60 Plymouth Rat Rod

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Plymouth Rat Rod

A few years ago I bought a 60 Plymouth with a 3-on-the-tree and Leaning Tower of Power from the original owner. It came with a log book of every penny of gas, oil and parts (date, miles, description, price) since new.

I had my bud Doc deliver it to my bud Hemityme's place in Conway, AR --and I drove it the 500 miles home in a rainstorm on 30-year-old bias ply tires.

Of all of the cars I have in storage -- it is the only one that will easily start after a few months of setting. Now that the weather is getting cooler and I don't need A/C -- I'm getting it drivable to rotate in as my daily driver. I decided to go with somewhat of a Rat Rod look -- by not redoing the paint and interior (except for seat covers) and putting radial tires with a bias ply look on steel wheels (unless I can find some decent 60s/70s slotted mags). I'm putting in new "Old School" burlap type carpet -- and having the seats covered in the 2 Southwestern bedspreads I just bought.

The seats and carpet are out, and the floor vacuumed. Next week I'll drop the seats off to the interior shop to get new padding and seat covers made/installed out of the blankets.

Then we'll go through suspension to make safe (I drove 100 in rain -- so I hope it doesn't need much); the electrical to fix the brake lights I rigged for the drive home, change the fluids and make all of the adjustments.

Over time I'll look to make the Slant six faster (Clifford head and intake bigger carb, higher lift cam, etc. I'll most likely put in a Hurst three speed floor shifter (I have a spare automatic steering column from a parts 60 Plymouth)

So that's the deal -- I'll update with photos
    Visitors are encouraged to be Members, by registering.
    Members are encouraged to be Participants, by posting.
    Check out my Blog "Life & Times of an Old NSS Racer"

That's a cool driver. Not sure about the bed spreads though Guess they go with the color and rat rod theme. lol

Comment

Awww, that car deserves more than a rat rod resto! Come on man, get it a proper redo and then stick a turbo on that /6 to wake it up a bit

Comment

Its gonna be perfect./........I love a well executed rat rod
        Eastern Washington desert rat......The dry side of the state

Comment

It will be a cool driver for sure!
          "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Stumper View Post
            Awww, that car deserves more than a rat rod resto! Come on man, get it a proper redo and then stick a turbo on that /6 to wake it up a bit

Got a long list of cars waiting to be restored. Some day I was hoping to make a Petty NASCAR clone of the car -- but I need to drive it in the meantime. The paints is old, faded, dull, and thin on the fender tops, the seats are ripped and the foam is turning to dust. The tires are 30 years old. I figure this is the quickest/cheapest way to make the car my winter driver.

Comment

The right place!

With turning up an in line 4 or 6 cylinder with out of the box parts, Clifford is the only way to go! Good luck!
              Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
              "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
              I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

I think that is a great idea. Have some fun with it Dave! If it proves to be a reliable winter driver, maybe it will be deserving of an AC conversion for summer.
                There is someone around here with a 58 Chev rat rod (I think "Rustom" is more fitting). I saw a 59 Caddy 4 door rustom running around yesterday.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 PM ----------

It might make a good candidate for chrome steelies. It would look good with body color steelies, chrome rings and baby moons too.
                The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'
                Ronald Reagan

Comment

Please don't call it a Rat Rod........It has way more dignity than that.

I wouldn't touch the paint, I would go with some 60's green pattern on the seats and drive the hell out of it. That's cooler than heck.
                  His car wasn't that fast, I caught him on the return road and passed him in the pits.
                  2006 Dodge 2500 CTD

Comment

I like. Looks like it's in really good shape.

1960 Plymouth Home Page
                    2010 Charger R/T

Comment

Originally posted by Trannyman View Post
                      Please don't call it a Rat Rod........It has way more dignity than that.

I wouldn't touch the paint, I would go with some 60's green pattern on the seats and drive the hell out of it. That's cooler than heck.
                      I already ordered the turquoise blanket, but I think I'll order these too and see what will look better.

I'm thinking some longhorns on the hood

Comment

Rat rods is nothing more than a hot rod full of rats.....

Comment

floor shifter

when ya get the floor shifter in, will the shift knob stick up thru the sunroof like an Ed Roth drawing?, or just about radio in the dash high?:yeah that:
                          Please help support for Breast Cancer, ALS, and Astrocytoma, Brain Cancer.
                          "At 200 MPH, you have no friends"
                          I promise to defend my country against all enemies, foreign and domestic!

Comment

As tall of a 3-speed Hurst as I can find

Comment

Anyone remember the "indian blanket" motif from the mid/late 70's in some Dobas?

bringin' em back ~ to the Dodge Mahal !!....

Where old Magnums can find a home.. :angel:

Comment

Working...
                              X