radiator question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator question

I need a radiator for my 78 Fury. was hoping someone had a copper/brass modine or something like that around but most everyone wants to sell me a Toyota looking POS plastic tank/aluminum core thing...
    I found a couple places online that offer a 100% aluminum, tanks and all one for it. Radiator Express has a 100% aluminum TIG welded 2 row "heavy duty" one for what seems a good price, salesman says made in USA and lifetime warranty.
    My question is this/ I am leaning towards that solid aluminum one, certainly do not want the plastic tanked POS even though it is $100 less.... but now I am adding in another different metal to the mix. The dash ahs never been out so the heater core is still the original copper/brass one. With a cast iron block, heads and intake, copper and brass in the heater core and now throwing an aluminum radiator into the mix. Will I have to worry about a reaction between all these different metals and something getting "eaten" away, like boats whose steel hull gets eaten away (that's why they attach hunks of zinc on them so the zinc gets eaten rather than the steel) they offer some kind of zinc petcock for an additional $18.95 that they claim to "sell the Hell out of" but made no mention of it being mandatory for the warranty to be good, etc... Any thoughts?

Years ago, when aluminum first became common in engines and radiators, innocent ignorance caused me a lot of problems with cooling system corrosion. Wise men told me to change anti-freeze every year, but since the color remained nice, my frugality won over. When I was finally convinced that the cheap way was the expensive way, I did change every year, using a premium brand, and dis-similar corrosion ceased being a problem. My understanding now is that modern anti-freeze contains enough corrosion inhibiters to prevent the problem that concerns you, and even though a couple of my old cars have aluminum intakes and custom made aluminum radiators, I have not had corrosion issues for years. The heat/AC systems still contain copper based parts, so the same ingredients are there.

Don't take it as advice....just one man's experience.
    My book store: http://www.wings-press.com/

Comment

and you can but a small bottle of formula that counteracts the metals fighting each other. I have a Ford diesel truck that you have to add their additive annually.

I replace with aluminum and paint black. While aluminum doesn't cool quite as well as brass, it is stronger so you can add a bigger psi cap to compensate.
      My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

the one I was considering was a 2 row, "heavy duty", I have since found a 3 row on FEEBAY that I am waiting to hear back about a question I had about it.

Comment

I've bought many three row that cooled less that a quality two row. It all has to do with the size of the tubes. I'd rather a big tube two row than a small tune three row.
          My image posting solution was to go to Southern Star Hosting, to register the domain of www.OldHippiesPhotos.com for less than $10, and hosting for less than $5 a month. I then installed the Free Application Zen Photo with one click from my Control Panel. I have tens of thousands of my photo digitized, which in time I'll upload there to preserve from disaster, and access from anywhere. In the meantime it makes for a great place to host my forum photos - plus I can still install 24 more free applications on that site if I cared to.

Comment

well the original is a single row and (I think) partially plugged towards the bottom... so either a new 2 or 3 row would have to be an improvement.... only a 318 (2 bbl for now) not exactly a fire breather,,,, loves to cruise the highway around 70mph due to its 2.xx gear....

Comment

well I got a 3 row from Ledfoot racing Champion brand 3 row delivered 2 days ago.... look good so far... hope to swap it in this weekend.

Comment

Working...
              X