PDA

View Full Version : 66-67 Coronet 500

ShadowLands
06-13-2010, 08:23 PM
New to the older Mopar cars so I'm not sure where to look for a lot of answers. I have found what appears to be a '66 or '67 Coronet 500 but it has some front end damage. Not a lot but it appears that I'd need a core support, both front fenders, hood, and the rest of the front end goodies. Floors look pretty good and the rest of the car is not bad at all.

Just how hard is it to find the parts I'd need to get this car repaired and looking good again? I'd hate to buy it and have it sit for years while trying to track stuff down. I think it would be a great street/strip car with some time spent in Nostalgia Muscle Car at the NMCA.

Unfettered
06-14-2010, 09:26 AM
I got rid of my '67 Coronet due to problems finding the 2 year only parts. There are fiberglass fenders available, but things like the headlight surrounds, front trim are hard to find and pretty expensive when you can find them. Besides the Coronet, most of the front end parts from the Charger of the same year will interchange.

Cranky
06-14-2010, 10:41 AM
I have a 67 mo door sitting here with a decent front end on it and the core support is nice. It's a V8 car with ac so it has the large opening. Yup, they are not real easy to find parts for but they are not like an E body either where you have to give up your first born in order to afford them....welcome to the site!

Only Mopars
06-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I have a 67 parts car sitting here too. Fair front clip Good support.

Cranky
06-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Well S.D., looks like you came to the right place for parts!

6dodge7
06-14-2010, 01:59 PM
I too have a 67 4 door 500 sitting here with a fair front clip.& good support
Looks like we got most of the US covered for you !!!

Cranky
06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
I too have a 67 4 door 500 sitting here with a fair front clip.& good support
Looks like we got most of the US covered for you !!!LOL! Yup

daredevil
06-14-2010, 08:16 PM
i have a 66 and had no problem finding a couple 4 door parts cars.

ShadowLands
06-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Guess it's time to call the guy and see what I can do. Thanks guys! When I get it back here I'll be talking to you guys with parts asap. <edit> Damn Cranky....just noticed you're in Pasadena. I'm out in Crosby.

I really appreciate your help.

Then a nice 440/Torqeflite combo and easy mid-11's.

270SE
06-14-2010, 10:32 PM
There's probably local junkyards you don't yet know about that have exactly what you'll ever need. They are actually really good starting points for such an effort.

Cranky
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Damn Cranky....just noticed you're in Pasadena. I'm out in Crosby. Cool! You won't have to go very far for parts lol. The trunk lid on this thing is nearly perfect which is rare. The floor boards are too. I've been beside myself trying to decide what to do with it. The interior isn't torn up either but is dry as can be. Btw, do you know Paul Wright on 1960 and 2100? Haven't heard about him in a long time but he used to have a huge yard of cars....all Mopars.

ShadowLands
06-15-2010, 04:17 PM
I've heard the name but haven't seen or heard anything out of him in a few years.

ShadowLands
06-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Talked to the owner this evening. Nice enough guy. Doesn't want the car to go to someone who will end up hacking it to pieces. Fine with me. I don't like to hack shit up anyway. Seems the car also comes with a similar year 4 door Coronet that was sitting right next to this one. My dumbass didn't even look at the other car. Too jaded with all this late model stuff I guess. Haven't gone old car shopping in years.

Anyway, besides the front end stuff it also needs a wiring harness due to a small fire that happened with the wreck. Cranky...I'll probably still need some parts from you. This two door has no interior but the floor pans looked surprisingly good. Not really any rust problems to speak of. One small area in the trunk but less than the size of a quarter. No engine or transmission. Originally a small block/automatic car. Has an 8 3/4 rear end. He said a 2.94 gear. Not knowing for sure I didn't push that issue.

He's asking $1700 for the whole package and sounds like he'll take a little less. Seems his wife has a Z28 that needs interior work and she's on his ass about it. Here's a few pics. Am I pushing my luck since this would be my first Mopar or is this a decent starting point?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x251/shadowlandsracing/misc%20stuff/coronet1-2.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x251/shadowlandsracing/misc%20stuff/coronet3-1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x251/shadowlandsracing/misc%20stuff/coronet2-1.jpg

Unfettered
06-16-2010, 09:51 AM
I think there are worse deals out there. Both cars for $1700 isn't totally a bad deal as many of the parts are interchangeable, and you'd have a full front clip (if the 4-door is in good shape). You would also be able to move most of the drivetrain (not sure if the driveshaft is the same between the two) or at least have some of the small parts available.

Cranky
06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
The hardest parts to find for a 500 are the grille and taillight section and that one looks to have the chrome that's 500 only across the back. Take a look at the 4 door and you should see the differences in the tail....btw, they made 500's in 4 door too. If you can, check the frame rails to make sure the damage is up front only and didn't progress behind the K frame. You can look under the 4 door to get an idea of what it should look like unless it's damaged too. It's good that is has very little rust but looking under the back window area may show repairs. Mopars usually had lousy window seals from day one.

BK
06-16-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a complete wiring harness for a 65 that was pulled out of my Coronet when it was made a race car. I'd have to guess they're closely related. you can have it -- but you got to come and get it at my shop in Richmond.

Let me know if you're interested -- and I'll see if I can put my hands on it.

270SE
06-16-2010, 09:41 PM
You could swap the drivetrain, 4/2 door for the same model of these year cars are the same. (Dodge versus Plymouth can matter)

They both have 8.75"s. Maybe the 4 door will have gears you like more. If the 4 door is complete, it may have the harness you need. There wasn't a whole lot of difference between 2 and 4 doors, except for body metal.

It could be a good deal. There may be lower prices, but they may be further away in condition or distance.

Cranky
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
You could swap the drivetrain, 4/2 door for the same model of these year cars are the same. (Dodge versus Plymouth can matter)Not sure I understand what you mean by Dodge vs Plymouth can matter.....

270SE
06-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Not sure I understand what you mean by Dodge vs Plymouth can matter.....
The wheelbase and driveshaft length was different between some equivalent Dodge and Plymouth models. Like Valiant vs. Dart.

Sandy's 440
06-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Just a heads up hubby has charger grills in all three of the 67 Coronets, they look awsome.

Cranky
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I've done a bit of mixing of parts over the years.....and thought about sticking 67 Belvedere front and rear on my 66. Some class racers to that because of more favorable rules for one year or the other on lots of different makes of cars that have like bodies.

440 birdman
06-29-2010, 02:37 PM
hey,,i have a 66 coronet 500 convertible,,intact and runs great,318 powered,,severely rusted lowers and under carriage,not worth fixing,,front end is good condition,grilles chrome trim bumpers etc,i beleive fenders hood etc are fine also,will check it out this week,,,,,,,trouble is i live in northern british columbia canada,so shipping would cost a few bucks extra,,,,,, bernie,,,,,,,

hemi67s
06-29-2010, 05:13 PM
I agree if the frame rails are not too messed up, then they seem to be a nice find.

Cranky
09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey SL...anything new on this? Did you buy the cars?