Cool project. Keep us posted.

Comment

I don't mean to be a debbie downer, but why not just go with a full quarter? It could have been done on the seam and the new vinyl would have lain right over the join. It's not for me to say what's wrong and right on anybody's car, but I've never been a huge fan of lapping a new skin over parts of the old one.

The wiring tho? My hat is off to you. It's just one of those things I step back from and ask somebody else to do. Everybody has thier sticking points and "afraid to" spots in a car. Wiring is mine. I know if I did it, left turn signal would equal wipers or something.

Comment

Glad to see you fixed a Mopar rather than part it. I hate to see good cars being parted out.
                In memory of Sgt. Frank Stephens Jr.
                Mission accomplished 12-05-2008

Support our soldiers www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Nice....one of the many cars I'd like to own....
                  "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                  -Groucho Marx
                  Moparless for now

Comment

I did cut all of the old sheetmetal out and seamed it right under the rear roll down window across the top of the trunk and down the center of the taillight. I agree, I do not like piecing it over the other existing metal. I had to straighten the wheel tub and make a new trunk extension. In the pics you can see where I had to cut the extension and straighten the wheel tub.

I am going to use the steering wheel adaptor but have no plans for the wheel itself.

As far as the engine and tranny I would like to put a stroker together for it. It is a 383 engine in there now with auto. It was a 4 speed car origionally so that is not out of the mix. I have a BB belhousing from a 68 RR that I saved many moons ago.

Somebody had intended to race this thing so it was pretty well gutted and sprayed in black primer. The first picture makes it look way worse than it really was. It sat in a barn in Wyoming for several years before I got it. I got ahold of the person that had the title for it and found out some things. First thing was he "had the engine rebuilt along with the tranny" and it was expensive. It does have a adjustable rockers and a few other goodies. :ROFLMAO:Second is that he was behind on rent or something so it was towed and put into storage until he signed the title over. That is when I bought it. I do know it does run and the driveline is brand new. The wiring was burnt up pretty good and they dropped the tank for a fuel cell. I am scraping undercoating, welding small holes shut and doing what my abilities will let me do. I dove in head first and have no regrets yet....
                    Shawn

Comment

Shawn, Its looking 100% better all ready!!!
                      Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax

Comment

Got new gauges today. I am blanking the dash out with an aluminum plate where the gauge cluster was and putting in aftermarket ones. The needle fell off of the old speedo and they were showing their 45 years of age. The gauges under the dash worked fine but I am trying to clean the interior up. I think the aluminum will be painted or powder coated red or black to reduce the shinyness of the plate. Going to put a CD player in also while the dash is apart. The shifter needs moved forward about six inches and seat mounting brackets need to be made. I will then figure the seat wiring out. I have two extra relays in the wiring for acc's. I do not know if I need one for each seat or run two seats off of one relay and the heat off of another relay. Thats a few weeks away. Also got both inner fender splash shields and the trunk trim today. There is a gentleman in Texas that has hooked me up with many parts. Without his assistance I would still be in the dark!
                        Shawn

Comment

Is the wheel grip worn and the spokes rusty? How much do ya want for it?

Comment

Spokes are a little rusty but the grip is ok. You can have it if you want it. P.M yer address and I wil get it out Monday or tuesday.
                            Shawn

Comment

More work done

Lots of grinding and smoothing to go.
                              New headers

and I have been so good that I even have a halo!
                              Shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X