No announcement yet.

1979 Dodge Magnum Resto Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting project. For the hemi to go in there, would you have to change the K-member or maybe you can just get different mounts?
    1975 Charger SE E68 323
    1976 Cordoba 360-4 500 OD 355 Sure Grip
    1977 Cordoba 400-4 727
    1979 Magnum XE 360-4

Comment

Originally posted by Dobaroy View Post
      Interesting project. For the hemi to go in there, would you have to change the K-member or maybe you can just get different mounts?
      There's no reason to change the K-member or the transmission. The mounts are the only thing that need to change. It is not a stock application so mounts must be fabbed or bought. The needed mounts should exist for slightly earlier applications that will work for this. ('73+)

It's also the same for a 4.7. The 4.7 doesn't really have the performance parts available and is a bit lower than the 5.7 to start with. Many 4.7s had forged internals unlike 5.7s, but those had dome pistons for high compression. From what I've gathered, it's possible to run spacers on a 4.7 to run a 4.6 intake. This greatly opens up the possibilities of performance including a carb, aftermarket intake manifolds, and stock supercharger intakes. The appeal of the 4.7 over the 5.7 is while the good ones have 300hp stock, there's actually a noticeable mpg gain over a small block. In a truck, that's only 2 but should be a good bit more in a car.
      '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by 270SE View Post
        There's no reason to change the K-member or the transmission. The mounts are the only thing that need to change. It is not a stock application so mounts must be fabbed or bought. The needed mounts should exist for slightly earlier applications that will work for this. ('73+)

It's also the same for a 4.7. The 4.7 doesn't really have the performance parts available and is a bit lower than the 5.7 to start with. Many 4.7s had forged internals unlike 5.7s, but those had dome pistons for high compression. From what I've gathered, it's possible to run spacers on a 4.7 to run a 4.6 intake. This greatly opens up the possibilities of performance including a carb, aftermarket intake manifolds, and stock supercharger intakes. The appeal of the 4.7 over the 5.7 is while the good ones have 300hp stock, there's actually a noticeable mpg gain over a small block. In a truck, that's only 2 but should be a good bit more in a car.
        Sanded the hood with 80 grit DA and put metal prep on top and bottom of hood

metal prep used.

Hood after the third application of metal prep.

The hod has some waves and a fue little dents. sanded with 36 grit grinder and put bondo on, sanded bondo with 80 DA and blocked with 80 grit.

My son primed the hood.

The door is ready for primer again. sanded with 36 grit, bondo, green primer blocked with 320, pink spot and glazing bondo, sanded with 80 grit, 180 then Prime with gray feather fill primer. Some more pink spot and glazing bondo. sanded with 80 again, 180 and then Green primer again. Ready for primer and 320 wet sand.

Used the green primer. Feather fill would of been better but had to mix green for the hood. I think it will be good after 320 wet sand. I have the hole car ready for 320 wet sand, except the header panel, Getting close now.

Comment

I have a spoiler, the original one. I had it on a trunk section, so rusty. I may have thrown it away, it was really bad. I'll see what I can find.

You'll be dissatisfied w/the spoiler, RC Auto Prod's made it, none I had ever fit. RC made some good stuff, but not this one.

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

update?

Comment

Working...
            X