66-67 Coronet 500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66-67 Coronet 500

New to the older Mopar cars so I'm not sure where to look for a lot of answers. I have found what appears to be a '66 or '67 Coronet 500 but it has some front end damage. Not a lot but it appears that I'd need a core support, both front fenders, hood, and the rest of the front end goodies. Floors look pretty good and the rest of the car is not bad at all.

Just how hard is it to find the parts I'd need to get this car repaired and looking good again? I'd hate to buy it and have it sit for years while trying to track stuff down. I think it would be a great street/strip car with some time spent in Nostalgia Muscle Car at the NMCA.
    S.D. Wheeler
    2X FFW Champion

I got rid of my '67 Coronet due to problems finding the 2 year only parts. There are fiberglass fenders available, but things like the headlight surrounds, front trim are hard to find and pretty expensive when you can find them. Besides the Coronet, most of the front end parts from the Charger of the same year will interchange.
    "You're only as old as the women you feel."
    -Groucho Marx
    Moparless for now

Comment

I have a 67 mo door sitting here with a decent front end on it and the core support is nice. It's a V8 car with ac so it has the large opening. Yup, they are not real easy to find parts for but they are not like an E body either where you have to give up your first born in order to afford them....welcome to the site!

Comment

I have a 67 parts car sitting here too. Fair front clip Good support.
        2 TIME (soon to be 3 time) 1000+ member EAGLES CLUB PRES.
        "PEOPLE HELPING PEOPLE"

Comment

Well S.D., looks like you came to the right place for parts!

Comment

I too have a 67 4 door 500 sitting here with a fair front clip.& good support
            Looks like we got most of the US covered for you !!!
            Hemi: (HEM -e) adj. Mopar in type, V8, native to the United States, carnivorous, eats primarily Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes. Also enjoys smoking a good import now and then to relax

Comment

Originally posted by 6dodge7 View Post
              I too have a 67 4 door 500 sitting here with a fair front clip.& good support
              Looks like we got most of the US covered for you !!!
              LOL! Yup

Comment

i have a 66 and had no problem finding a couple 4 door parts cars.
                pentastar power

Comment

Guess it's time to call the guy and see what I can do. Thanks guys! When I get it back here I'll be talking to you guys with parts asap. Damn Cranky....just noticed you're in Pasadena. I'm out in Crosby.

I really appreciate your help.

Then a nice 440/Torqeflite combo and easy mid-11's.
                  Last edited by ShadowLands; 06-14-2010, 09:33 PM.
                  S.D. Wheeler
                  2X FFW Champion

Comment

There's probably local junkyards you don't yet know about that have exactly what you'll ever need. They are actually really good starting points for such an effort.
                    '67 Dart 270 4 door '72 340(9.5:1), 727, 8-3/4", A/C, original interior, big bolt discs

'77 Aspen SE 2 door '77 318, 998,8-1/4",A/C, Cruise control car,power discs,power steering

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowLands View Post
                      Damn Cranky....just noticed you're in Pasadena. I'm out in Crosby.
                      Cool! You won't have to go very far for parts lol. The trunk lid on this thing is nearly perfect which is rare. The floor boards are too. I've been beside myself trying to decide what to do with it. The interior isn't torn up either but is dry as can be. Btw, do you know Paul Wright on 1960 and 2100? Haven't heard about him in a long time but he used to have a huge yard of cars....all Mopars.

Comment

I've heard the name but haven't seen or heard anything out of him in a few years.
                        S.D. Wheeler
                        2X FFW Champion

Comment

Talked to the owner this evening. Nice enough guy. Doesn't want the car to go to someone who will end up hacking it to pieces. Fine with me. I don't like to hack shit up anyway. Seems the car also comes with a similar year 4 door Coronet that was sitting right next to this one. My dumbass didn't even look at the other car. Too jaded with all this late model stuff I guess. Haven't gone old car shopping in years.

Anyway, besides the front end stuff it also needs a wiring harness due to a small fire that happened with the wreck. Cranky...I'll probably still need some parts from you. This two door has no interior but the floor pans looked surprisingly good. Not really any rust problems to speak of. One small area in the trunk but less than the size of a quarter. No engine or transmission. Originally a small block/automatic car. Has an 8 3/4 rear end. He said a 2.94 gear. Not knowing for sure I didn't push that issue.

He's asking $1700 for the whole package and sounds like he'll take a little less. Seems his wife has a Z28 that needs interior work and she's on his ass about it. Here's a few pics. Am I pushing my luck since this would be my first Mopar or is this a decent starting point?

Last edited by ShadowLands; 06-15-2010, 10:56 PM.
                          S.D. Wheeler
                          2X FFW Champion

Comment

I think there are worse deals out there. Both cars for $1700 isn't totally a bad deal as many of the parts are interchangeable, and you'd have a full front clip (if the 4-door is in good shape). You would also be able to move most of the drivetrain (not sure if the driveshaft is the same between the two) or at least have some of the small parts available.
                            "You're only as old as the women you feel."
                            -Groucho Marx
                            Moparless for now

Comment

The hardest parts to find for a 500 are the grille and taillight section and that one looks to have the chrome that's 500 only across the back. Take a look at the 4 door and you should see the differences in the tail....btw, they made 500's in 4 door too. If you can, check the frame rails to make sure the damage is up front only and didn't progress behind the K frame. You can look under the 4 door to get an idea of what it should look like unless it's damaged too. It's good that is has very little rust but looking under the back window area may show repairs. Mopars usually had lousy window seals from day one.

Comment

Working...
                              X