1979 Dodge Magnum Resto Mod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1979 Dodge Magnum Resto Mod

i had a 1978 magnum in the 1980's it was one of my favorite cars. I now have a 1979 dodge magnum GT. I have had it for several years hoping to rebuild it. It has/had 360 in it, I replaced the distributor and fixed the radiator, rebuild the carb. Had it running good and then the trans went out. So it was time for a total resto/mod. I have stripped it down and just about got it ready for paint. My plan is to put a 5.7 HEMI in it.[IMG]/Users/test/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Pictures/1979 Magnum.jpg[/img]

Sounds cool, but I could not see the pics.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

think and compare

Originally posted by txpowerwagon
      i had a 1978 magnum in the 1980's it was one of my favorite cars. I now have a 1979 dodge magnum GT. I have had it for several years hoping to rebuild it. It has/had 360 in it, I replaced the distributor and fixed the radiator, rebuild the carb. Had it running good and then the trans went out. So it was time for a total resto/mod. I have stripped it down and just about got it ready for paint. My plan is to put a 5.7 HEMI in it.[IMG]/Users/test/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Pictures/1979 Magnum.jpg
      Step back and compare all that you'll need to come up with for the hemi, been there done it, just allow open access to your bank account. I'd be happy to build an a500 pushbutton OD trans for you.
      Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
      "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
      I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

Hi, welcome, and can't wait to see the pictures.

you've come to the right place for your Magnum. Are you on facebook? I have a facebook page for Magnum owners also.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146952895354657/

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

That's a cool project. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Comment

Also, one member here sells the steel K-frame and trans crossmember bushings, and now we have the wiper bushing being repopped as well.

There are a few items out there now, and since you're in Texas, a member here has a rolling chassis parts car.

Comment

Perfect place for a new hemi!
              2006 Town@Country loaded

Comment

i had a 1978 magnum in the 1980's it was one of my favorite cars. I now have a 1979 dodge magnum GT. I have had it for several years hoping to rebuild it. It has/had 360 in it, I replaced the distributor and fixed the radiator, rebuild the carb. Had it running good and then the trans went out. So it was time for a total resto/mod. I have stripped it down and just about got it ready for paint. My plan is to put a 5.7 HEMI in it.[IMG]/Users/test/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Pictures/1979 Magnum.jpg
                Making progress on the Magnum. I cleaned the inside of the hood and trunk with metal prep, wet sanded the hood with 320 on the bottom and let dry. Tapped off all the holes and poured Pores 15 inside it. About a pint and then ran out. Ended up pouring about a pint of paint in and swashed it around. Then removed tape and wiped down all the runs. I had a big mess but I think I got good coverage inside the hood.
                I have tried to post picks but have not been able to get get them to post. I will post some picks after I figure out how.

Comment

With how much 5.7s are to build and rebuild for any amount of power, I'd look at the 360 for the restomod in terms of FI power motor. A 5.7 is still going to be a pushrod motor and you can still put MPFI on a 360.

By the time you bought the 5.7, you could have rebuilt the 360 for more power than it has stock. By the time you made it run, you could have made the 360 fuel injection work well with the car and power.

If you've already got one it'll take a lot of work but you can use the work to trade for money, of course no matter what you do you'll have to work out the trans.

To post pics imageshack is a pretty easy way that I've used for a long time. Others use similar sites to do the same thing. The premium membership offers the ability to post attachments, but non-premium members can't view those any larger than the thumbnail.
                  '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

IMG]/Users/test/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Pictures/1979 Magnum.jpg
                    Picture link doesn't work

Comment

The link is to his computer not the net. Look at the filename
                      Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
                      Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
                      Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

Comment

1979 Magnum resto mod Picks

[/IMG]

I still have not figured out how to post a pick. can some one tell me how or where to find out.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

i had a 1978 magnum in the 1980's it was one of my favorite cars. I now have a 1979 dodge magnum GT. I have had it for several years hoping to rebuild it. It has/had 360 in it, I replaced the distributor and fixed the radiator, rebuild the carb. Had it running good and then the trans went out. So it was time for a total resto/mod. I have stripped it down and just about got it ready for paint. My plan is to put a 5.7 HEMI in it.[IMG]/Users/test/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2007/Pictures/1979 Magnum.jpg[/img]
                        This is what it looked like before i started. The black one is the one I had in the 1980's

Last edited by txpowerwagon; 02-11-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txpowerwagon View Post
                          [/IMG]

I still have not figured out how to post a pick. can some one tell me how or where to find out.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

This is what it looked like before i started. The black one is the one I had in the 1980's

I have got it in primer working on hood and trunk. Still have a fue small spots on the body. I have the door jams and engine compartment finished. It is going to be orange with a dark blue or gray stripe on the trunk and hood, along with the pin stripe on the sides.

Comment

Oh, now I remember this car!!! I tried to buy it a few years ago!!! I thought when I saw it. It resembled one I used to own.

Glad it found a home!!!

Comment

Originally posted by txpowerwagon View Post

This pick has the rear wing setting on it. I got the wing off of ebay a few years ago. It is not an original wing. it was a repop made by RMC ?? I don't remember who made it. It fiberglass and needs trimmed down to fit properly. I would like to know about where the original ones bolted on at. A pick with mounting holes would be nice. I have never seen one on a car other than in pictures and never from inside the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                              X